NBA Free agency 2018: Where's the King landing?

Red Tiger

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I can already see a sequel to the Uncle Drew movie in the works.

Only if I get to recreate the Malice at the Palace after being brought in for "Some of that West Coast ball".

Suns had a great draft. Celtics got a top 10 talent at the end of the first round. Nuggets get Michael Porter Jr. at 14. Those were the big winners in my book.

Kings went the safe but unexciting route with Bagley. Doncic is the wild card. The NBA internet is convinced he's an all-timer prospect. I haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion, but it's weird that teams weren't as high on him.

I feel like Robert Williams and Lonnie Walker are being touted as "steals" primarily because of who drafted them.

Anyway, sounds like Orlando was looking at Bamba or Young, and I'm fine letting the draft come to them in that regard.  They're both pretty big hit or miss picks - except in almost exactly opposite ways.  But such is life when the draft lottery gods punish you for getting Shaq, Penny (via Webber), and Howard within a dozen years.  And man do the Magic really need a point.  I expect them to resign Gordon, just wondering how much it will cost in the current market.  Maybe they can trade Vucevic to save some money and find a 1 - or ideally the best perimeter scorer available - next year after sucking again.

10 hours ago, DMBouazizi said:

I feel like Robert Williams and Lonnie Walker are being touted as "steals" primarily because of who drafted them.

Anyway, sounds like Orlando was looking at Bamba or Young, and I'm fine letting the draft come to them in that regard.  They're both pretty big hit or miss picks - except in almost exactly opposite ways.  But such is life when the draft lottery gods punish you for getting Shaq, Penny (via Webber), and Howard within a dozen years.  And man do the Magic really need a point.  I expect them to resign Gordon, just wondering how much it will cost in the current market.  Maybe they can trade Vucevic to save some money and find a 1 - or ideally the best perimeter scorer available - next year after sucking again.

Williams at 27 is absolutely a steal. He's huge, strong, and a top of the heap athlete, even for the NBA. He's had some effort issues, but to get that kind of talent with the #27 pick in the draft is absurd.

Walker is more of a high risk, high reward player. He has the talent, but whether that will materialize into the skills to play is obviously a much bigger question. Williams can be a good NBA plyaer just through his sheer size and athleticism. Walker will actually have to develop skills to be a good player in the league.

My three takeaways from last night:

1. What a boring draft.

2. Idk who won the draft, but the Hawks straight up lost it. There were four guys in this draft that have obvious star potential, so if you’re drafting in the top four, you have to come away with one of them. Trading possibly the best player in the draft for someone who might not have been drafted in the top is idiotic, regardless of how protected the pick you got is.

3. The Sixers are evil! Mikal Bridges, who is from Philly and played at Villanova, was so excited to be drafted by his hometown team. Furthermore, his mom works for the team, and she was crying after they picked her son. They then immediately traded him to the Suns. That’s next level cruel.

1 minute ago, chiKanery et al. said:

3. The Sixers are evil! Mikal Bridges, who is from Philly and played at Villanova, was so excited to be drafted by his hometown team. Furthermore, his mom works for the team, and she was crying after they picked her son. They then immediately traded him to the Suns. That’s next level cruel.

Really don't get what Philly did. I guess the Process is still going on? Mikal Bridges projected as a perfect 3 and D wing that would compliment Simmons/Embiid really well probably right from the start. And could potentially become a better Robert Covington. 

Instead they immediately traded him for Zhaire Smith, another super raw, freakish athlete who is extremely limited offensively and another draft pick 3 years from now. Maybe Smith is more plug and play than I think because of his defensive abilities but just seems strange. This is probably a Conference Finals team as is, even if they don't land a big fish this offseason (which remains very possible), but they're acting like they're perpetually 5 years out. 

36 minutes ago, Jaimstoyevesky said:

Really don't get what Philly did. I guess the Process is still going on? Mikal Bridges projected as a perfect 3 and D wing that would compliment Simmons/Embiid really well probably right from the start. And could potentially become a better Robert Covington. 

Instead they immediately traded him for Zhaire Smith, another super raw, freakish athlete who is extremely limited offensively and another draft pick 3 years from now. Maybe Smith is more plug and play than I think because of his defensive abilities but just seems strange. This is probably a Conference Finals team as is, even if they don't land a big fish this offseason (which remains very possible), but they're acting like they're perpetually 5 years out. 

Yeah I completely agree. He was a perfect pick and provided exactly what they needed. Plus he isn’t 19 and is a two time champion, and was the captain on one of those teams. He’ll probably never be as good as Simmons or Embiid, but he would have provided much needed leadership. I really don’t get it.

3 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Good lord, that is just crushing a guy's hopes and dreams. Well, at least Phoenix is a nice place to live, but yeah it was completely unnecessary and bringing up a guy's hopes for nothing.

I'm super up on our (Milwaukee) pick. Divincenzo absolutely destroyed the draft combine and his 3 pt shot reminds me a lot of Klay. Love his hustle and athleticism. I know we have still have a more-pressing need to get a center better than John Henson (how is this man still starting on an NBA team? My god he is fucking horrible), but hopefully we can acquire one through free agency. We still desperately needed another solid, reliable 3 point shooter to help space around Giannis, and I think we get that with Divincenzo. 

