Jump to content
JMMapelwood

What is the role of Gendry?

Recommended Posts

Just now, Booknerd2 said:

I think Jon is sold already. And his approval will mean a lot to Arya, plus their past history, and in most film and literature, the abrupt parting of two people under stressful circumstances with time passing usually works out well.

In a series where every many old tropes are turned on their head, Jon and Gendry works. It's not buddy cop movie. Jon is not Ned's son, so it's not corny like... the two sons of the two father's... and everyone in the end goes off to their pretty castles. The audience knows more than the character's do. Some of the dialogue would have been corny under other circumstances, but the actors pulled off most, and the nature of the series anchored it. 

To me, because it is most likely going somewhere in future, the hanging in the air between the four works for tv. Anticlimactic if Sandor and Gendry lined up in front of Jon and went off on the tv show about I know your sister, where is she, blah, blah, blah. Maybe it could have been done, I'm not a screenwriter, but at this point due to time and other issues. Leave me with the books, maybe it's just better they didn't. We may get something in the final season, or I will ask myself why the hints and other small tidbits that happened this season, if it's for nothing. It will be better when they all meet up again, and I am sure a bit of comedy ensues too. It does drive readers nuts, and non-book viewers that either heard some book themes, theories, or did their homework. The not bringing them up may build it up more and help.

I saw people shocked that Gendry didn't bring up Arya to Jon. Other stuff he said to Jon with another actor could have been too much or over the top but Dempsie balanced it somehow. Mentioning Arya, I can't even begin to imagine in such short rushed choppy between characters scenes how the heck that could have happened decently. How do you mention her quick, a big issue, and then stop awkwardly, because there are like other storylines being crammed in and bursting at the seams. I just don't know. 

I give the actor credit, because that could have came off pushy, arrogant, annoying, his scenes with Jon. Maybe even near Viserys Entitlement territory, and it didn't. A bad actor could have ruined the whole thing, but definitely the right person was cast.

Ok, so maybe Big Nyms has a Queen's Guard too? Sounds good to me.

 

yeah....i was a bit disappointed at first that Arya was not mentioned but not in their first scene (there it would have been inorganic) but in the Wight hunt. Ok mainly because instead of the action I would have preferred everyone to be telling each other their adventures (as I dint like the purpose of the Wight hint itself lol). In fact in the leaked preliminary script I think that it was Sandor and Gendry (I could be wrong) that it said "they could talk about Arya" but finally this didn't happen.

now I am not disgusted for the idea they disnt mention her but Id like to think everyone had her in their minds (literally 5 Wight hunters had met her!).....but it would have been great as well in that episode. The ginger.mention was nice as well. A subtle message.

oh and I agree that Joe Dempsie nailed it in his scenes. I think this show has amazing actors. I can only complain about Kit and Emilia when they are together (but with other actors they are also great). I have also liked Sophie Turner more this season.

Edited by Meera of Tarth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

 

yeah....i was a bit disappointed at first that Arya was not mentioned but not in their first scene (there it would have been inorganic) but in the Wight hunt. Ok mainly because instead of the action I would have preferred everyone to be telling each other their adventures (as I dint like the purpose of the Wight hint itself lol). In fact in the leaked preliminary script I think that it was Sandor and Gendry (I could be wrong) that it said "they could talk about Arya" but finally this didn't happen.

now I am not disgusted for the idea they disnt mention her but Id like to think everyone had her in their minds (literally 5 Wight hunters had met her!).....but it would have been great as well in that episode. The ginger.mention was nice as well. A subtle message.

oh and I agree that Joe Dempsie nailed it in his scenes. I think this show has amazing actors. I can only complain about Kit and Emilia when they are together (but with other actors they are also great). I have also liked Sophie Turner more this season.

Definitely. The wight hunt would have been the perfect time to throw a little nugget in. Either Sandor and Gendry, or Gendry and Jon.

When Gendry went on his let-me-introduce-myself dialogue to Jon, somehow the along the lines of "I travelled with or know Arya or whatever" (worded better than that) another tiny nugget could have been dropped there too maybe. Or maybe it's better that they like each other and things are going swimmingly between them and the Arya mention between Jon and Gendry comes up later as the icing on their, the in the face confirmation we are given of their apparent buddy-dom. 

