Did anyone notice this?

Tyrion weasley

People really need to rewatch that scene, preferably in HD.  I just did and it is clearly the opal stones in the eyes reflecting the snow, initially giving the impression they are closed (and white). When Jon bursts from the water a drop lands on the eye and disrupts the reflection and the opals are black again. 

Thats all it is, a drop of water.  This is just another case of Arya being stabbed in the gut causing a rash of theory crafting the likes of which not even R'yllor has seen.

oh, cool. My autocorrect has stopped trying to change R'yllor every time I type it. 

12 hours ago, DirewolfDave said:

like Saba?

I don't know anything about Power Rangers, but they didn't exactly invent talking magic swords. They're such a common mythical/fantasy trope that Terry Pratchett parodied them in his first Discworld book in 1983, D&D had rules for them from the first edition in 1974, and Tolkien asked CS Lewis whether the idea was too much of a cliche to use in 1919.

On 21/8/2017 at 1:31 PM, Mikkel said:

For the time being I'm partial to "Easter Egg from the VFX department", or accident / trick of the light

I'm partial to "easter egg to Jon warging Ghost when dead", something they didn't actually do in the show, but could meta-reference.

12 hours ago, Lurid Jester said:

People really need to rewatch that scene, preferably in HD.  I just did and it is clearly the opal stones in the eyes reflecting the snow, initially giving the impression they are closed (and white). When Jon bursts from the water a drop lands on the eye and disrupts the reflection and the opals are black again.

No matter how many times I watch the scene, I can't blame water. It doesn't look like there's a drop on the eye, and the effect doesn't look like what you'd get from water. It doesn't look like a wolf eye opening either.

12 hours ago, Lurid Jester said:

oh, cool. My autocorrect has stopped trying to change R'yllor every time I type it. 

Maybe you'd better get that autocorrect started again...

8 hours ago, falcotron said:

I don't know anything about Power Rangers, but they didn't exactly invent talking magic swords. They're such a common mythical/fantasy trope that Terry Pratchett parodied them in his first Discworld book in 1983, D&D had rules for them from the first edition in 1974, and Tolkien asked CS Lewis whether the idea was too much of a cliche to use in 1919.

Eh it was just a joke, sorry. I know there have been other talking swords (though I didn't know it was THAT much of a trope, or that Tolkien was worrying about it being too cliche/debating using one apparently).

I just liked the reference because the original white power ranger's sword, Saba, had a white tiger head on the pommel that literally talked (moving mouth and everything lmao).

I thought the white wolf head on the pommel of Longclaw and the (Power) Ranger/ (Night's Watch) Ranger was a funny parallel.

Archived