Cricket: ODIs Aren’t Proper Cricket Edition

Hereward

I missed the start but it looks like Ireland are letting it slip a bit here. Pakistan haven’t really gotten away but 2 wickets are a few less than you’d want from the first session having chosen to bowl.

Yes Pakistan wrestled back the advantage quite nicely there, particularly on the back of the seventh wicket partnership between the two young allrounders.

Not a terrible first outing for the hosts though so far...

23 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Not a terrible first outing for the hosts though so far...

Given the difference in pedigree between the two sides it does seem to be a respectable performance by Ireland so far. However, the real challenge could be when they bat which always seemed likely to the tricker task.

Yes batting will be trickier, which is why I think they were slightly deflated to have given lower order runs away to a debutant and a second-gamer. They probably could do with a bit more variety in their attack. The plethora of right-arm medium bowlers made them look like England’s Ashes attack...

It’s something we may need to get used to. Bangladesh had the opposite problem of playing on batting friendly pitches - they would score 200-300 (on a good day!) while the opposition mounted huge 500+ totals. Ireland should be able to restrict a lot of teams to less than 300 on seamer-friendly tracks, but then they will find themselves getting bowled out for 100 frequently.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Hmm, yeah, unfortunately I think this might well get fairly embarrassing. 4 down now.

At least they've got into three figures now. I doubt they'll manage to avoid the follow-on, but Pakistan probably won't enforce it anyway since they'll want as much batting practice as possible before the England Tests. Playing a Test against Ireland does seem better preparation than the traditional warm-ups against half-hearted county sides so I wonder if that might be become popular among sides touring England.

49 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Playing a Test against Ireland does seem better preparation than the traditional warm-ups against half-hearted county sides so I wonder if that might be become popular among sides touring England.

That’s a good point. I hadn’t thought of that but it’d certainly make sense. Hopefully it’ll get Ireland a steady diet of tests even if they’re just single test series.

ETA: Pakistan have enforced the follow on. They’re probably not enjoying being outside in Ireland in May.

A miles better performance with the bat today and Kevin O'Brien's Ireland's first centurion in test cricket. Great effort. I am a little surprised Pakistan haven't gone to spin a little more than they have though.

If Ireland can get the lead up to about 150 they might even be in with a chance of winning tomorrow.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

A miles better performance with the bat today and Kevin O'Brien's Ireland's first centurion in test cricket. Great effort. I am a little surprised Pakistan haven't gone to spin a little more than they have though.

If Ireland can get the lead up to about 150 they might even be in with a chance of winning tomorrow.

It is an impressive effort from Ireland for their debut Test. Kevin O'Brien does seem to save his best efforts for the most challenging situations, he's already hit probably Ireland's greatest ODI century in their World Cup win over England and now he's their first Test centurion - apparently this is only his second first class century.

Oh dear Sarfraz. That follow-on decision must be making him feel quite ill (especially given that the usual 200-run threshold was reduced and he still enforced!)

Amazing stuff from O’Brien.

49 minutes ago, Hereward said:

It was an impressive knock. I have a feeling that Ireland are going to win this game, if the weather allows.

It's definitely becoming a possibility, it's still probably going to be quite a low total to chase so Pakistan should be able to get it if they don't self-destruct, but with any Pakistan team that's always a possibility.

Away from Ireland the England squad for the Pakistan series will be announced soon. I see one England batsman has made a timely double century just before the squad selection which would normally be welcome, I just wish it had been a batsman other than James Vince.

Yes I’m intrigued to see what Ed Smith and co decide on. It would seem silly for a brand new selection panel to make a statement by...picking the same team that failed to win a single test over the winter. Do they stick with Cook and Stoneman at the top? Is Woakes a banker now that conditions will suit? Moeen?

Nick Compton has suggested moving Cook to 3 ... to make way for all those world-class openers knocking on the door, I presume!

I like Cook as an opener and Root at 3 - though possibly Malan could come in at 3 if we lose an early wicket.

I don’t understand the reluctance to bat Root at 3. It’s not like he’s making Smith or Kohli type hundreds every time he bats at 4...

Pakistan started with their usual wobbles. Sarfraz must be feeling sicker by the minute.

Archived