I have to say too when I'm watching them walk on the wight hunt and it becomes apparent that it's share info time, and a lot of stuff came out, and people are spilling left and right with catch up time, I thought that considering Gendry decided to offer himself and Jon join on his quest, somehow even if someone else briefed Jon, it would have been known to Jon already that this guy was with Arya for a time travelling and it was a positive experience.  Sandor maybe, but Thoros and/or Beric would know better. Just something, some little tidbit. At first, I though that might happen and it would be Gendry's "in" in being able to join Jon. Not the case in show anyway. It was: Hi, I'm Gendry, I'm Robert's son, let's be friends, I want to join now, left my life and job, I'm ready, let's roll. (Again, anyone else would have dropped the ball on this, It's too much cramming in one conversation, but Dempsie saved it.) And even without an Arya Entrée into Jon's group.  I really think the book will be different. I'm not even sure he meets Jon first, let alone other issues. He has his Stark book entrée with Lady Stoneheart, the family member to Arya in this case being her mother. So I mean who runs into who next because he is already with her mother and some BWB. Sandor's on QI, Stranger wants out, etc.

Edited by Booknerd2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ko

Just now, Booknerd2 said:

Definitely. The wight hunt would have been the perfect time to throw a little nugget in. Either Sandor and Gendry, or Gendry and Jon.

When Gendry went on his let-me-introduce-myself dialogue to Jon, somehow the along the lines of "I travelled with or know Arya or whatever" (worded better than that) another tiny nugget could have been dropped there too maybe. Or maybe it's better that they like each other and things are going swimmingly between them and the Arya mention between Jon and Gendry comes up later as the icing on their, the in the face confirmation we are given of their apparent buddy-dom. 

I have to say too when I'm watching them walk on the wight hunt and it becomes apparent that it's share info time, and a lot of stuff came out, and people are spilling left and right with catch up time, I thought that considering Gendry decided to offer himself and Jon join on his quest, somehow even if someone else briefed Jon, it would have been known to Jon already that this guy was with Arya for a time travelling and it was a positive experience.  Sandor maybe, but Thoros and/or Beric would know better. Just something, some little tidbit. At first, I though that might happen and it would be Gendry's "in" in being able to join Jon. Not the case in show anyway. It was: Hi, I'm Gendry, I'm Robert's son, let's be friends, I want to join now, left my life and job, I'm ready, let's roll. (Again, anyone else would have dropped the ball on this, It's too much cramming in one conversation, but Dempsie saved it.) And even without an Arya Entrée into Jon's group.  I really think the book will be different. I'm not even sure he meets Jon first, let alone other issues. He has his Stark book entrée with Lady Stoneheart, the family member to Arya in this case being her mother. So I mean who runs into who next because he is already with her mother and some BWB. Sandor's on QI, Stranger wants out, etc.

yes, maybe they already told Jon off screen? But we can't know actually. I think the Wight hunt would have been perfect time. Even a non direct reference maybe like the ginger thing would have been ok for me. But overall I can't complain since I want to think there's a deeper meaning in their interactions.

as for the books....who will meet who and when? I'm clueless. I'm not good at predicting things but the Riverlands' atmosphere is like a boiling pot! We have to suppose that Brienne will bring Jaime to LSH and Gendry is supposed to be there with the BwB? I think that will be the first thing to be resolved both Jaime and Bri will survive and I'd like to think that LSH as well.....and then Arya will meet the BwB again with Gendry? I don't know! Do you think that Gendry will go with Bri and Jaime? They will part ways...all of them? I definitely think tht Arya will meet LsH but I'm not sure either.

Edited by Meera of Tarth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

as for the books....who will meet who and when? I'm clueless. I'm not good at predicting things but the Riverlands' atmosphere is like a boiling pot!

Orphan Inn! aka the Inn at the crossroads. Gendry: "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine." Arya walks in and stares down Heddle, who runs away!

Edited by Le Cygne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Orphan Inn! aka the Inn at the crossroads. "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine." Arya walks in and stares down Heddle, who runs away!

