What If Dunstan Drumm Won The Kingsmoot?

Brandon Ice-Eyes

Let’s also pretend that Euron was never at this kingsmoot and that balon simply fell and Euron died years ago, as if he was there and Dunstan Drumm won, I have no doubt Dunstan Drumm would turn up dead soon enough. 

Now I know he was dismissed because of his long and boring speech and niggardly gifts but let’s say he gave good gifts and an inspiring speech and won the kingsmoot. What do you think he would do next - invade the north as balon did or go south to riper grapes ie, the reach and westerlands. 

7 hours ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

Let’s also pretend that Euron was never at this kingsmoot and that balon simply fell and Euron died years ago, as if he was there and Dunstan Drumm won, I have no doubt Dunstan Drumm would turn up dead soon enough. 

Now I know he was dismissed because of his long and boring speech and niggardly gifts but let’s say he gave good gifts and an inspiring speech and won the kingsmoot. What do you think he would do next - invade the north as balon did or go south to riper grapes ie, the reach and westerlands. 

What is with all the fan fic? 

Why change any of it?   If we leave Dunstan just the way he was the Kingsmoot becomes an introduction to very interesting people and a near democratic election of ruler just outside Westeros among possibly the oddest culture related to Westeros.  We know feudalism is a loser in the long run.   The Kingsmoot, Tattered Prince, Braavosi Sealord and election of the LC at the Wall are clear indicators that politics need to change.   Rule needs to change.  Would any of us have been smart enough to understand that DD was boring and cheap if we hadn't been clearly told?  

Drumm sees to have been very proud of HIS family and their achievements.  His gifts were likely from the same.  Are any riches of any family actually cheap?  Didn't Asha give trunks of pinecones?   Drumm was a neat little insight to the long held dreams and desires of the politically confused Ironborn.   For the most part I throw in with the camp that believes the Kingsmoot was simply an extension of Theon Greyjoy Stark's story, but I also think this is our 1st look at a rare sword and the real division of the people.   We know how the Kingsmoot turned out and that Drumm ultimately took up with Euron.  I know Drumm is on campaign with Euron, but be damned if I can actually find him.   Euron has already set up Harras Harlaw, his cousin, for crying out loud, to take a crashing fall.   His agent in command on the Iron Islands is a puppet.  I think it's more interesting to wonder what poison gift Euron has in mind for Drumm and his sword.   As the OP states, yes, Drumm will be killed.   It is the diabolical how of it at this point.  

4 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Why change any of it?   If we leave Dunstan just the way he was the Kingsmoot becomes an introduction to very interesting people and a near democratic election of ruler just outside Westeros among possibly the oddest culture related to Westeros.  We know feudalism is a loser in the long run.   The Kingsmoot, Tattered Prince, Braavosi Sealord and election of the LC at the Wall are clear indicators that politics need to change.   Rule needs to change.  Would any of us have been smart enough to understand that DD was boring and cheap if we hadn't been clearly told?  

Drumm sees to have been very proud of HIS family and their achievements.  His gifts were likely from the same.  Are any riches of any family actually cheap?  Didn't Asha give trunks of pinecones?   Drumm was a neat little insight to the long held dreams and desires of the politically confused Ironborn.   For the most part I throw in with the camp that believes the Kingsmoot was simply an extension of Theon Greyjoy Stark's story, but I also think this is our 1st look at a rare sword and the real division of the people.   We know how the Kingsmoot turned out and that Drumm ultimately took up with Euron.  I know Drumm is on campaign with Euron, but be damned if I can actually find him.   Euron has already set up Harras Harlaw, his cousin, for crying out loud, to take a crashing fall.   His agent in command on the Iron Islands is a puppet.  I think it's more interesting to wonder what poison gift Euron has in mind for Drumm and his sword.   As the OP states, yes, Drumm will be killed.   It is the diabolical how of it at this point.  

In addition to setting up Harras Harlaw to fail, Euron did the same for Andrik the Unsmiling - one of Drumm's three champions. I think Euron is using the same tactic with Drumm and Victarion: isolate them, and then kill them off while making it look like they were incompetent.

7 hours ago, Giant Ice Spider said:

In addition to setting up Harras Harlaw to fail, Euron did the same for Andrik the Unsmiling - one of Drumm's three champions. I think Euron is using the same tactic with Drumm and Victarion: isolate them, and then kill them off while making it look like they were incompetent.

Heck yes!  

Archived