Season 8 Predictions?

AEJON TARGARYEN

1 minute ago, jcmontea said:

Nope. 

NK defeats Dany and Jon. Cersei kills the NK and keeps the Iron Throne. She was Azor Ahai/ TPWWP the whole time. Long may she reign.

:D

You forgot the very last scene where Cersei sits smug on the throne and suddenly removes her face. It was Loki a faceless man all along. Jamie would turn in his freshly dug grave if he knew.

4 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

"Jon and Dany, have a seat, we'll throw you a coronation real quick. While we go and fetch these newly made crowns, consider who you want as hand and in your small council, so we can announce that right before the credits roll common people know of your ascension. Also don't forget to tell the audience us what you're gonna name your kid."

Um, that's how I expect it to go. 

"The greatest danger of all, however, comes from the north, from the icy wastes beyond the Wall, where half-forgotten demons out of legend, the inhuman others, raise cold legions of the undead and the neverborn and prepare to ride down on the winds of winter to extinguish everything that we would call "life." The final battle will also draw together characters and plot threads left from the first two books and resolve all in one huge climax."

Episode 6: The NK (30 minutes or more, the climax, not the entire battle) > Cersei and Jaime (20 minutes)  > Epilogue (40 minutes or less). 

53 minutes ago, TRILOGY said:

Um, that's how I expect it to go. 

"The greatest danger of all, however, comes from the north, from the icy wastes beyond the Wall, where half-forgotten demons out of legend, the inhuman others, raise cold legions of the undead and the neverborn and prepare to ride down on the winds of winter to extinguish everything that we would call "life." The final battle will also draw together characters and plot threads left from the first two books and resolve all in one huge climax."

Episode 6: The NK (30 minutes or more, the climax, not the entire battle) > Cersei and Jaime (20 minutes)  > Epilogue (40 minutes or less). 

The only reason why I don’t see this is because Sapochnick is directing episode 5 and D&D episode 6. 

The final moments of the NK are going to be heavy fx and action oriented so i would bet they give that to Sapo.

Cersei and Jaime will not be an action sequence so I think D&D can handle. 

But who knows.

14 hours ago, Newstar said:

Given that in one of the S7 script outlines, Bran actually has a vision remembering Jaime pushing him from the tower and that this vision has no subsequent impact on Bran's arc in S7, I think you can take that one to the bank. 

That's what I think, too. Given how the memory of Jaime or "the golden man" still torments book!Bran and triggers his PTSD, I think it would be more interesting if he did have a genuine, emotional reaction to being face to face with the man who almost killed him in the show rather than what the world and his brother are expecting - that the Brantron will be totes cool with it and decide it was "all part of the gods plan" or something. 

5 hours ago, Faera said:

That's what I think, too. Given how the memory of Jaime or "the golden man" still torments book!Bran and triggers his PTSD, I think it would be more interesting if he did have a genuine, emotional reaction to being face to face with the man who almost killed him in the show rather than what the world and his brother are expecting - that the Brantron will be totes cool with it and decide it was "all part of the gods plan" or something. 

Yea. I am not holding my breath. Bran is dead. Its only the 3ER now. 

Summer died the moment Bran was receiving his data dump. 

Meera said he died in the cave just to eliminate all doubt. 

Given how they have communicated Bran is gone, would be surprising to actually have him show emotion and just illogical at this point.

30 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

Yea. I am not holding my breath. Bran is dead. Its only the 3ER now. 

Summer died the moment Bran was receiving his data dump. 

Meera said he died in the cave just to eliminate all doubt. 

Given how they have communicated Bran is gone, would be surprising to actually have him show emotion and just illogical at this point.

I'm not holding my breath either.

Actually allowing some of Bran to surface due to things that well and truly affect him would be way too complex and interesting for what they have reduced him to now. He's just a bland, unsympathetic and dull human-shaped time machine now.

11 minutes ago, Faera said:

Actually allowing some of Bran to surface due to things that well and truly affect him would be way too complex and interesting for what they have reduced him to now. He's just a bland, unsympathetic and dull human-shaped time machine now.

I don’t think its way too complex and interesting. It just wouldn’t even make sense at this point. 

The ship of having Bran react to jaime sailed. Why would someone who can watch his sister get rapped get spooked out by remembering the person who threw him out of a tree? Why would the person who can remember and experience every horrible event in human history be spooked out by that? Once they went with the idea that Bran lost himself in the flood of memories he has in his head it really foreclosed that as a logical storyline. 