I'd love to see that.....what would be her surprise if she met him there.....waiting for her! She'd think he is stupid for doing that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I'd love to see that.....what would be her surprise if she met him there.....waiting for her! She'd think he is stupid for doing that!

Sandor kills Lem and takes his cloak... Sansa and Sandor meet again in the Riverlands... And then Sansa and Arya meet there, too... Where Arya has walked into Gendry's gin joint... And then they meet LSH. LSH needs to be in on the Littlefinger kill. Which will be much better than on the show.

Edited by Le Cygne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Sandor kills Lem and takes his cloak... Sansa and Sandor meet again in the Riverlands... And then Sansa and Arya meet there, too... Where Arya has walked into Gendry's gin joint... And then they meet LSH. LSH needs to be in on the Littlefinger kill. Which will be much better than on the show.

Oh that one be a good pay-off.

As for the Riverlands, yeah, could be.

I can't wait to read it.....but I'm more concerned about their reactions?! I don't know how George will write them...their encounters....I've many possibilities in my mind.

Edited by Meera of Tarth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Oh that one be a good pay-off.

As for the Riverlands, yeah, could be.

I can't wait to read it.....but I'm more concerned about their reactions?! I don't know how George will write them...their encounters....I've many possibilities in my mind.

It's fun to think of plot developments, but the author will be the one to tell us what's next, with (hopefully) a good tale. What matters to the characters, who matters to them, that's what's important, things will be true to who they are.

Edited by Le Cygne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Oh hey Bookie, good to see you talking Arya and Gendry! Also I note that Hot Pie said Arya is pretty! Time for the Stark sisters to explore the fun side of men and relationships with their bull and hound. I note their men had interplay with both their brother and each other. Loved the interplay between Sandor and Gendry (even though what happened with Mel was terrible), Sandor (who has a ginger on his mind) is like, naked with a woman, sounds good! And Gendry is like... still a little stupid stupid stupid... but yeah, let me think about that some more! :lol:

I just rewatched this part and couldn't stop laughing. The men have been without women far too long:drool: it seems

I like the idea of Gendry being Arya's disaster relief force, probably he will have the same on effect on Jon, who is known for his yolo decision making, too.

Edited by Ashes Of Westeros

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no point bringing him back if he wont become a Lord atleast and rule the long forgotten Stormlands region. I would hope that this woulf occur next season to rally what remains of the Stormlords to Daenerys force. It annoys me how at this moment were just supposed to consent to this kingdom being firmly in Cerseis grasp.

I dont think it would take much to turn them. A legitimised Gendry could help accomplish a lot.

Though lets be honest, a legitimised Gendry should put in peril Jon and Danys claims as it gives the late Stannis (on the show only) a very close trueborn relative and heir.

People might say but sure he doesnt want the iron throne..neither does jon, and if the show forces the feeling that he does want it, they will abandon his character for good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2017 at 11:57 AM, Meera of Tarth said:

Interesting parallel! Gendry's experience with Gingers is not good as well, while Sandor's is (he clearly has her on her mind then) while Gendry is just terified about witches, let's him have his ideal match finally!

There is another ginger in Sandor's arc: Mycah. Sandor refered him as "ginger" when he was begging Arya to kill him. Remarkable, he mentioned another ginger - Sansa - in this speech too and apparently in reference to BwBB night. Both episodes weren't his brightest moments. So Sandor's relationship to ginger isn't trouble-free. 
But what we know (and he know too, probably) that Arya has forgiven him for Mycah, b/c she refused to kill him. And Sansa isn't angry at him for his behavior after BwBB (at least in the books, the show just didn't address it).

Edited by Ashes Of Westeros

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GRRM already confirmed that Arya and Gendry won't wind up together: they have "separate futures." Extensive discussion here. Not that there's much evidence in the books to suggest otherwise. AFFC hints he'll end up with Willow Heddle, and she's probably a better match for him anyway: Arya (brown-haired, skinny, feisty) without the high birth Gendry resents so much.

