Favorite single combat scenes

Calibandar

Alright, I give up. Here are some of my favorite film fights:

Archibald Cunningham v. Rob Roy, Rob Roy - Probably one of the greatest uses of fight choreography to display character. I also love the irony of Rob cutting his hand to win a fight where he previously cut his hand to avoid one.

Yu Shu Lien v. Jen, Crouching Tiger. Hidden Dragon - Some excellent fight choreography with a nice buffet of weapons. It also portrays the concept of a superior swordsman fighting a superior weapon very well.

Chingachgook v. Magua, Last of the Mohicans - A short but brutally satisfying closer to one of my favorite film climaxes. Eat tomahawk, Magua!

Hector v. Achilles, Troy - Ironically, this fight is far, far more satisfying than the poem, despite being in a movie that is far, far inferior to most cinema. The scene does well on all fronts. It portrays the fighers' different styles, with Achilles's flashy stances and superman-stab signature move versus Hector's sheer desperation. It's got great choreography, stylized but still giving a sense of violence and impact. It's got a nice variety of weaponry, including full use of seldom-used spears and shields.

Fronsac v. Jean-François de Morangias, Brotherhood of the Wolf - This scene comes straight out of Soul Calibur, but the fighting is well done and the use of the ridiculous weaponry is very fun.

Hashimoto v. Ching Wan, Duel to the Death - The draw for this movie is definitely the crazy ninja scenes, but the titular duel at the end is surprisingly well done for the time period. It's got a dramatic setting, operatic music, stylish and well-executed moves, and an awesomely silly aerial sequence that works far better than it should.

Wong Fei-hung v. John (?), Drunken Master II - I think Jackie Chan is better known for his group-fighting and stunts, but this scene shows that he can still channel all his talents into a one-on-one duel and make it just as good. This is represents some of the best that eastern-style fight scenes can accomplish for my tastes.

The One-Armed Boxer v. the Thai Kickboxer, Master of the Flying Guillotine - This movie is really just a long string of duels, not the least of which is the OAB's systematic deconstruction of Flying Guillotine's arsenal. However, my favorite is still the surprisingly brutal scene in which our hero fights a bare-footed kickboxer in a locked room as the metal floor quickly heats up, basically roasting the man alive during the process of the fight. Pretty nasty stuff for such a silly kung-fu movie.

"One-Punch" Mickey v. Horace 'Good Night' Anderson, Snatch - Style overload and good use of Oasis's "F#cking in the Bushes" make this a very enjoyable fight and a great climax for this quirky movie.

There are a bunch of other fight scenes that I love but I didn't list here because I tried to stick with the single-combat theme. For example, the best scene in Ninja Scroll is Tessai's slaughter of the Koga Ninja in the beginning of the movie, but that's a group-fight.

Tybalt vs. Mercutio then Tybalt vs. Romeo...

The banter between Tybalt and Mercutio coupled with one of the greatest death scenes in the history of literature when Mercutio dies is amazing. Then Romeo truly becomes fortune's fool.

Titus Pullo vs Gladiators in Rome, absolutely fantastic!

Awesome scene, probably the high point of season 1. I'm very excited for season 2 to start this year.

Oh, and I'd also like to throw a vote for The Red Viper vs Gregor fight.

He chanted a song of wizardry,

Of piercing, opening, of treachery,

Revealing, uncovering, betraying.

Then sudden Felagund there swaying,

Sang in a song of staying,

Resisting, battling against power,

Of secrets kept, strength like a tower,

And trust unbroken, freedom, escape;

Of changing and shifting shape,

Of snares eluded, broken traps,

The prison opening, the chain that snaps.

Backwards and forwards swayed their song.

Reeling foundering, as ever more strong

The chanting swelled, Felagund fought,

And all the magic and might he brought

Of Elvenesse into his words.

Softly in the gloom they heard the birds

Singing afar in Nargothrond,

The sighting of the Sea beyond,

Beyond the western world, on sand,

On sand of pearls on Elvenland.

Then in the doom gathered; darkness growing

In Valinor, the red blood flowing

Beside the Sea, where the Nolder slew

The Foamriders, and stealing drew

Their white ships with their white sails

From lamplit havens. The wind wails,

The wolf howls. The ravens flee.

