I'm curious how justice is dispensed in Westeros

Stormking902

I was reading up on some very minor Frey characters and I came upon a Frey who turned into an outlaw, which got me thinking who dispenses justice on Frey lands for instance or on Bolton or any nobles lands etc. 

For example say if this Frey outlaw was captured on Frey lands who's job is it to dispense justice house Frey or house Tully? Would Walder just allow his grandson to walk free ? Are their consequences for allowing his grandson to walk free if he did do so?.

It seems like nobles are rarely executed and will only be sent to the Wall for the most severe of crimes.

I imagine that having the Frey's dispense justice in this scenario is the most practical thing to do since The Twins are probably a few weeks ride away from Riverrun. 

Lord Walder would probably just send his son/grandson to the Wall. Letting Outlaw Frey go free would likely cause tensions with his neighbours - especially if their lands were targeted.

8 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

I was reading up on some very minor Frey characters and I came upon a Frey who turned into an outlaw, which got me thinking who dispenses justice on Frey lands for instance or on Bolton or any nobles lands etc. 

For example say if this Frey outlaw was captured on Frey lands who's job is it to dispense justice house Frey or house Tully? Would Walder just allow his grandson to walk free ? Are their consequences for allowing his grandson to walk free if he did do so?.

Not surprising when you consider how many of them there are.  Walder Frey will dispense justice.  Since there is nothing at all to criticize Walder's ability to govern his lands, I will have to say the noble outlaw will be judged fairly according to their standards.  Walder gets a lot of hate for the red wedding but there is nothing all that says he was an inept, unjust, and incompetent lord.

What would Eddard do if Jon had deserted the Wall to march with Robb?

Walder Frey has a surplus of sons, grandsons, etc. and doesn't necessarily care overmuch about their well-being.  I expect that if this Frey were captured, Lord Walder might very well order the man's execution, especially if his actions were sufficiently scandalous..  It would serve as an example, and such men could easily bring the Frey name into disrepute.  And let's face it, Lord Walder is hardly the sentimental type.  I seriously doubt he would shed so much as a tear.

If they are Lords then they have the right of pit and gallows. It is one of the key differences between Lords and Knightly houses. 

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1203/

As I see it, the title "lord" -- when used formally, and not simply as an honorific --conveys not only prestige, but certain legal rights as well. The right of pit and gallows, as they were once called, for instance -- i.e. authority to hang people and toss them into dungeons. - grrm

For example say if this Frey outlaw was captured on Frey lands who's job is it to dispense justice house Frey or house Tully?

it would be Walder, we see evidence of this from a member of the nights watch

She stopped laughing when he put his knife in her. That was sweet, the look on her face, so he pulled the knife out and put it in her again. When they caught him down near Sevenstreams, old Lord Walder Frey hadn't even bothered to come himself to do the judging. He'd sent one of his bastards, that Walder Rivers, and the next thing Chett had known he was walking to the Wall with that foul-smelling black devil Yoren. To pay for his one sweet moment, they took his whole life.

Would Walder just allow his grandson to walk free ?

it depends where Aegon is located. He may not have became an outlaw on Frey lands, but some other Lords and been caught and refused to accept his punishment. 

If he is on Frey land, and Walder is OK with him, then he can basically walk free but if his crimes were commited elsewhere and is caught elsewhere then Walder is not in control of the situation.

Are their consequences for allowing his grandson to walk free if he did do so?.

I'd say nothing is set in stone, it would be a pretty flexible case. 

27 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Walder Frey has a surplus of sons, grandsons, etc. and doesn't necessarily care overmuch about their well-being.

He actually does, that is why Merrett is worried about a Walderless future. 

Lord Walder would soon turn two-and-ninety. His ears had started to go, his eyes were almost gone, and his gout was so bad that he had to be carried everywhere. He could not possibly last much longer, all his sons agreed. And when he goes, everything will change, and not for the better. His father was querulous and stubborn, with an iron will and a wasp's tongue, but he did believe in taking care of his own. All of his own, even the ones who had displeased and disappointed him. Even the ones whose names he can't remember. Once he was gone, though . . .
When Ser Stevron had been heir, that was one thing. The old man had been grooming Stevron for sixty years, and had pounded it into his head that blood was blood. 

Well if we learned anything from The Sworn Sword even the most minor of nobility can execute their commoners without rebuke, unless a higher noble steps in. 

Basically if their status is below yours the law is open for interpretation, just do what you want and ask for forgiveness later if necessary.

Archived