Bran Stark is dead. If they want to explore something interesting they should have a scene where his siblings deal with that and process that there brother is there but he isn’t the way Meera did. Or they should explore what type of decisions does someone devoid of emotion but super powerful make. 

I saw a theory that Bran would be the one to burn KL down to stop the NK from getting his million man army. I thought that was interesting since someone devoid of emotion would make a mathematical decision like that. Sacrifice 1 M to save the world. Not sure if that is true, but exploring stuff like that would be a way to explore what Bran has become in an interesting way. 

Although that assumes they even care enough about Bran to explore him which is not clear at this point.

20 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

Although that assumes they even care enough about Bran to explore him which is not clear at this point.

They don't care at all. Bran serves a purely functional purpose for them now.

Edit: As for his siblings having a "Oh, Bran isn't Bran anymore" moment... I don't think it would have had the same emotional impact as it did with Meera. Yes, he's their brother but none of them have seen him since he was a ten-year-old boy and now he's "a man grown". So, it's a given that he'd not be the person they knew. They're all pretty bloody different and strangers to each other after all that time.

Meera, on the other hand, has been with him for years and was closer to him than any of them are at this point. The whole "Bran is gone" thing only really works with her to the effect that it did.

8 minutes ago, Faera said:

They don't care at all. Bran serves a purely functional purpose for them now.

Edit: As for his siblings having a "Oh, Bran isn't Bran anymore" moment... I don't think it would have had the same emotional impact as it did with Meera. Yes, he's their brother but none of them have seen him since he was a ten-year-old boy and now he's "a man grown". So, it's a given that he'd not be the person they knew. They're all pretty bloody different and strangers to each other after all that time.

Meera, on the other hand, has been with him for years and was closer to him than any of them are at this point. The whole "Bran is gone" thing only really works with her to the effect that it did.

Agreed. Meera was probably how they explored it and its now done. 

Bran does serve a purely functional purpose. Bran is 14th in terms of screentime by character. Ned hasn’t been on since season 1 and he still has more screen time than Bran. Third tier character at best on the show.

7 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

Agreed. Meera was probably how they explored it and its now done. 

Bran does serve a purely functional purpose. Bran is 14th in terms of screentime by character. Ned hasn’t been on since season 1 and he still has more screen time than Bran. Third tier character at best on the show.

I know. It is disappointing (to me - I love the book character) but not too surprising considering the priorities of the show.

2 hours ago, Faera said:

I think he will become normal again, and that will serve them as a shocking twist. I think there will be lots of twists and some predictable things, but not many of this kind.

9 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I think he will become normal again, and that will serve them as a shocking twist. I think there will be lots of twists and some predictable things, but not many of this kind.

If they do have Bran resurface, I'd be pleasantly surprised. However, I have given up on the show-writers managing to do anything compelling or interesting with this character anymore. He's far and away beyond the promise of his book counterpart. To the show, he's nothing more than a prop for other characters to lean on for flashbacks and plot-details.

26 minutes ago, Faera said:

If they do have Bran resurface, I'd be pleasantly surprised. However, I have given up on the show-writers managing to do anything compelling or interesting with this character anymore. He's far and away beyond the promise of his book counterpart. To the show, he's nothing more than a prop for other characters to lean on for flashbacks and plot-details.

I agree but let's take also into account that  all the plot in wf was basicaly invented, so they needed Bran not to be aware of LF during a season. That's my take, they did that to him so as that LF could manipulate the sisters. Season 8 will be based on the original ending of asoiaf, and I highly doubt he is just an exposition machine, given hes is one of the POVS. If that's not the case, I'lll be disappointed.

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Season 8 will be based on the original ending of asoiaf, and I highly doubt he is just an exposition machine, given hes is one of the POVS. If that's not the case, I'lll be disappointed.

I hear this a lot... but how much will GRRM have realistically revealed about the character end games?

The fact that Bran has essentially done nothing since leaving Bloodraven's cave aside from being creepy, being a vision-generator and warging ravens, it indicates that they have little to no idea what they're supposed to do with him. Perhaps he told them whether he lives at the end and where his character is but little else. I understand that D&D would have wanted to know what the end game will be but I question whether GRRM would have "sold the trade secrets" completely.

