Where did the chains come from?

Bradam

Where did the white walkers get those giant chains from? Does the Night King moonlight as a Smith?  Dosent seem like running a forge would work very well since the show even had a scene  where when the Night King approached fire it went out. 

I can't see any reason some ancient  humans or giants would have made them and just left them laying around for the walkers to find later.

My guess would be Hardhome. It was a port for deepwater vessels, so it would have had harbour chains. The White Walkers weren't in a rush, so they probably sent a few hundred wights back to Hardhome to pick up the chains and come back to drag out the dragon, which took a few weeks to a couple of months (handy because it gives the characters time to take their wight to KL and for stuff to go down there).

13 hours ago, Werthead said:

My guess would be Hardhome. It was a port for deepwater vessels, so it would have had harbour chains

Would Wildling "technology" have even advanced to build proper deep deepwater ports? 

Unless the building side was done centuries prior by Southrons or Essosi with a vested interest in trading North of the Wall. 

1 hour ago, Ser Uncle P said:

Would Wildling "technology" have even advanced to build proper deep deepwater ports? 

Certainly not, the ports from a time before the wall.

The chainmust stem fromearlier time.

But, honestly, appears a bit like a flaw in the storyline. As well as the rotten time line of Daenerys recusing the group.

It should always be remembered that the show's worldbuilding, timeline and internal consistency is rough as hell and retconned at the drop of a hat, so yeah, it's not something worth getting into a huge fuss over. Hardhome is a port which big ships can dock at - or at least get near (as we saw in S5) - so they probably have chains, heavy lifting equipment etc. It's probably the only place north of the Wall where it is feasible that they have those things. Perhaps not created by the wildlings themselves but dropped off by Free Cities or Ibbbenese traders?

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

It should always be remembered that the show's worldbuilding, timeline and internal consistency is rough as hell and retconned at the drop of a hat, so yeah, it's not something worth getting into a huge fuss over. Hardhome is a port which big ships can dock at - or at least get near (as we saw in S5) - so they probably have chains, heavy lifting equipment etc. It's probably the only place north of the Wall where it is feasible that they have those things. Perhaps not created by the wildlings themselves but dropped off by Free Cities or Ibbbenese traders?

In either book or show its the only "urban" area North of the wall so yeah, probably where they got the chains. 

• 2 weeks later...

Were they even necessary anyway?  The night king literally controls the dragons movement... Have him be acting like he did when he turned everyone at hardhome. Then swim that thing outta there and slow motion show the blue eyes as it emerges and then flies over to the NK. I guess for dragon to convert the night king needs some contact. 

The chains seem really outta place north of the wall as they have a shortage of weapons and a shortage of reasons to need those chains. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2019 at 3:48 PM, Staenerys Stargaryen said:

Were they even necessary anyway?  The night king literally controls the dragons movement... Have him be acting like he did when he turned everyone at hardhome. Then swim that thing outta there and slow motion show the blue eyes as it emerges and then flies over to the NK. I guess for dragon to convert the night king needs some contact. 

The chains seem really outta place north of the wall as they have a shortage of weapons and a shortage of reasons to need those chains. 

I suppose it's an interesting image as he has just won a major victory against Dany, the "Breaker of Chains", showing off his great coercive power etc...

Archived