NBA Free agency 2018: Where's the King landing?

Red Tiger

Honestly, I didn't think James was a fit in Houston. He would fit if you replaced either CP or Harden with him, but I don't think those 3 together maximize their potential.  James needs to be surrounded by shooters and athletes.

11 minutes ago, sperry said:

Honestly, I didn't think James was a fit in Houston. He would fit if you replaced either CP or Harden with him, but I don't think those 3 together maximize their potential.  James needs to be surrounded by shooters and athletes.

If you took last year's Rockets and swapped James for Harden you'd have a team that would have a good chance against GSW.  Of course, last year's Rockets DID have a good chance against GSW before Paul got hurt.  I'd say they would be better with James because they wouldn't have any weak links defensively, but then I've never been a fan of Harden's game. 

The problem is that obviously there's no way the Rockets are shipping out Harden for Lebron, he's much younger and coming off an MVP season. 

6 minutes ago, Maithanet der Mannschaft said:

If you took last year's Rockets and swapped James for Harden you'd have a team that would have a good chance against GSW.  Of course, last year's Rockets DID have a good chance against GSW before Paul got hurt.  I'd say they would be better with James because they wouldn't have any weak links defensively, but then I've never been a fan of Harden's game. 

The problem is that obviously there's no way the Rockets are shipping out Harden for Lebron, he's much younger and coming off an MVP season. 

Yes I agree. Which is why I dont' think James to Houston ever made much sense.

I'm starting to think James to the Clippers makes the most sense, which is not something that's getting any traction. LeBron, Pat Bev, Tobias Harris, Gallo, Lou Williams, DeAndre Jordan, and Teodosic is a legit 7 deep to start with. You have Jerry West in LA which I'm guessing would help bring LeBron in. Ship the Rivers boys out on the next greyhound bus, trade 12+13 for another good wing, and all of a sudden you have a very legit roster.

1 hour ago, sperry said:

Yes I agree. Which is why I dont' think James to Houston ever made much sense.

I'm starting to think James to the Clippers makes the most sense, which is not something that's getting any traction. LeBron, Pat Bev, Tobias Harris, Gallo, Lou Williams, DeAndre Jordan, and Teodosic is a legit 7 deep to start with. You have Jerry West in LA which I'm guessing would help bring LeBron in. Ship the Rivers boys out on the next greyhound bus, trade 12+13 for another good wing, and all of a sudden you have a very legit roster.

No, it is not. Not at all. I give you Deandre, but that's it. The rest of those are guys who would be riding the bench on good teams.

6 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

No, it is not. Not at all. I give you Deandre, but that's it. The rest of those are guys who would be riding the bench on good teams.

What are you talking about?  Patrick Beverley is a 1st team all-defense point guard who shoots 40% from 3. That guy starts on any team in the league. Tobias Harris is a damn good wing. Lou Williams is an elite scorer. Teodosic is a perfect backup point guard. Gallinari is another elite scorer. Every single one of those guys is a rotation player on every team in the league, aside from maybe Milos.

1 hour ago, sperry said:

What are you talking about?  Patrick Beverley is a 1st team all-defense point guard who shoots 40% from 3. That guy starts on any team in the league. Tobias Harris is a damn good wing. Lou Williams is an elite scorer. Teodosic is a perfect backup point guard. Gallinari is another elite scorer. Every single one of those guys is a rotation player on every team in the league, aside from maybe Milos.

This line of thinking is precisely what fucked over the knicks for many years. They got players who were good at one thing (volume scoring) and confused that with being overall good players. 

Gallinari an elite scorer? He didn't even get 40% from the field. He also got less than 16 points and  he got 32% from three-point range, so I dunno on what planet or by what metric he is an elite scorer.

Williams an elite scorer? 43.5 from the field.

Now you could make up for those things if they excelled at something else, like defense or passing, but they don't.

Beverley starting on any team in the league? He wouldn't start on Golden State, Houston, San Antonio or Boston if they were all healthy and LeBron is gonna look for teams of that caliber.

There is no way the Clippers have enough talent for Lebron to compete for a championship if he went there.  It's not even close.  The only reason going to LAC makes sense is if he wants to be in LA more than he wants to win, and even then the Lakers are more appealing. 

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

The Dan LeBatard show with Stugotz can be great, I listen to  them.

They go on too long for my taste about all sorts of other stuff but they can be very funny.

That's kind of the point though. They're actively mocking traditional sports radio. 

I know we've mentioned this before, but I'm rooting for Lebron to the Pelicans.  I'm not sure they're talented enough to compete with GSW, but I'm also not sure they're not.  And if they could sign some other good pieces for a discount to join Lebron+Davis, they'd have a real shot. 

Lebron staying in Cleveland is a waste.  Lebron doesn't fit well in Philly or Houston, he doesn't like Boston, LAL are too raw.  Whereas Lebron + Davis would be something new and fresh. 

4 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

This line of thinking is precisely what fucked over the knicks for many years. They got players who were good at one thing (volume scoring) and confused that with being overall good players. 

Gallinari an elite scorer? He didn't even get 40% from the field. He also got less than 16 points and  he got 32% from three-point range, so I dunno on what planet or by what metric he is an elite scorer.

Williams an elite scorer? 43.5 from the field.

Now you could make up for those things if they excelled at something else, like defense or passing, but they don't.

