Did GRRM make the Lannisters too strong?

James Steller

2 minutes ago, Señor de la Tormenta said:

The tyrells wouldn had move without a deal with the Lannisters. If Tywin could march to the westerlands, then there would had been no deal. 

Why? If anything being the sole saviours of the city will give them even more of a hold over the court. 

55 minutes ago, Señor de la Tormenta said:

well, thats your opinion.

No, it is not really my opinion just that one of us understands what plot armour is. Tywin Lannister, killed on the shitter, did not have plot armour.

Nor do the Lannisters as a whole have plot armour, like you wrongly claimed.

"I’ve lost a hand, a father, a son, a sister, and a lover, and soon enough I will lose a brother. And yet they keep telling me House Lannister has won this war."

Jon Snow and Dany seemingly have plot armour, somehow getting stronger as the series progresses. The Lannisters not so much.

what if edmure did as he was told and let tywin go back to the westerlands.

and what if a raven went to the Golden Tooth and reached Tywin or a messenger caught up with him and he simply turned around?

Not that it mattered, the Tyrells were already heading to Kings Landing with or without Tywin.

He would then be trapped by robb,

Don't be ridiculous. A 6,000 Westerland army would not be able to trap a ( at least) 20k Northern army in the North and the same is true here. Tywin had 20k, around 7k of which was mounted. He had Forely Prester's men at the Golden Tooth, he had the remnants of the Staffords army at Lannisport and the garrisons at every Westerland castle available to him. Not only was he not going to be trapped in his own lands but he would have soundly beat Robb.

The person who was actually lucky in that situation was the injured Robb Stark who was bed ridden at the Crag.

and KL would had fallen under Stannis. How is this not a crushing defeat?

Tywin, though he commanded the battle, was not really vital to it. The Tyrells had Stannis beat with or without Tywin.

how  could he face the vale knights helping the starks and the tullies?,

Who is to say they all would? The author himself says they were conflicted and there were many who would support Joffrey.

how could he know, when he was in harrenthal, that Lysa, the one who started the whole mess atacking his family members, was secretly under baelish commands not to enter the war?

He didnt. How is that plot armour?

How can we think this was a well, calculated gamble, when he gambled with things he didnt know? The whole Vale was pressing to go to war!!! then, and before

No, not the whole Vale. Well at least not according to the author.

and how could he know Balon was going to attack the north,

He didn't. At what point did he claim to? How exactly is that plot armour for the Lannisters or Tywin?

Balon attacked a land that had no Navy or no real soldiers defending its capital. That is not plot armour, I really suggest you research what words mean before you decide to argue with others about them.

planting the seed to robbs doom by treasson and the breaking of the tully-stark front? he had no hand even in robb dumbliy upseting the freys.

Who claimed he did? And once again how is that plot armour?

People make mistakes in war. Jaime and Stafford had no scouts watching for enemies and were well and truly beaten. Mistakes happen on all sides.

every single normal scenario ends with the lannisters being crushed.

lol no it does not.

and you insist that he was not lucky during the war of the five kings?

Where did I insist that?

Every single successful commander in history will have been lucky at some point. The best ones know when to take advantage of their luck and use it, the weaker ones don't.

But lets be real, Tywin was hugely unlucky. His two idiot children cuckolded the king when Tywin had arranged for his grandchildren to be loyalty. His idiot grandson stupidly executed Ned Stark rather than keep him alive as a hostage and Tyrion happens to be in one random inn at the exact same time an angry Cat Stark is there causing him to make enemies of the Riverlords. Renly decides to betray his brothers son and proclaim himself King. Oh and Tyrion is allowed to escape at the exact moment he is on the toiletm with Shae and unarmed.  All in all Tywin had his fair share of shitty luck in the series.

1 hour ago, thelittledragonthatcould said:

No, it is not really my opinion just that one of us understands what plot armour is. Tywin Lannister, killed on the shitter, did not have plot armour.

Nor do the Lannisters as a whole have plot armour, like you wrongly claimed.

"I’ve lost a hand, a father, a son, a sister, and a lover, and soon enough I will lose a brother. And yet they keep telling me House Lannister has won this war."

Jon Snow and Dany seemingly have plot armour, somehow getting stronger as the series progresses. The Lannisters not so much.

and what if a raven went to the Golden Tooth and reached Tywin or a messenger caught up with him and he simply turned around?

Not that it mattered, the Tyrells were already heading to Kings Landing with or without Tywin.

Don't be ridiculous. A 6,000 Westerland army would not be able to trap a ( at least) 20k Northern army in the North and the same is true here. Tywin had 20k, around 7k of which was mounted. He had Forely Prester's men at the Golden Tooth, he had the remnants of the Staffords army at Lannisport and the garrisons at every Westerland castle available to him. Not only was he not going to be trapped in his own lands but he would have soundly beat Robb.

The person who was actually lucky in that situation was the injured Robb Stark who was bed ridden at the Crag.

Tywin, though he commanded the battle, was not really vital to it. The Tyrells had Stannis beat with or without Tywin.

Who is to say they all would? The author himself says they were conflicted and there were many who would support Joffrey.

He didnt. How is that plot armour?

No, not the whole Vale. Well at least not according to the author.

He didn't. At what point did he claim to? How exactly is that plot armour for the Lannisters or Tywin?

Balon attacked a land that had no Navy or no real soldiers defending its capital. That is not plot armour, I really suggest you research what words mean before you decide to argue with others about them.

Who claimed he did? And once again how is that plot armour?

People make mistakes in war. Jaime and Stafford had no scouts watching for enemies and were well and truly beaten. Mistakes happen on all sides.

lol no it does not.

Where did I insist that?

Every single successful commander in history will have been lucky at some point. The best ones know when to take advantage of their luck and use it, the weaker ones don't.

But lets be real, Tywin was hugely unlucky. His two idiot children cuckolded the king when Tywin had arranged for his grandchildren to be loyalty. His idiot grandson stupidly executed Ned Stark rather than keep him alive as a hostage and Tyrion happens to be in one random inn at the exact same time an angry Cat Stark is there causing him to make enemies of the Riverlords. Renly decides to betray his brothers son and proclaim himself King. Oh and Tyrion is allowed to escape at the exact moment he is on the toiletm with Shae and unarmed.  All in all Tywin had his fair share of shitty luck in the series.

Mine and yours are just opinions. Its nothing more than a fantasy book.

Since I wont like to engange in an unrespectul disccusion, calling others opinions ridiculous, (ass robbs stark own opinion it seams), Im just calling the day.

Bye, Im off  to research what words mean. It might take me a while.

Archived