Who will sit the Ironthrone in the end?

norwaywolf123

On 4/2/2016 at 5:26 AM, Lord_Ravenstone said:

The last time that Targaryens practiced polygamous marriage was under Aegon since they got married before they converted to the Faith. 

The only other person to try for a polygamous marriage was Maegor the Cruel and the Faith threw a shit fit over it.

Any "marriage" between Rhaegar and Lyanna will be viewed as illegimate by the Faith 

Correct.  Jon is a bastard.  That's part of his identity.  It doesn't mean he won't play an important role (hopefully he becomes the a white walker and serve the night's king) just not sit on the Iron Throne.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/04/2016 at 10:26 AM, Lord_Ravenstone said:

The last time that Targaryens practiced polygamous marriage was under Aegon since they got married before they converted to the Faith. 

The only other person to try for a polygamous marriage was Maegor the Cruel and the Faith threw a shit fit over it.

Any "marriage" between Rhaegar and Lyanna will be viewed as illegimate by the Faith 

Assuming that the Faith of the Seven retains its political power by the end of the series.  Neither Dany nor Jon are devout followers of it and there are plenty of important people who'd happily see it's power curbed given how it's been throwing it's weight around lately.  A nice, compliant High Septon could be talked into accepting it, I'm sure.

On 03/04/2016 at 1:37 PM, Mike Scott said:

Jon is definitely not a bastard, because Robb legitimised him before dying. Robb thought that Jon was the son of Ned rather than Lyanna, but the decree of legitimisation may have been phrased in such as way that it still applies once Jon's true parentage is revealed.

Fair point - well made (I was referring to bastard-born as opposed to legitimised bastard but you are quite right, he's legit either way)

I really hope someone kept that letter safe somewhere, was it Glover he gave it to?

1 hour ago, JPT said:

Fair point - well made (I was referring to bastard-born as opposed to legitimised bastard but you are quite right, he's legit either way)

I really hope someone kept that letter safe somewhere, was it Glover he gave it to?

I thought it went with someone looking for Howland reed and who has not been seen in some time. 

A legitimized Edric Storm, for me.

I reckon Daenerys and Aegon are going to off each other at the end of the next book and Jon'll do the Prince That Was Promised thing, prove himself the rightful King and save the Realm, but he'll die doing so. That'll leave Stannis, finally getting the Throne he craved for so long just as he accepts that it never really belonged to him. He'll be haunted by what he did to Renly, and what he came so close to doing to Edric, and legitimize Edric and name him heir as a means of atonement to both his brothers. Shireen, sadly, is probably toast.

Edric'll marry Sansa finally uniting the Starks and Baratheons on the third attempt.

That's my ideal ending anyway.

29 minutes ago, UnFit Finlay said:

A legitimized Edric Storm, for me.

I reckon Daenerys and Aegon are going to off each other at the end of the next book and Jon'll do the Prince That Was Promised thing, prove himself the rightful King and save the Realm, but he'll die doing so. That'll leave Stannis, finally getting the Throne he craved for so long just as he accepts that it never really belonged to him. He'll be haunted by what he did to Renly, and what he came so close to doing to Edric, and legitimize Edric and name him heir as a means of atonement to both his brothers. Shireen, sadly, is probably toast.

Edric'll marry Sansa finally uniting the Starks and Baratheons on the third attempt.

That's my ideal ending anyway.

Man have i never thought of the possibility that stannis would make it to the end of the books. 

Just now, The Great and Mighty Poo said:

Like a Constitutional Monarch?

Maybe a few hundred years after the end of the story that's what it will become but the actions that lay the foundation for that would be cool like the creation of a permanent great council would be good. 

2 minutes ago, 239JMFL34109 said:

Maybe a few hundred years after the end of the story that's what it will become but the actions that lay the foundation for that would be cool like the creation of a permanent great council would be good. 

Something like the Magna Carta? IMO, that's how Robert's Rebellion should have ended. 

1 minute ago, The Great and Mighty Poo said:

Something like the Magna Carta? IMO, that's how Robert's Rebellion should have ended. 

yeah something that points to walking away from this insanity of death trying to figure out who belongs on the dumb chair would be my happy ending. 

14 hours ago, 239JMFL34109 said:

I thought it went with someone looking for Howland reed and who has not been seen in some time. 

Would make sense if he was the one who came forward - given that he was there at the Tower of Joy, much could be explained in one go.  Bit peeved that he's not been so much as mentioned in the TV series but then that's a rant that could go on for some time!

Archived