Is jousting skill related to martial prowess?

On 5/5/2017 at 4:36 PM, Alexander Targaryen said:

I am currently working on a list ranking the warriors of Westeros and Essos by fighting skill, or at least organize them into separate tiers, for role-playing purposes. Though in many cases, a character's only notable victories come from jousts, not melees or actual combat. So how closely are jousting skill and overall fighting skill related, if at all? Is defeating someone in a joust any indication whatsoever that you'll also defeat them on the battlefield?

For example, Rhaegar Targaryen defeated Oberyn Martell in a joust, but does that mean he should be ranked above Oberyn as an overall warrior?

Riding skills is one of the hardest and most important skills required of a knight.  It is preferable to ride in battle.  It will be hard to win your spurs if your riding skills are not up to par. 

The Vale prediction is explained in this:

That's actually part 3, but you find links to part 1 and 2 on how the Tourney of the Hand and Joffrey's Name Day can be seen as foreshadowing events (such as Ned's death) or mirroring events of the past.

@Walda - Here is the link for @sweetsunray's thread. She refers to her blog as the original place of publication - there may be more tourney background there.

Edit: Oops! I see I didn't check the posts on p. 2 before I posted this comment. The author beat me to it. I'm re-reading sweetsunray's good post now. I just re-read Jon VII, ACoK for the direwolf re-read, and I think Sansa's descent from the Eyrie to the Gates of the Moon relate to Jon's warg's-eye view of the wildlings preparing for war in the vale where the Milkwater originates.

10 hours ago, Byfort of Corfe said:

BTW jousting could still be incredibly dangerous.  Henry VIIIth was knocked unconscious for around half an hour and in 1559 Henry IInd of France was badly wounded in a joust dying in agony some days later.  The historic repercussions of that were that the Knight who wounded the French King had the last name of Montgomerie, he fled France and went to England, one of  his descendants was Field Marshal Montgomery.

Wasn't Monty a descendant of a Scottish clan, dating back to 12th century?

4 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Wasn't Monty a descendant of a Scottish clan, dating back to 12th century?

True but at the time there was considerable intermixing of Scottish and French lines at the time due to alliances that went back a few generations.  Monty's direct ancestor spelled his name in a Frankified manner and was in the court of the French King.  I'm not sure if it comes up in Monty's biography, I read it in a French History.  Had Patton known he (being a dyed in the wool Francophile) might have cut Monty some slack.

Archived