The King of Thailand Dies

Maester Drew

His name was Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Bhumibol means "strength of the land" and by all accounts, he lived up to that name. For a country that has faced so much instability and strife, it was the King that remained a constant source of strength for his people.

Those very people, adored and loved him, and with his passing they mourn.

Right now, the future of the monarchy, hell for Thailand itself, is uncertain. Bhumibol's son and successor isn't popular, to put it mildly. Any stability within the country over the past seventy years is largely thanks to Bhumibol, and without him... things could unravel.

Rest in Peace, Bhumibol Adulyadej.

10 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

I suppose this makes Liz the longest running Head of State in the world now.

Yes.

6 minutes ago, sologdin said:

was this monarch a collaborator with the US occupant during the cold war and thereby complicit in the deaths of many millions in the indochina wars?

Thailand was an ally of the US in the Vietnam War, but I'm not sure how much influence he had in his country's involvement. Wikipedia is pretty vague, and the BBC profile doesn't give me much to know one way or another.

1 minute ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Does this mean Thailand stops throwing people in jail for mocking the king?  Or is he unmockable for all eternity?

That law would most likely be retained, for as long as the monarchy survives. And I highly doubt the monarchy will survive with the new king.

11 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

I suppose this makes Liz the longest running Head of State in the world now.

Yes, the longest running one still reigning. She would need to reign 6 more years to reach Bhumibol (possible, I suppose) or 18 more years to become the longest-reigning of all time.

8 minutes ago, sologdin said:

was this monarch a collaborator with the US occupant during the cold war and thereby complicit in the deaths of many millions in the indochina wars?

It's actually pretty hard to say. According to Wikipedia, he was more or less a figurehead from 1946 to 1957. After that, it is not obvious how much influence he has at any given time.

I did learn an interesting fact though: apparently, he was born in Cambridge, MA (his father was studying at Harvard at the time).

Archived