The Places You Could Travel To

Tywin et al.

On 4/19/2020 at 5:12 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

If I make it to Egypt I would visit Ramses the 2nd temples at Abu Simbel.

All the amazing sites of antiquities would be amazing to see.

Like the following which many believe inspired the Library of Alexandria:

8. The Library of Ashurbanipal

1280px-thumbnail.jpg

The Royal Library of Ashurbanipal refers to the collection of tablets and fragments containing texts from the 7th century BC. It’s named after Ashurbanipal, the last great king of the Neo-Assyrian Empire. The library’s discovery is a topic of debate but it is mainly credited to Austen H Layard. Considered the oldest surviving library, it holds around 30,000 cuneiform tablets. It holds the Epic of Gilgamesh which is now considered the oldest literary work. Archaeologists believe that Ashurbanipal’s library inspired the idea behind the Library of Alexandria and many other famous ancient libraries.

Man there’s so much amazing archeological stuff in Iraq.  The state of affairs there is really a shame for so many reasons.  Back in the aughts I spent some time on an air base in southern Iraq that was literally right next to the great ziggurat of Ur.  Part of my job was to set up some equipment each day on top of one of the hangars there.  I used to go up there in the morning and watch the sun come up and stare at that thing.  4,000 years old.  I have a lot of interest in the Sumerians and Assyrians so it was cool to just get to lay eyes on something from that time.  That’s gotta be my biggest flex for cultural/ archeological sites since it’s not in the most accessible of places.

9 hours ago, S John said:

Man there’s so much amazing archeological stuff in Iraq.  The state of affairs there is really a shame for so many reasons.  Back in the aughts I spent some time on an air base in southern Iraq that was literally right next to the great ziggurat of Ur.  Part of my job was to set up some equipment each day on top of one of the hangars there.  I used to go up there in the morning and watch the sun come up and stare at that thing.  4,000 years old.  I have a lot of interest in the Sumerians and Assyrians so it was cool to just get to lay eyes on something from that time.  That’s gotta be my biggest flex for cultural/ archeological sites since it’s not in the most accessible of places.

That's very interesting.

I just read yesterday this amazing article about Mosul. 

https://www.history.com/news/in-mosul-archaeologists-find-hidden-palace-under-shrine-destroyed-by-isis

Nineveh the ancient city that lies beneath Mosul was at one point in antiquity, the largest city in the world.

On 4/20/2020 at 8:26 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

Were you at Fayid?

Hope you made it to Alexandria and Luxor while you were there. Not just Cairo. 

No, unfortunately I did not.  I was in the general region for work and kind of squeezed it in as a side trip so I had to go with the Pyramids / Sphinx + Egyptian Museum.

On 4/21/2020 at 5:19 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

That's very interesting.

I just read yesterday this amazing article about Mosul. 

https://www.history.com/news/in-mosul-archaeologists-find-hidden-palace-under-shrine-destroyed-by-isis

Nineveh the ancient city that lies beneath Mosul was at one point in antiquity, the largest city in the world.

Very cool find and it’s great that some things of value remained there after ISIS left, but what a bummer about how it was discovered and what may have been lost forever that we’ll just never get to know about.  

^^^Like the Palace of Baal that ISIL completely bulldozed in Palmyra. That erased archaeology that was mentioned in the Old Testament. Completely wiped away because of some crazed ideology that thinks it must rewrite the historical record so that nothing can contradict its superstitions. It's just horrible.

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

^^^Like the Palace of Baal that ISIL completely bulldozed in Palmyra. That erased archaeology that was mentioned in the Old Testament. Completely wiped away because of some crazed ideology that thinks it must rewrite the historical record so that nothing can contradict its superstitions. It's just horrible.

I'm not going to look up more details because, frankly, I'm scared of what I would find, but I remember reading a number of years ago now about a senior archaeologist - from Syria (maybe) - who refused to reveal the locations of various antiquities to the evil bastards. They murdered him. 

Archived