The ice mutters in the mouths of the Sea.

The captives sad in Angband mourn.

Thunder rumbles, the fires burn-

And Finrod fell before the throne.

And

Therefore Morgoth came, climbing slowly from his subterranean throne, and the rumor of his feet was like thunder underground. And he issued forth clad in black armour; and he stood before the King like a tower, iron-crowned, and his vast shield, sable unblazoned, cast a shadow over him like a stormcloud. But Fingolfin gleamed beneath it as a star; for his mail was overlaid with silver, and his blue shield was set with crystals; and he drew his sword Ringil, that glittered like ice.

Then Morgoth hurled aloft Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld, and swung it down like a bolt of thunder. But Fingolfin sprang aside, and Grond rent a mighty pit in the earth whence smoke and fire darted. Many times Morgoth essayed to smite him, and each time Fingolfin leaped away, as a lighting shoots from under a dark cloud; and he wounded Morgoth with seven wounds, and seven times Morgoth gave a cry of anguish, whereat the hosts of Angband fell upon their faces in dismay, and the cries echoed in the Northlands.

But at last the King grew weary, and Morgoth bore down his shield upon him. Thrice he was crushed to his knees, and thrice arose again and bore up his broken shield and stricken helm. But the earth was all rent and pitted about him, and he stumbled and fell backward before the feet of Morgoth; and Morgoth set his left foot upon his neck, and the weight of it was like a fallen hill. Yet with his last and desperate stroke Fingolfin hewed the foot with Ringil, and the blood gushed forth black and smoking and filled the pits of Grond.

Thus died Fingolfin, High King of the Noldor, most proud and valiant of the Elven-Kings of old. The Orcs made no boast of that duel at the gate; neither do the Elves sing of it, for their sorrow is too deep.

Red Viper vs. the Mountain is also an excellent one-on-one depiction, but the two from the Silmarillion really give me chills. Mat vs. Gawyn and Galad come after Oberyn/Gregor.

If you've read the Mahabharata, the fight of Abhimanyu against Drona, Kripa, Radheya, Kritavarma, Aswatthama, and Dussassana's son is pretty badass as well.

Red Viper vs. the Mountain is also an excellent one-on-one depiction, but the two from the Silmarillion really give me chills. Mat vs. Gawyn and Galad come after Oberyn/Gregor.

I really didn't like Mat vs G&G because I found it so unrealistic. If memory serves, by that point in the books Mat hadn't really shown any fighting ability so to suddenly beat 2 guys at once, both of whom would have been well training just highlighting one of my biggest bugbears in Fantasy. People, usually young men, who with no training whatsoever develop from being timid youths in book 1 to becoming death machines by book 3.

But the Red Viper vs the Mountain is just about the top that's for sure. I also really like Robert vs Rhaegar despite the fact we have almost no description of it.

In terms of movies I totally agree with previous mentions of Last of the Mohicans. That is just about my favourite. Partly because for once the hero does not kill the villain but also because it is so hilariously one sided.

Rob Roy is also fantastic, for all the reasons mentioned. I liked Aragorn versus Lurz in FotR. The build up to it with Boromir's redemption invested it with a lot of emotional impact anyway and it is nice a brutal. It is also the only time I have ever heard a cinema audience cheer. (bear in mind I am in the UK at this point)

Neo versus Agent Smith in the Matrix was great, far better than any scene from any of the sequels. I liked the end fight in Equilibrium, simply because the opponent has been built up as the hero's comparative equal and the fight is nothing like you expect.

In terms of Hong Kong movies I liked Bruce Lee versus O'Hara in Enter the Dragon, again because it was totally and utterly one sided after the villain had been built up. The end fight with Jet Li in Fist of Legend is just totally awesome. Basically anything involving Jang Lee Hwang in Drunken Master is great too.

And again a bit one sided but the end fight in Kung Fu Hustle is a lot of fun too, though (despite it being not single combat) the very first fight scene in the movie in Pigsty Alley is far better. One last one, the end single combat in Zatoichi.