Beverley starting on any team in the league? He wouldn't start on Golden State, Houston, San Antonio or Boston if they were all healthy and LeBron is gonna look for teams of that caliber.

Beverley might not start on Golden State, although he'd get major minutes. He'd start for San Antonio and Boston for sure. Houston he'd likely come off the bench, but again, he'd be playing big minutes. The guy is an elite defender who is a 40% 3 point shooter. That is as valuable as it gets in today's NBA.

Gallinari is an elite scorer. He had a bad year last year, but he's a great scorer. I'd be worried about his injury history, obviously, but when he's fully healthy he's good. Not sure what you're on about for Lou Williams. Dude had a fantastic year last year, his eFG% was 57.4% which is rock solid for a volume scorer. He can also playmake. And Tobias Harris is just a good player all around. Very good scorer, decent, versatile defender.

58 minutes ago, sperry said:

The three of them can play together, and the key would be you could always have two of them on the court at any time. The problem is with those three contracts, you couldn’t have anything other than hot garbage around them. The financial math just doesn’t work unless everyone else takes the minimum.

5 minutes ago, Maithanet der Mannschaft said:

There is no way the Clippers have enough talent for Lebron to compete for a championship if he went there.  It's not even close.  The only reason going to LAC makes sense is if he wants to be in LA more than he wants to win, and even then the Lakers are more appealing. 

Ditto. And regardless, the Lakers have a much better roster and a lot of cap space. If he goes to LA, or the West in general, it's to the Lakers. 

1 hour ago, sperry said:

Beverley might not start on Golden State, although he'd get major minutes. He'd start for San Antonio and Boston for sure. Houston he'd likely come off the bench, but again, he'd be playing big minutes. The guy is an elite defender who is a 40% 3 point shooter. That is as valuable as it gets in today's NBA.

Gallinari is an elite scorer. He had a bad year last year, but he's a great scorer. I'd be worried about his injury history, obviously, but when he's fully healthy he's good. Not sure what you're on about for Lou Williams. Dude had a fantastic year last year, his eFG% was 57.4% which is rock solid for a volume scorer. He can also playmake. And Tobias Harris is just a good player all around. Very good scorer, decent, versatile defender.

Im gonna give you this lasty reply, then im moving on, because there is some straight-up lying in this post.

Off-year for Galinari? His highest field goal percentage for a season ever was 44.8 in his first year. You realize that is still below-average for his position, right? His highest point average for a season was 19.5 and he is nearing 30. He had 44.7 (still low) the year before this, but he only played 62 games, so that's not strange.

Lou Williams? 43.5 from the field, 35.9 from 3. His EFG was 50.5, not 57.4

As for Beverley, you say "The guy is an elite defender who is a 40% 3 point shooter. That is as valuable as it gets in today's NBA." No, that is a better Bruce Bowen and you can do much better than that in today's NBA.

Just now, chiKanery et al. said:

The three of them can play together, and the key would be you could always have two of them on the court at any time. The problem is with those three contracts, you couldn’t have anything other than hot garbage around them. The financial math just doesn’t work unless everyone else takes the minimum.

Ditto. And regardless, the Lakers have a much better roster and a lot of cap space. If he goes to LA, or the West in general, it's to the Lakers. 

How on earth do the Lakers have a much better roster? The players they have under contract are Luol Deng's corpse (who is eating up $18 million per year for the next two), Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Josh Hart, Tyler Ennis, Ivica Zubac, and Thomas Bryant. They can bring back Julius Randle, although doing so puts a big damper in that cap space.

So you have a bunch of rookies who could theoretically end up being good, plus Julius Randle for a bunch of money, plus whoever they can get in free agency. That group has high upside, but it's likely 2+ years before those young guys are ready to compete at the highest levels, and that's if they reach their full potential. The timing factor is why it doesn't make sense for LeBron to go to the Lakers this offseason. Let those guys marinate for another year and see what Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, and Hart look like a year from now.

9 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Im gonna give you this lasty reply, then im moving on, because there is some straight-up lying in this post.

Off-year for Galinari? His highest field goal percentage for a season ever was 44.8 in his first year. You realize that is still below-average for his position, right? His highest point average for a season was 19.5 and he is nearing 30. He had 44.7 (still low) the year before this, but he only played 62 games, so that's not strange.

Lou Williams? 43.5 from the field, 35.9 from 3. His EFG was 50.5, not 57.4

As for Beverley, you say "The guy is an elite defender who is a 40% 3 point shooter. That is as valuable as it gets in today's NBA." No, that is a better Bruce Bowen and you can do much better than that in today's NBA.

Yes, it was an off-year from Galinari.

For Lou Williams, I conflated eFG and TS%. His TS% is 57.4. EFG of 50.5% is still solid for a volume scorer, though.

And Bruce Bowen would be damn near a max contract guy in today's NBA.

Also, calling me a liar is just ridiculous and insulting.

1 minute ago, Red Tiger said:

He said it, boys, not me.

Yes, a 5 time all defensive first team player who can lock down the wing and  who shoots over 40% from 3 is going to get a fuck ton of money. This shouldn't be difficult to understand.

15 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Hold up, why did you change your name?

Haven't you noticed that a lot of people have changed their names and avatars? It's almost like there's this big tournament going on right now...

Archived