I doubt D&D brought Gendry back for any other reason than "LOL warhammers." They seem to have brought back Sandor for dick jokes and Cleganebowl.

Edited by Newstar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Booknerd2 said:

You gave me a lot to think about with the hammer passed to Tormund and the chucking by Sandor. I have to ask myself why is it being shown? What does it mean for show? For the book?

In both, he is so heavily associated with a bull, while it comes up with Ned and Brienne the comparisons to Robert and Renly which means: Robert & Renly = Baratheon = Stag. We have someone like the Hound who is so associated with one animal, Starks also with wolves, so my thing now is do bull and stag coexist, or will by destiny, he starts leaning towards one more over the other? Out of his control? The stag symbolism, hammer, maybe even a new helm eventually will replace the Bull of his youth? And I'm not even satisfied with how I worded this. Too many questions in my head presently.

He is heavily associated with the bull in the first two books, as long as he has the helmet. The nickname is used only twice in aSoS, and then always as a type of lie, to hide who he is - when meeting the BwB. Arya tells them she's Squab, he says he's the Bull not wanting to give his name, and Hot Pie can't lie and gives his Hot Pie nickname. And Hot Pie is Hot Pie. It comes up again when they arrive at the Peach, but there too it's a type of fib.

Imo the Bull is an identity symbol that Gendry initially takes on and clings to. The other apprentices call him stubborn as a bull, so he makes that idea his own, the way Tyrion advizes Jon to embrace the reference of "bastard". He clings to that helmet, and after the death of Yoren and other adults (or adults abandoning them) he attempts to be the leader, often wearing the helmet. But they're captured and his helmet is taken. His attitude changes after that. I recommend reading Tyrion's thoughts about what slavery does to people, and then go back to Gendry's refusal to help free the Northmen and again when he's reluctant to escape. Its after she takes charge and they're back on the road running from the pursuers of HH that he gets his more warrior-like spirit back, but without retrieving the helmet. So, that bull helmet was always a symbol of chosen identity imo, but that he loses and reasesses afterwards, though he has somehow internalized its main aspects without needing the helmet for it. Simultaneously, he shapeshifts into more of a predator-forest animal in aSoS. He's "dangerous". BwB wonder aloud whether there's a lion, a wolf or a bear hiding behind the wall (in the show it's lion, wolf or cub). He sniffs Arya at Acorn Hall. He's brimming with rage in his cameo. He starts out as a bull, but he becomes something else. I do not expect to see that bull helmet ever again in the books.

I read the leaked preliminary scripts, and in that script, D&D intended to feature a bull helmet again in his shop when Davos finds him, a more durable one. Except in the actual scene there isn't a bull helmet to be seen. You've got armor pieces on the wall, swords, etc, but no helmet at all. So, for some reason, and I think on purpose, they dropped the re-featuring of the helmet. Now we do have a prop parallel of him having made the helmet but it ends up being "broken" in the show and Gendry making himself a warhammer with Baratheon stag sigil, but letting it go and it then being dropped by Arya's stand-in father. I checked for it when Sandor climbs Drogon, but he does not carry the warhammer back out of there.

I think both in the show and in the books, Gendry's supposed to be sigil free, just internalize and pick from his various shapeshifted identities what is necessary for his survival, but also become part of the wolf pack. It goes back to the featherbed song that George wrote for them: he proclaims himself a lord and offers a crown, while the maiden of the tree says "nah, I don't want a castle or a crown, let's run off into the woods." Which is exactly what we saw Nymeria do: "nah, no castle for me. I'm off with my pack into the woods."

With or without the hammer, I can see Gendry refer to himself as Robert Baratheon's son and believe he should try to be legitimized in order to be an acceptable suitor for Arya, except this is the family who accepted Jon as king, the head of their family and one of their own believing him to be a bastard of a lowborn woman. Sansa and Arya and Bran didn't need Jon to be Rhaegar's son with Lyanna to accept him, nor did the Northerners care about that when they elected him as KitN. Hence, Gendry doesn't need legitimization or a castle or a lordship to be considered part of the wolf pack. And Arya is not just the one who requires a suitor to have a castle the least. She might actually balk at it. 

