US Politics: A Farewell to Arms

DMC

Btw, on the topic of climate change and climate change deniers.

There is one place in the world where Donald Trump believes climate change is real - Scotland.

Scotland has really been impacted by rising sea levels. One of my favorite Scottish mystery writers has a character based in Northern Scotland who constantly comments on the rising waters and the amount of flooding coastal villages are seeing.

Donald Trump owns a golf course in Scotland, and he has sued the local government, demanding that they build a wall (sound familiar?) to protect the course from rising sea levels. 

And in case you heard some of his demented ravings at yesterday’s Republican meetings, Trump really hates windmills, saying your property has dropped 75% in value if near a windmill and that windmills cause cancer. Of course, he couches those statements by saying he doesn’t know but he’s heard. The Scottish authorities allowed windmills to be built off the coast by his golf course, permission he fought tooth and nail in the courts.

I wonder if he has inflated the value of the golf course in loan applications and is talking this way to shelter himself from loan fraud allegations by saying the valuation was correct when submitted but now the value has been destroyed. The guy is crazy alright, crazy like a fox.

30 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

65 this year! *shudders*

Still makes you 6% younger than @Ormond!!!!

On the plus side, Canada is heating twice as fast as the rest of the world, so maybe you’ll live long enough to see us invaded your country for that sweet, sweet water.

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

One cannot help but note that it generally seems to be the 60 and older folks who think we need to slow down even starting to try to do anything about even stabilizing climate catastrophe -- not you, needless to say -- but so many many many others.

To be fair, anyone over 60 has seen staggering changes in technology in their lifetimes. I hear millennials, for crying out loud, reminiscing how different things were when they were kids! Many older people say ‘the scientists will fix it’. The fact that it might require their participation to effect the fix doesn’t occur to them. Why should it? They never took part in the previous, incredible changes. About the only thing the senior crowd has almost given up on is a cure for cancer in their lifetime. It will happen eventually, but cancer will kill them before it does.

I always thought breast cancer would be cured before I have to worry about it. Not sure about that now.

There are four installments up presently from the year-long NY Times investigation into the Murdoch media empire and its role in destabilizing democracy in Europe, the UK and the US.

Interviews conducted on 3 continents:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/04/03/magazine/murdoch-family-investigation.html

Part 2:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/04/03/magazine/james-murdoch-lachlan-succession.html

Part 3:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/04/03/magazine/new-fox-corporation-disney-deal.html

Part 4:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/04/03/magazine/rupert-murdoch-fox-news-trump.html

3 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

It does not appear lying about having a plan or wanting to protect pre-existing conditions is working for the R's. They have a lot of work if they are going to be the "party of healthcare."

I like how this has not been mentioned on these threads thus far.  Don't jinx it!  Trump might have a moment of clarity.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

To be fair, anyone over 60 has seen staggering changes in technology in their lifetimes.

Sure that's fair, but where are the jetpacks?!?  Instead of flying cars and vacations on the moon we got the internet.  Fuck you DARPA.

Some sleuthing from TPM Readers has confirmed that the there were a bunch of Polish nationalist rallies around the country on Sunday protesting the new Holocaust restitution legislation, Senate Bill 447.

This article at a site called polishclub.org discusses the rallies around the country. Google translate suggests the language is pretty horrendous.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/yep-there-were-a-bunch-of-rallies

5 minutes ago, Zorral said:

That TPM "article" reads like google translate fucked it up too.  I feel like there should be a job for roving internet editor, because there's plenty of examples like this where things are posted on pretty famous sites and reads like me drunk posting here at 3am.

Freshman rep Katie hill (ca district 25, mine) just drew quite the unusual republican challenger for 2020, who may be quite formidable.

heres the local (conservative) papers glowing announcement

https://signalscv.com/2019/04/republican-challenger-prepares-for-congressional-campaign/

Other than some hand waving about regulations and single payer, this republican sounds like a democrat on the issues (sort of like they are lying because republican stances they will vote for are so vile and toxic they cannot tell the truth). But mystifying that the paper doesn’t  bother mentioning what small business this small business owner does... hmmm...

in any event looks like a solid recruitment win for them.

4 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

heres the local (conservative) papers glowing announcement

From the link:

Valladares said she became interested in public affairs and governance while in high school when Vice President Al Gore spoke at a nearby school and inspired her to become a conservative.

LOL.

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

That TPM "article" reads like google translate fucked it up too.  I feel like there should be a job for roving internet editor, because there's plenty of examples like this where things are posted on pretty famous sites and reads like me drunk posting here at 3am.

Oh stop it. You posting drunk at 3 a.m. is way more coherent than that, though you do match these dudes hostility at times.

:P

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

though you do match these dudes hostility at times.

I've always thought there should be some controversy and hostility in discussion boards, really more than this site allows.  And this was before that just became a way to describe the internet and, ya know, an endemic social problem.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

I've always thought there should be some controversy and hostility in discussion boards, really more than this site allows.  And this was before that just became a way to describe the internet and, ya know, an endemic social problem.

If that’s the case, you would have had more fun here pre-Trump, but I don’t recall seeing you much until right around the tail end of the 2016 campaign.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don’t recall seeing you much until right around the tail end of the 2016 campaign.

That's cuz I wasn't.  Think I may have had a handful of posts before election day, but Trump winning was definitely the catalyst for my posting down here.  I'm sure it'll ramp up next year as well, does every (presidential) cycle at most places.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

If that’s the case, you would have had more fun here pre-Trump, but I don’t recall seeing you much until right around the tail end of the 2016 campaign.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

That's cuz I wasn't.  Think I may have had a handful of posts before election day, but Trump winning was definitely the catalyst for my posting down here.  I'm sure it'll ramp up next year as well, does every (presidential) cycle at most places.

Awwww!

@Fragile Bird look! Look!

They're BONDING! Isn't it cute!!??!!

I havent posted here much recently, but it looks like there hasnt been a post-Mueller Trump bump, Trump lied about where his father was born (such a weird thing to lie about), and seems to think the noise from wind turbines cause cancer.

In a week or so, 90% of Republicans will also think wind turbines cause cancer. If only we could use Trump's powers for good, we might be able to better educate slightly less than half the country.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Still makes you 6% younger than @Ormond!!!!

On the plus side, Canada is heating twice as fast as the rest of the world, so maybe you’ll live long enough to see us invaded your country for that sweet, sweet water.

Hey, assuming she's still 64 at the moment -- I am still 67 until July 10, which means she's 4.48% younger than me. :)

Archived