Where is Strong Belwas from?

Falcon2909

Strong Belwas was an ex-slave, bred and trained in the fighting pits of Meereen.

- Daenerys I, A Storm of Swords.

So he is "from" Meereen, though his ancestry could be varied. In most fan art depictions of Belwas, he looks more Summer Islander than anything else, but that is fan speculation rather than something that has any evidence.

"Belwas" does not overtly sound like it fits in with any one specific culture. Not very Ghiscari like "Grazhar," "Hizdahr", "Skahaz," etc., nor especially like names in the Free Cities such as "Malaquo", "Torreo" or "Illyrio", or Summer Islander like "Xhondo," "Quhuru" or "Jalabhar."

Although some Ghiscari names sound more mundane, almost Westerosi, such as "Cleon," "Orlos", etc. Belwas could fit into that.

Certainly, he is a cultural Meereenese before anything else. Heritage-wise he could have ancestors of various ethnicities. 

Belwas is just the name his former owners gave him.  His speech pattern is unlike those from Skahaz Mo Kandaq but that may be due to his social class.  The Shavepate is considered noble and therefore educated by their standards.  Belwas was taught the fighting arts and missed out on grammar.  

23 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

He has nut-brown skin so I first thought it could be Lhazar then I thought it could be Ghiscar. Finally the Rhoynish region came to my mind.

Thoughts?

He's not Dothraki.  He made that distinction when first he met the dragon team and boasted of defeating Dothrakis in the pits of Mereen.  He has dark skin, which means he is from the southern latitudes.  The clues are still insufficient to narrow down his racial makeup.  What we know about him is interesting.  He is one skilled big boy. 

7 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

He's not Dothraki.  He made that distinction when first he met the dragon team and boasted of defeating Dothrakis in the pits of Mereen.  He has dark skin, which means he is from the southern latitudes.  The clues are still insufficient to narrow down his racial makeup.  What we know about him is interesting.  He is one skilled big boy. 

Maybe part-summer islander.  As you also said he's very skilled. I'm really happy such a distinguished fighter is a member of her queens guard. I hope he doesn't die 

1 hour ago, frenin said:

He is Robert, it is known.

it is known.

Archived