I re-watched the scene of Robert's arrival of S1. There's Bran climbing down the wall after seeing the collonne in the distance about to arrive. Then we see Arya with her guard helmet on, outside the castle, and she climbs on a cart, standing above everyone else, both the crowd and the knights riding past on their horses. It's so startling Queen Nymeria, the warrior queen, but also wolf Nymeria in S7 who towers over everybody. In fact, when Arya lays Needle down during the Nymeria meeting, she's taken in a frame as if kneeling to Nymeria. Back to the Robert arrival scene: She comes running into the yard to file in line, orders Bran to "move" like a boss (sheesh she's bossy in S1E1). Then Robert touches Ned, Cat and Robb. He only inquires after the name of Arya, between Sansa, Arya and Bran. So, I'm wondering whether Arya will indeed end up as a queen in a way, but I also see various hints of her leaving Westeros. Her wolf moves away with her pack, and out of nowhere Arya talked to Lady Crane about being curious what lies west of Westeros. Combined these would make for a Queen Nymeria, and if Gendry is to go along in that possible venture of hers, then it seems fitting that he'd leave the Baratheon symbolism.

I don't know whether that's a book endgame, but I can definitely see hints of it in the show.

16 hours ago, Booknerd2 said:

Edric is immersing himself and mentally molding himself from what he hears and what he thinks is Robert and the "Stagness." Mostly the past glories, and not the full picture. He has had contact with him too though and Gendry has not, limited and small thought it was. Gendry has always had the advantage in my opinion. True, Edric has not had to struggle for basic necessities, nor work, nor worry about danger, but Gendry was able to "forge" his own identity, be his own person, be out there and experience good and bad and see the world, so when all this swoops down on him, he will be ready. Edric hears about it in books and stories of his father, Gendry is actually living it and doing it. Mya has the advantage too of not being so sheltered for what is to come, and just as a future adult in general. Edric wants to be Robert, Gendry wants to be himself and have a purpose, and it seems family or loved ones or something. A place in the world he can be proud of and be productive. I think the show demonstrated a healthy pride and respect and interest in his heritage. I think the book will too. The hero worship by Edric, I think Gendry isn't going to go that route. Good. It's better that way. The show shows him after the shock of finding out surely wears off and how he takes a good attitude towards it. Just a clearing the head and path and a motivation to help and do good.

Totally agree with that.

16 hours ago, Booknerd2 said:

In Edric, I saw a small tinge of the Viserys entitlement, he's young, sheltered, and he's not the same personality, but he's not Gendry.

Yes, ^this

16 hours ago, Booknerd2 said:

I swear it felt like Gendry was nailing the first perfect job interview. lol. Somebody was trying for a really good first impression there. But it was his natural, amiable, easy-going personality too, which is why the Cameo sticks out so strongly, that is not his usual demeanor there.

Yeah, Gendry's come-back in the show is amiable, open. He's brimming with anger, resentment and totally closed up in his book cameo. But he's also immersing himself with Arya ghosts in there: Willow is an Arya stand-in, the bloodstains on the floor which are likely those of the Tickler, him working for Arya's ghostly mother, as you mentioned before. I also checked the Crossroads inn chapter when Arya and Sandor fight Polliver and the Tickler. Before she mercy kills the squire who she pricked in the bowels, he says he was there for the girls, to become a man.... Hmmmm.

I agree with your point about book-Gendry not needing an introduction into the wolf family. The BwB isn't without banners anymore after LS takes over. They became a wolf army, predators, using stealth. But the mood is definitely territorial and snarling. That's the word for Gendry in his cameo - he's snarling and growling, like an angry wolf, with sharp teeth.

I think the enormous difference between show-Gendry's arc and that of book-Gendry's is how they were separated. In the books Gendry is the likeliest witness of the Hound snatching Arya away, and the BwB's pursuit towards the Twins where for a while the BwB fear Arya may have been an anonymous victim, learning that Arya and the Hound showed up at the Crossroads and set off for Saltpans, where the outlawed Bloody Mummers held a massacre and all trace of Arya disappears. Book Gendry fears Arya might be dead for real, raped and mutilated and burned.

