US Politics: A Farewell to Arms

DMC

11 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I confess that I appear to have been totally wrong about this. I'm pretty surprised. Most everyone seems to be too, so there's that, but his polling hasn't moved appreciably at all, and it's been long enough that it should have showed up if it was going to. 

I don't know what that means - does it mean that Trump's popularity is basically set in stone, or does it mean that the general populace just doesn't care that much about Mueller and that report? 

I think this article does a fair job in explaining the possible reasons for why Trump hasn’t gotten a bump you thought would have come.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-end-of-the-mueller-probe-hasnt-been-a-game-changer-for-trump/amp/

I hope it helps. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Let's not exaggerate things.  It's an amicus brief.  And it's a great way to indicate "hey, hire me as AG."  It's "corrupt," I suppose, but that's just regular politics.

*sigh*

I know politics have always been corrupt because it's power and people are assholes. But can we at least not just roll over and accept it when it's so blatant? At least pretend to be a little outraged. Can you try for me? I know this is far from the most egregious example, but it's why non-politicians hate politics. The acceptance that the system is corrupt.

There is no reason thus far to impugn Bill Barr's integrity based on public knowledge.  You know what really sucks about politics?  Assuming your adversary isn't on the level when there's no demonstrable reason to.  That's why people get pissed at other people, in any type of relationship.  Politically, it also makes you look like an ass with the voters that matter.

42 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

The acceptance that the system is corrupt.

BTW, I put that corrupt in parentheses for a reason.  Name a realistic choice for AG Trump was going to make that was less corrupt.  Hard to do.  Acting like Barr is part of some conspiracy, rather than instead - the obvious truth - that Trump named him because he thought he'd be amenable to his position, is a pretty long stretch.  The AG has and always will be a political position.  Every president wants their guy in there to some extent, it's one of the big four.

Archived