Best father in series?

dariopatke

4 hours ago, dariopatke said:

Aemon was offered because they didn't want a man like Aegon who grew up with commoners to be a King, Dickon would a good lord of HH and it wont be necessary to pick Sam and Sam wont want it. Why would Randyll care? He got rid of him, of he is one percent a father he would care about his son enough not to send him to death.

"To be a good soldier you must love the army. But to be a good officer you must be willing to order the death of the thing you love. This is...a very hard thing to do. No other profession requires it. That is one reason why there are so very few good officers. Although there are many good men."

-Robert E Lee

Randyll is accounted the greatest soldier in the Seven Kingdoms. He treats his sons exactly as his soldiers and himself. 

Good fathers: Evenstar, Oberyn Martell, Ned Stark, Walder Frey, Davos.

Fathers with good intentions but fails miserably: Tywin, Stannis, Randyll Tarly, Robert Baratheon,

Ambitious fathers who use their kids: Rickard Stark, Hoster Tully, Mace Tyrell, Doran Martell, Tywin (he is a complicated father character)

Evil fathers: Craster, Roose Bolton

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 5:28 AM, Lord Varys said:

I mean the truth that the brothers of the Night's Watch are almost exclusively unwashed criminals. For some reason the Starks failed to mention that to Jon Snow. And the North is clearly to blame as much for this development as the other regions since nothing suggests that the Starks or the other Northmen try to stop it by sending more noble volunteers to the Wall. It seems that the average Northman and the average Southron both are equally uninterested in joining the NW unless they are forced to.

There are no Umbers, Karstark, Bolton, Dustin, Glover, Ryswell, Manderly, Tallhart, etc. black brothers at the Wall we know of right now. And we would know if those people existed because they would be part of the leadership of the NW. Not to mention that there isn't even a Snow up there, not one noble Northern bastard who tried to make a career at the NW.

The point is that there is no way a hint that Jon Snow had an alternative besides going to the Wall. After the conversation between Ned, Catelyn, and Luwin Winterfell no longer was his home. The idea of him fostering somewhere else never comes up - perhaps he had the choice between the Wall and becoming homeless? But that isn't a real choice at all, or is it?

The fact is that Jon Snow no longer had the choice between staying at Winterfell with his brothers or joining the Night's Watch. And since we don't know what Ned said to him it is entirely likely that Ned Stark did make it clear to him that he had either go to the Wall or fend for himself somewhere. Just go back and reread the bedchamber conversation. Ned, Catelyn, and Luwin decide Jon Snow's fate. And Ned makes it clear that he is going to tell Jon Snow what has been decided. There is no mention of him asking Jon whether he still wants to go to the Wall, or whether he wants to do something else entirely.

It is certainly possible that Jon Snow never really felt the fact that he had to go to the Wall because he still wanted to go. But the fact that Bran tells us he is angry and pissed on the day before they are all supposed to leave is a hint in another direction. Remember that Ned decided not to tell Jon Snow where he had to go until he felt he was ready. Because he wanted Jon to live some more happy days. This means the last conversation between Ned and Jon sort of went like that: 'Boy, in X days I'll go south to KL. In my absence, there is no place for you at Winterfell and I won't take you with me to court. I've been told that you want to join the NW. Very well. You'll leave for the Wall on the same day I leave. Have a nice day.'

I certainly want that the situation was different, but the actual conversation between Ned, Catelyn, and Luwin makes it clear that Jon's decision to go to the Wall - and the precise date when this was going to happen - was made for him, not by him.

Eddard is lord of Winterfell. He could have kept Jon there regardless of what Catelyn says. It may have been rough and I'm sure Jon would know that. Tell Jon he could be a NW or be under Catelyns rule may hay persuaded Jon but I honestly doubt Jon was barred from winterfell, regardless what Cat said. Jon wanted to join the NW. That's why he joined.

9 minutes ago, Trogdor Targaryen said:

Eddard is lord of Winterfell. He could have kept Jon there regardless of what Catelyn says. It may have been rough and I'm sure Jon would know that. Tell Jon he could be a NW or be under Catelyns rule may hay persuaded Jon but I honestly doubt Jon was barred from winterfell, regardless what Cat said. Jon wanted to join the NW. That's why he joined.

Catelyn made it clear that there was no place at Winterfell while she served as Ned's regent there. And Ned did name her ruler of Winterfell in his absence, and accepted her view on Jon. One assumes that Ned could have forced her to allow Jon to stay, but the boy wouldn't have had many happy moments there afterwards. Catelyn could even have taken steps to poison the relationship between Robb and Jon in such a scenario - which may have been the reason why Ned didn't force the issue.

Pretty much in the beginning of the series feels contrived, especially the forced separation of the Starks in the beginning of AGoT. The Jon Snow story would have worked much better if he really had decided to join the NW of his own free will, and if the book had included a final conversation between Ned and Jon. The way things are, Jon's own wish to join the NW is pretty much irrelevant because it seems as if the decision was made in Catelyn's bedchamber. The words exchanged there do not suggest that Jon Snow could have changed his mind - say, tell his father that he wanted to stay in Winterfell for a few more years before going to the Wall, or completely drop the idea of joining the NW in exchange for the opportunity to accompany his father, the new Hand (an appointment Jon didn't new anything about when he talked to Benjen during the feast) to KL to make himself a career in the capital (say, by joining the City Watch, or something like that).

Archived