Show-Gendry was taken away from Arya instead, before the Hound catches her. Last he knew, Arya was going to be sold to RR, a castle that the Blackfish held for a while and that was peacefully surrendered to Jaime Lannister. He would know about the RW, but he has no reason to believe Sandor traveled with her for several months or that she was at the Twins and witness to the RW. He's more likely to believe she managed to escape and is making her way North to WF, especially after Jon managed to oust the Boltons. So, he's more likely to feel resentment against the Lannister but hopeful about Arya's fate and likely whereabouts, would want to get on the good side of the bastard-King in the North, her "brother", not just let Jon know he's on their side but that he has royal blood in his veins, and help protect the North from its greatest immediate threat: the army of the dead

16 hours ago, Booknerd2 said:

Side note: What is up with that black wolf with Nymeria mentioned? Is that like Nymeria's Hand of the Direwolf? lol. Didn't pick up on that. 

I rewatched the scene and the whole pack in the shot where Arya faces gigantic Nymeria. I counted the wolves in that shot and there are 6. There's giant Nymeria, three grey ones, a black one and at the bottom by himself a white wolf. So, I derive from this that we actually get to see the Stark-pack, where Nymeria replaced her previous direwolf siblings with the normal smaller wolf lookalikes. So, the black direwolf would be a stand-in for Shaggy and Rickon, who are both ghosts now as both are dead. Robb and Greywind are also both dead. Sansa is alive but her wolf is dead. Same for Bran and Summer. And Jon's wolf is named Ghost.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Newstar said:

GRRM already confirmed that Arya and Gendry won't wind up together: they have "separate futures." Extensive discussion here. Not that there's much evidence in the books to suggest otherwise. AFFC hints he'll end up with Willow Heddle, and she's probably a better match for him anyway: Arya (brown-haired, skinny, feisty) without the high birth Gendry resents so much.

I doubt D&D brought Gendry back for any other reason than "LOL warhammers." They seem to have brought back Sandor for dick jokes and Cleganebowl.

And it's a hearsay confirmation: a friend of a fanfic writer. The fanfic writer wasn't present at the conversation. We don't know how the friend of the fanfic writer asked the question, what he or she told to George about who he/she was asking this for (he hates fanfic), and "separate futures" is very unGeorge-like as he tends to give ambiguous answers instead.

Last year's Balticon answers to members of this forum says that George will revisit them.

Willow Heddle is an Arya stand-in, while Arya herself cannot be present in the RL. She looks like Arya, except for her eye color. She's as bossy as Arya. Brienne wonders whether she's Arya. She's got a tree-name: Willow, which is a sad, romantic tree, and the tree that Arya emerged from in the chapter where they are captured by the BwB in aSoS. And Arya is the maide of the tree in the featherbed song.

So, when Brienne thinks the smith-boy might end up marrying the Arya look-alike, it's not a hint of Gendry marrying Willow Heddle, but Arya.

Also, Heddle is a Noble House of landed knights, and thus actually highborn, though at present they only own the Inn and its surrounding lands.

Edited by sweetsunray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

And it's a hearsay confirmation: a friend of a fanfic writer. The fanfic writer wasn't present at the conversation. We don't know how the friend of the fanfic writer asked the question, what he or she told to George about who he/she was asking this for (he hates fanfic), and

This was a Gendry/Arya fanfic writer with every reason to hope for a positive answer and every reason to twist GRRM's statement into something favourable for their ship. That alone lends it a great deal of credibility. Gendry/Arya isn't happening, sorry.

 

Quote

"separate futures" is very unGeorge-like as he tends to give ambiguous answers instead.

When asked recently whether Jorah would ever get out of the friendzone, GRRM said "I wouldn't bet on it." Contrary to what some think, GRRM gives plenty of straight answers, even on big questions; he even confirmed that Jon would find out his parentage! GRRM probably thinks so little of Arya/Gendry as a ship--not surprising, given the lack of evidence in the books--that he didn't mind taking pity on a fan and giving a straight answer, much like he casually shot down poor Jorah's prospects with Dany.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Newstar said:

This was a Gendry/Arya fanfic writer with every reason to hope for a positive answer and every reason to twist GRRM's statement into something favourable for their ship. That alone lends it a great deal of credibility. Gendry/Arya isn't happening, sorry.