Case in point, I wonder if "Hold the door" will happen remotely like it did in the show... seeing as 1.) I don't see BR's cave having a door for Hodor to hold - at least, not one that leads outside - and 2.) There is no NK to "mark" Bran as a means to bust into the cave. It was supposedly one of the three "twists" or secrets that GRRM gave to D&D but I wonder if the twists came with complete context or they had to make stuff up.

49 minutes ago, Faera said:

I hear this a lot... but how much will GRRM have realistically revealed about the character end games?

The fact that Bran has essentially done nothing since leaving Bloodraven's cave aside from being creepy, being a vision-generator and warging ravens, it indicates that they have little to no idea what they're supposed to do with him. Perhaps he told them whether he lives at the end and where his character is but little else. I understand that D&D would have wanted to know what the end game will be but I question whether GRRM would have "sold the trade secrets" completely.

Case in point, I wonder if "Hold the door" will happen remotely like it did in the show... seeing as 1.) I don't see BR's cave having a door for Hodor to hold - at least, not one that leads outside - and 2.) There is no NK to "mark" Bran as a means to bust into the cave. It was supposedly one of the three "twists" or secrets that GRRM gave to D&D but I wonder if the twists came with complete context or they had to make stuff up.

I doubt we will ever trully know what it means that D&D know the end game. 

What i think is fairly likely is that they know what George knew about the end game in 2013 when they sat down with him. The exact level of details who knows. It might be nothing more than who lives, who dies, what key roles certain people might play and who rules in the end. George has said he had the basic end game mapped out since 1991 so he clearly had something he shared with them. Who knows how detailed that was. 

The theee big twists are related to the end game since they has to do with the death of Stannis, the death of Hodor and the death of whoever/ whomever the third twist is about. 

Regarding Bran, all they might have been told is whether he lives or dies as you say and what role his greensight plays in defeating the Others because that is all grrm knew in 2013. 

So i agree with you ultimatley. I would not put much stock in Bran being Bran again because the ending is the same since that might be nothing more than he lives in both.

1 hour ago, Faera said:

I suppose they know his endgame actions (like how he will fight against the others for instance) and they'll do a simplified option of that. I think he did reveal the endgame to them, just that of course, it won't be as complex. As for what has happened in s7in regards to Sansa, Arya and Bran, I think everything is cmpletely invented. SO yeah, they had zero idea of what to do with them. I can't see the plot of WF (Bran, Arya or Sansa) happening at all in the books, especially the LF trial, Bran being weird, and Sansa and Arya fighting at all. 

I suppose there is part of truth in HOld the Door, and that will likely involve time travel, so in a sense, it will be the same idea but more complex.

57 minutes ago, Faera said:

Since GRRM is credited as an executive producer, I think he might be contractually obligated to reveal at least the broad outline of the endgame he has in mind. Hold the door may not happen exactly like the show in the books, but it will happen. The show may get to the end via a different path, but think both media will still end on similar notes.

As for Bran, he was the first POV in the first book, which makes me believe he is extremely important. And if he is important in the books, he will likely have an important role in the show too.

12 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I suppose they know his endgame actions (like how he will fight against the others for instance) and they'll do a simplified option of that. I think he did reveal the endgame to them, just that of course, it won't be as complex. As for what has happened in s7in regards to Sansa, Arya and Bran, I think everything is cmpletely invented. SO yeah, they had zero idea of what to do with them. I can't see the plot of WF (Bran, Arya or Sansa) happening at all in the books, especially the LF trial, Bran being weird, and Sansa and Arya fighting at all.

As for Sansa, Arya and Bran, I suppose GRRM told the showrunners that the Stark siblings team up to kill LF and Sansa is the one passing the sentence (maid killing a giant in a snow castle). The fighting may have been added for dramatic effect. In the books, a headsman or a loyal bannerman could end up killing LF, if not Arya.

8 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

As for Sansa, Arya and Bran, I suppose GRRM told the showrunners that the Stark siblings team up to kill LF and Sansa is the one passing the sentence (maid killing a giant in a snow castle). The fighting may have been added for dramatic effect. In the books, a headsman or a loyal bannerman could end up killing LF, if not Arya.

Yea. This is a good example. 

20 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

I dunno, it's a possibility, but I actually thing that it could even be invented since I can't see a situation in which LF is completely defeated without resources in a trial (he is more intelligent for that to happen), and I can't see how they'd be all living together in WF with LF there with them.

Archived