Will this universe come to a future time or to an end ?

SunfyreTheGolden

Just a quick question... by future time, are you asking of in ASOIAF that time is a wheel, or river, always a flow that repeats itself? If so, then there are many readers who do think so which is (in theory) why we have so many names for the same historic character. A time loop. I can't really answer more because I want to clarify what you meant about future time.

I don't think there will be a total apocalyptic doomsday the way we are shown in movies with just two survivors, but I do tend to feel there will be a great culling of sorts, a time to "reset". This is one of the reasons why there are so very many underground lairs and bunkers of sorts in just about every region known.

I believe that in Planetos that time is linear and always forward moving.  The series likely ended with ADWD, but if any other books are released which wrap up the story, I imagine it will just be sometime further in the future relative to the end of ADWD, but without a time-jump, without characters going back in the past and repeating history, without characters obviously fulfilling the "Azor Ahai" and "Prince that was promised" prophecies (meaning that they wouldn't need to be fulfilled again in the future).  I do not expect a doomsday ending, but if GRRM released TWOW and all it said was "Winter came and everyone died, the end." I'd be completely satisfied.

I think this coming winter is something of a doomsday.  I just  posted this, so let's see if it stayed handy...

Old Nan agreed. "Thousands and thousands of years ago, a winter fell that was cold and hard and endless beyond all memory of man. There came a night that lasted a generation, and kings shivered and died in their castles even as the swineherds in their hovels. Women smothered their children rather than see them starve, and cried, and felt their tears freeze on their cheeks."  AGOT Bran VI

No sunlight for a generation?  A winter so cold and hard and endless beyond all memory?  Sounds like doomsday to me.  Will it happen?  I don't know.   I haven't yet received my preview copy of TWOW.  So all I can really do is note that it's snowing in King's Landing and hope for another sample chapter or more information.   

Archived