I know what she hoped for, but she didn't ask the question directly, and she didn't hear George's answer directly. It's hearsay.

23 minutes ago, Newstar said:

GRRM probably thinks so little of Arya/Gendry as a ship--not surprising, given the lack of evidence in the books--that he didn't mind taking pity on a fan and giving a straight answer, much like he casually shot down poor Jorah's prospects with Dany.

And yet, he says with a fond smile that he will revisit them, albeit cautioning they're both still young, to a JonArya fan of this forum last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

I know what she hoped for, but she didn't ask the question directly, and she didn't hear George's answer directly. It's hearsay.

The fanfic author's friend had no reason to give their friend an unfavourable report unless it was accurate, and the fanfic author had every motivation to make up a fake positive report or twist their friend's words (which they did not). 

 

Quote

And yet, he says with a fond smile that he will revisit them, albeit cautioning they're both still young, to a JonArya fan of this forum last year.

That's not incompatible with what he told the fanfic writer's friend, which was that Gendry and Arya have separate futures, but as to whether they meet again, the reader would just have to keep reading.

GRRM has already spoken on Gendry/Arya, and, as with Dany/Jorah, the verdict was negative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Newstar said:

GRRM already confirmed that Arya and Gendry won't wind up together: they have "separate futures." Extensive discussion here. Not that there's much evidence in the books to suggest otherwise. AFFC hints he'll end up with Willow Heddle, and she's probably a better match for him anyway: Arya (brown-haired, skinny, feisty) without the high birth Gendry resents so much.

I doubt D&D brought Gendry back for any other reason than "LOL warhammers." They seem to have brought back Sandor for dick jokes and Cleganebowl.

@Newstar as I already mentioned to you in another thread there are more news about Gendry and Arya, he'll be visiting them again, and they are very young...

He has never said that they won't wind up together.

Edited by Meera of Tarth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Newstar said:

The fanfic author's friend had no reason to give their friend an unfavourable report unless it was accurate, and the fanfic author had every motivation to make up a fake positive report or twist their friend's words (which they did not). 

 

That's not incompatible with what he told the fanfic writer's friend, which was that Gendry and Arya have separate futures, but as to whether they meet again, the reader would just have to keep reading.

GRRM has already spoken on Gendry/Arya, and, as with Dany/Jorah, the verdict was negative. 

Repeating your arguments about hearsay won't make it any less hearsay. The fanfic author might not have a reason to lie, but George in fact has reasons to dash her hopes: he hates fanfiction. So, I take the "verdict" with a very thick grain of salt, especially as the books in no way indicate that Gendry's future is separate from Arya at all.

And that's the end of the discussion with you about this.

Edited by sweetsunray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

@Newstar as I already mentioned to you in another thread there are more news about Gendry and Arya, he'll be visiting the again, and they are very young...

He has never said that they won't wind up together.

Saying that they have "separate futures," but whether they ever meet up again is something the reader will have to keep reading to find out, is pretty unambiguous IMO.

 

10 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Repeating your arguments about hearsay won't make it any less hearsay. The fanfic author might not have a reason to lie, but George in fact has reasons to dash her hopes: he hates fanfiction

GRRM had no knowledge of why the friend was asking, so that's not much of an argument. I'm also frankly a little surprised that you would accuse GRRM of deliberately lying about a ship's prospects to hurt a fanfic writer's feelings; you must think very little of him as a person.

I don't know what more I can do for you than providing evidence that Gendry/Arya won't happen; if you choose not to accept it, it's on you. If you accept now that Gendry/Arya isn't happening, you'll save yourself a lot of grief. The Bran/Meera shippers got all excited over what they saw as "hints" in the show, to the point where they refused to believe credible spoilers from the fall of 2016 that Meera would leave Bran at Winterfell in Season 7 and claim that the real Bran died in the cave, and look at how that turned out. The meltdowns are never pretty. Save yourself a meltdown.

Edited by Newstar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×