The Terry Pratchett Thread

Jayoh

I don't think he really hate vampires per se. After all Otto, the vampire who works for The Ankh-Morpork Time isn't evil

No, but he's on record as hating "the idea of the vampire as a tragic hero." Pratchett is by all appearances a very liberal man, and vampires are pretty much the epitome of aristocracy. I'm sure the whole Anne Rice concept, of vampires who "agonise about having to look cool and live forever," sticks in his craw.

(both quotes are from my own fallible memory, I should point out, and may be wrong)

The vampires in Carpe Jugulum looks to me like they're intentionally created to be at once as "harmless" as possible and as purely superhuman as possible. That's what I think Pratchett hates, the idea that vampires are more important, even more virtious than dull old humanity - the idea that being a vampire is better than being a human.

And by all means, I agree. Romanticised vampire stories often seems very close to suggesting that human deserve to be preyed on, for being such short-lived, short-sighted, plebeian creatures. I just felt that the let's-beat-the-snot-out-of-the-vampires portion of CJ was excessively long and boring.

But yes, there are sympathetic vampires in the series, too. They mostly showed up after CJ, though. I think maybe Pratchett needed to get the vampire-bashing out of his system first... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I'll revive this thread too but this time less frivously.

On another forum I won a Terry Prachett book. I read something of his a LONG time ago and I remember not liking it much. It was probably one of his first books, 'cause we're talking like 1991 or so.

My question to all you TP fans is: what is the best novel that you don't need to know a lot about the characters to read? And isn't excessively silly. It looks like The Truth and Night Watch get a lot of love here. Would one of those be worth checking out.

Okay I'll revive this thread too but this time less frivously.

On another forum I won a Terry Prachett book. I read something of his a LONG time ago and I remember not liking it much. It was probably one of his first books, 'cause we're talking like 1991 or so.

My question to all you TP fans is: what is the best novel that you don't need to know a lot about the characters to read? And isn't excessively silly. It looks like The Truth and Night Watch get a lot of love here. Would one of those be worth checking out.

Both of those tend to require a touch of bak story for them to be properly enjoyed, although thy aren't bad starter novels.

Better choices by far would be, Maurice and his Educated Rodents, Wee Free Men, or Small Gods. The first two are written for an adolescent audience, but damn good despite that, while te last I consider to be social satire the equal of anything Mark Twain ever wrote.

The Truth might be OK, but for Night Watch you need to know a fair bit of back story. My recommendation would be Small Gods (a stand-alone one) or one of the first couple of City Watch books (Guards! Guards! and Men at Arms).

Lothor, waht did you do to your avatar?!?

Although maybe it's for the best, I think I lost a couple of hours just staring at your last avatar.

Haha....I don't think you were the only one.

I wanted to keep it. But the almighty Ran deemed it wasn't entirely appropriate, and like that, it was gone.

Just finished reading The Mark of Ran by Paul Kearney (wherein Ran is a sea god). Now whenever I think of our webmaster, I just see images of the furious sea smashing defiant posters/ships to kindling. Chilling.

Small Gods is Pratchett's best book by about half a light-year and may be one of the best fantasy novels ever. It's restrained humour works in its favour, especially when you get the triumphant release at the end of what is probably the most funniest death sequence in literary history.

Oh yeah, and Pratchett was a seasoned author by 1991. He published his first novel (The Carpet People) in 1974 and his first Discworld book (The Colour of Magic) in 1983.

• 2 weeks later...

I must be the only person in the world who discovered Terry Pratchett through the picture book "Where's my Cow?" I got it from my mum, who didn't even know TP was a famous Fantasy writer. I LOVED it. I started reading Pratchett years ago, but didn't get into it - I read a book in German, which was a bad idea.

Can anyone recommend a starting point for me? I'd love to read more about Sam Vimes; do I have to start with the first book or can I start at any other point?

Hey G7, long time no see. Good to see you back. :)

As far as Vimes goes, the best place to start is definitely at the beginning, with 'Guards! Guards!' Vimes has more development than many Pterry characters, it's best to follow it along...

I think to remember that I found "The truth" quite boring, but that "Thief of time" is one of my all-time favorites.......

THANKS! *relieved sigh* I thought I was the only one liking this book...Apart from this one I mainly like the one starring DEATH, the witches and the whole bunch of wizards....and the early Guard novels.

• 1 month later...

In memory of the Glorious People's Republic of Treacle Mine Road:

Truth! Justice! Freedom! Reasonably Priced Love! and a Hard Boiled Egg!

(tried to post an image but failed. oh well)

I just sort of dislike that there seems to be no more room for the Patrician to promote Vimes.... How he kept getting promoted against his will was the funniest part of the books!

there seems to be no more room for the Patrician to promote Vimes....

Are you sure? It occurs to me that Vetinari isn't getting any younger, and you know he'll have made arrangements to make sure the city continues to function smoothly in the event of his death... ;)

Yeah, I expect that to happen too, but that would mean, more or less, the end of the Watch books.... :P

EDIT: Not that Vimes is that much younger than the Patrician is.

Archived