Keslier vs Steel Inquisitor at the end of Mistborn

I remember the first time I read it I was amazed at what a great fight scene it was- I thought: 'I wish I could see this on film.'

I also second many of the scenes from Tolkien as sited in the original post. I think you missed a few:

Huan the Hound vs Carcharoth the Werewolf

Feanor vs the Balrogs of Morgoth

I really didn't like Mat vs G&G because I found it so unrealistic. If memory serves, by that point in the books Mat hadn't really shown any fighting ability so to suddenly beat 2 guys at once, both of whom would have been well training just highlighting one of my biggest bugbears in Fantasy. People, usually young men, who with no training whatsoever develop from being timid youths in book 1 to becoming death machines by book 3.

Actually, it was mentioned in the first few chapter's of book one that the two best quaterstaff wielder's in the Two Rivers was Rand's father, and Mat's father- and when Rand is discussing the upcoming Spring Festival competition, Rand, Mat, and Perrin all seem to think that Mat has the best chance of winning the young men's quarterstaff competition- with Rand winning the archer's contest.

It was one of the fight scenes that actually did fit with Mat's original character- and don't forget that Mat had that whole strange luck thing going on at the time.

Actually, it was mentioned in the first few chapter's of book one that the two best quaterstaff wielder's in the Two Rivers was Rand's father, and Mat's father- and when Rand is discussing the upcoming Spring Festival competition, Rand, Mat, and Perrin all seem to think that Mat has the best chance of winning the young men's quarterstaff competition- with Rand winning the archer's contest.

It was one of the fight scenes that actually did fit with Mat's original character- and don't forget that Mat had that whole strange luck thing going on at the time.

Point taken but you're still talking about a boy who might have been perhaps the best young quarterstaff wielder in a small village or two. How many youths of that age might that have included? 20? 40? 200 even? In any case its being a big fish in an extremely small pond, if not a puddle.

Whereas two princes of royal blood are liable to have received the best training available one would think, particularly given the avenue of employment they were looking to go towards.

As for the luck, well I ignored that in my considerations as to me that is just a constantly available, switch on, switch off deux ea machina for the author.

As for the luck, well I ignored that in my considerations as to me that is just a constantly available, switch on, switch off deux ea machina for the author.

Don't forget those 'spidey senses' he picked up later. :lol:

Although if I remember the scene correctly, he was extrememly exhausted physicaly from detatching the daggar, so that would weigh against him.

I forgot one great movie fight: Mal vs. the Operative in Serenity. Just a bone-crusher, hot vs. cold, good vs. evil classic. And in another room, River dances with the Reavers and the blood is flying off her blade. All hail Whedon!

Martin has got several from ASOIAF:

Bronn vs. Sir Vardis

Sandor Clegane vs. Dondarion

Red Viper vs. Gregor

You hit a nail on its had there mate.

No one comes close to Marin when it comes to duel descriptions, and those 3 are best in that exact order.

I would add Jaime Vs. Brienne at number 4.

• 1 year later...

Couple more that I've read since:

Some or all of Logen's encounters in the First Law trilogy. Absolutely astounding. Northmen on top.

Threetrees vs The Feared

Scenes from the Warlord Trilogy by Cornwell such as the one between Tristan and King Mark's brutal champion, Derfel in various single combat scenes such as the one agains Liofa and top of all is probably the tragic Arthur vs Owain battle. Such a loss that one of the two had to die but Arthur forced a fight because he knew it was too much a case of two captains on one ship.

Finally a scene that is forever etched in my mind from the First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. My favorite character, the Forestal Caerroil Wildwood is the only one able to dish out proper punishment to The Raver who has inhabited the body of the Giant, called Fleshharrower. Singlehandedlly hanging this great terror from the trees and burning his soul to nothingness, he ends by proclaiming:

"He is garroted".

Masterful.

I want to mention one from China Mieville's The Scar. I mean, one of the sides is an army so it's not technically single combat, but the other side is Uther Doul so it more or less evens out as 1v1... :P

I also have a soft spot for Trull against Icarium in Malazan. Mostly made up for the book it was in being quite average.

Archived