God I hope I'm not wrong. There were a couple of other options that would have satisfied our center needs still on the board I think. Only time will tell...

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

Good lord, that is just crushing a guy's hopes and dreams. Well, at least Phoenix is a nice place to live, but yeah it was completely unnecessary and bringing up a guy's hopes for nothing.

Yeah, especially since he was a good fit. Oh well, I guess his mom is a soon-to-be former Sixers employee, and while it sucks being moved from such a good team, the Suns got a nice little team there is some of these prospects can pan out. I’m curious if they’ll be moving Bender now. They have a solid SG, two wings that can in theory play the 3 and 4, and a true center. What they need baldy is a PG, but it’s not like they had one and traded him away. Oh wait…

36 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

I'm super up on our (Milwaukee) pick. Divincenzo absolutely destroyed the draft combine and his 3 pt shot reminds me a lot of Klay. Love his hustle and athleticism. I know we have still have a more-pressing need to get a center better than John Henson (how is this man still starting on an NBA team? My god he is fucking horrible), but hopefully we can acquire one through free agency. We still desperately needed another solid, reliable 3 point shooter to help space around Giannis, and I think we get that with Divincenzo. 

God I hope I'm not wrong. There were a couple of other options that would have satisfied our center needs still on the board I think. Only time will tell...

It was a good pick. I was really hoping he fell to us at 20. Still, it sounds like we got a nice prospect. A 6’4 guard with a 7 foot wing span who can defend and shoot. I doubt he’ll ever be a star, but he might be a solid starter/role player. I’ll take that at 20.

1 hour ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Yeah, especially since he was a good fit. Oh well, I guess his mom is a soon-to-be former Sixers employee, and while it sucks being moved from such a good team, the Suns got a nice little team there is some of these prospects can pan out. I’m curious if they’ll be moving Bender now. They have a solid SG, two wings that can in theory play the 3 and 4, and a true center. What they need baldy is a PG, but it’s not like they had one and traded him away. Oh wait…

I don't understand why Sarver doesn't just sell the team, it's been a mess ever since he bought it. A couple of good years that end up going nowhere, rince repeat.

3 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Yeah I completely agree. He was a perfect pick and provided exactly what they needed. Plus he isn’t 19 and is a two time champion, and was the captain on one of those teams. He’ll probably never be as good as Simmons or Embiid, but he would have provided much needed leadership. I really don’t get it.

Maybe stockpiling another pick to flip for Kawhi?

47 minutes ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

Heh. The Ball kid didn't get drafted.

And SNL on summer break so I don't even get to see Keenan bring the moment to life.

He didn't get invited to the Lakers' summer league team either, and they let it be known that it wasn't just for basketball reasons. Translation: not worth dealing with his old man.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

He didn't get invited to the Lakers' summer league team either, and they let it be known that it wasn't just for basketball reasons. Translation: not worth dealing with his old man.

If Lavar was not a blowhard idiot, do you think LA would invite LiAngelo?

5 hours ago, sperry said:

Williams at 27 is absolutely a steal. He's huge, strong, and a top of the heap athlete, even for the NBA. He's had some effort issues, but to get that kind of talent with the #27 pick in the draft is absurd.

He's more Michael Sweetney than Clint Capela to me, but by all means don't let me stop you from finishing.  

5 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

1. What a boring draft.

You obviously are not a veteran of drafts.  This was actually on the exciting side, especially considering the talent.

5 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

his mom works for the team, and she was crying after they picked her son.

I said this already.

2 hours ago, IamMe90 said:

Divincenzo absolutely destroyed the draft

I liked how they called him the Michael Jordan of Delaware.  Sounds bout right.

1 hour ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

Heh. The Ball kid didn't get drafted.

Of course he didn't.  C'mon!

44 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

An unlikely lottery pick in 75 years isn't worth that much.

17 minutes ago, Triskjavikson said:

Ball is just not that good.  He is nowhere near his older brother and add the drama with pops plus the crap with China...but I'm not sure he would even be on anyone's radar from hoops alone were it not for older bro (and maybe younger bro too).

It's entirely about the youngest one. He's the most talented, and everyone suspects UCLA only gave this one a spot on the team to secure the youngest one. 

7 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

My three takeaways from last night:

1. What a boring draft.

2. Idk who won the draft, but the Hawks straight up lost it. There were four guys in this draft that have obvious star potential, so if you’re drafting in the top four, you have to come away with one of them. Trading possibly the best player in the draft for someone who might not have been drafted in the top is idiotic, regardless of how protected the pick you got is.

I think it feels more boring as well, to me it is because there is less interest in the top prospects *and* less interest in where they're going to.

Last year with Ball to the Lakers who just got Ingram and Fultz joining up with Ben Simmons it seemed like these were teams that could actually start making leaps and impact the competition with such new top talent guys. And to a good extend, they did.

This year the top picks seem a little less sensational and the team they are going to still look there is no turnaround coming.

Marvin Bagley looks really good, he could be a legit star, but going to Sacramento still means they are going nowhere, it feels like Demarcus Counsins redux potentially.

I'd have a little more hope for Ayton and Phoenix but still, they look set for another poor year. Dallas, the same, even with Doncic.

Archived