Most Adaptable Works of Fantasy

The Prince of Newcastle

Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time, Andrzej Sapowski’s Witcher books and Patrick Rothfuss’s The Kingkiller Chronicle are currently being adapted for the screen. Not to mention  Westeros and Middle Earth spinoffs.

Wheel of Time has been optioned by Sony but they haven't got a partner studio yet, and their most likely partner (Amazon) are now out of the picture. The Kingkiller Chronicle prequel TV show has been greenlit, but the books themselves have not been picked up by a studio yet.

9 hours ago, MorgulisMaximus said:

So which fantasy novels will be headed to the screen next? Probably something from Brandon Sanderson... not because it is “adaptable” but because some studio executive believes it might be profitable.

I believe both Mistborn and the Stormlight Archive are being looked at by studios, but I don't recall in what phase the discussions, if any, were.

I would definitely want it to be a series that is finished as a written work.  I am a WoT fan so that one could be good but I worry it's just too long and won't last.  I haven't really seen any details as to how it would be adapted, though.   

Malazan could be a great TV show if done right.  Which could be said for anything, I guess, but the episodic format is perfect for Malazan.

I agree something by Sanderson will get adapted.  Hopefully it will be good.  I like Mistborn and that would probably be the best to adapt.  We'll see what happens.

I don't know.  A lot of the books I like I don't want to see adapted.  Or if they are I likely wouldn't watch. 

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I believe both Mistborn and the Stormlight Archive are being looked at by studios, but I don't recall in what phase the discussions, if any, were.

An American company (with Chinese backing) has optioned the rights. They don't have a production partner yet though.

Archived