An alternate Dany

Lockjaw of House Boltagon

So I constantly see Emilia Clarke listed as one of the weakest links in the show's cast, and I think I have to agree. Whether her inconsistent performance is the result of bad writing and/or directing or her own shortcomings as an actress, the fact of the matter is that I've never felt she's an entirely good fit for what is probably the most iconic and popular character in the show.

So my question is: is there another actress you think could've done a better job than Emilia and embodied the character more fully and at the same time being accessible enough (read: no A-listers) to be on the show in the first place?

Maybe it was Miguel Sapochnik great Direction but I actually really liked Emilia Clarke performance in episode 9 and 10

The scene with her making Tyrion Hand of the King is one of my personal favorites moments of the season.

At this point Emilia Clarke is so connected to the character that I cant imagine anyone else in that role

Honesty my issue with Dany really isn't acting or writing 

My problem with Dany is the character herself

even when I was reading the books I found myself skipping her chapters 

All Dany does is sit around A fantasize about how awesome this guy is lol

http://orig05.deviantart.net/ac12/f/2013/141/0/0/daario_naharis_portrait_by_kittanee-d663gs9.png

After reading A Dance with Dragons I never want to see the  thoughts of a teenage girl ever again...

1 hour ago, The Dragon King said:

I thought Imogen Poots would have been a much better choice, she's a very good actress and I think she looks more like Dany should (IMO).

http://www.theplace2.ru/archive/imogen_poots/img/austenregrets025.jpg

Did you read my mind through the internet like some kind of Bran? She's the first actress who came to mind, she's got a lot of charisma and personality and interesting looks, which contributes to the whole aspect of the Targaryen's otherworldly, unique beauty.

On 7/1/2016 at 10:17 AM, Lyin' Ned said:

Did you read my mind through the internet like some kind of Bran? She's the first actress who came to mind, she's got a lot of charisma and personality and interesting looks, which contributes to the whole aspect of the Targaryen's otherworldly, unique beauty.

I'm very glad you like it, while I don't have Bran powers I think I've got an eye for casting Thrones characters.  I don't know if she can act but I thought Kato the Steampunk model would have been good as Dany (in terms of looks), she'd also be great as Shiera Seastar. 

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=108948590

BTW, I LOVE your screen name :)

2 hours ago, The Dragon King said:

I'm very glad you like it, while I don't have Bran powers I think I've got an eye for casting Thrones characters.  I don't know if she can act but I thought Kato the Steampunk model would have been good as Dany (in terms of looks), she'd also be great as Shiera Seastar. 

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=108948590

BTW, I LOVE your screen name :)

Cheers! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I think Emilia Clarke is excellent, but I'm very disappointed in the showmakers' conception of Daenerys.  There's not even an attempt to find a way to achieve the richness of character that is attained through all her internal dialogue in the books.  Book Dany is very conflicted about many of her actions, questions herself incessantly, and is insecure about how the people around her perceive her in the way that characterizes teen-agers everywhere, yet always without fail manages to do the right thing in any leadership situation.  I think she's a fascinating character.

Show Dany is pretty much a bad-ass queen.  And that's about it.  And no, I don't blame it on Emilia Clarke at all, that is just how the character is written in the show.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I don't have a problem with Emilia Clarke's portrayal of Dany. I think that she does an excellent job. 

I do admit that I may be a little biased due to the fact that I find Emilia Clark to be one of the most stunningly beautiful women I've ever seen.

What I love about Emilia is how she can convey so much emotion through her eyes. During the scene at the fighting pits of Mereen when Jorah is fighting to the death, Dany never says anything, but you can see the pain in her eyes when the Bravoosi water dancer is about to skewer her bear knight. She is conflicted and wants to stop it, but she can't show weakness or she would lose her standing as Queen. You can see all of this conflict play it in her eyes. This is my favorite Dany scene in AGOT.

Spoiler

• 3 months later...
On 7/15/2016 at 3:45 PM, Hodor's Dragon said:

I think Emilia Clarke is excellent, but I'm very disappointed in the showmakers' conception of Daenerys.  There's not even an attempt to find a way to achieve the richness of character that is attained through all her internal dialogue in the books.  Book Dany is very conflicted about many of her actions, questions herself incessantly, and is insecure about how the people around her perceive her in the way that characterizes teen-agers everywhere, yet always without fail manages to do the right thing in any leadership situation.  I think she's a fascinating character.

Show Dany is pretty much a bad-ass queen.  And that's about it.  And no, I don't blame it on Emilia Clarke at all, that is just how the character is written in the show.

Well, she's not that conflicted in the book. Just look at her thoughts about Ned Stark, a man who tried to stop the attempt on her life and protested the murders of her niece and nephew Rhaenys and Aegon.

2 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Well, she's not that conflicted in the book. Just look at her thoughts about Ned Stark, a man who tried to stop the attempt on her life and protested the murders of her niece and nephew Rhaenys and Aegon.

None of which she knows about, and very little that she ever says about him to boot, so what's your point?

On 9/21/2017 at 1:25 AM, Hodor's Dragon said:

None of which she knows about, and very little that she ever says about him to boot, so what's your point?

The bloody point is that Daenerys isn't as conflicted as it seems. On her opinion of Ned Stark, she is set in stone (for now).

On 7/1/2016 at 5:17 PM, Lockjaw of House Boltagon said:

I think she's a pretty good actress [Filth was great] but she's far more conventional beauty than Emilia, IMO.

Archived