Picking Biden's Cabinet

DMC

40 minutes ago, Fez said:

I know these have been the easier lifts, but I do wonder if Jan. 6 has in fact changed the calculus for some Senate Republicans on what level of obstruction they should aim for.

I definitely think it did.  Especially with Mayorkas, who before the 6th I expected to be a party line vote (just as he was the last time).  With Yellen and Blinken, I'd bet it got them 10-15 more GOP votes at least.

Anyway, was coming here to mention Blinken's confirmation and subsequently complain about Biden.  So now that he's got 3 of the big 4 confirmed, this really highlights how stupid it was to delay the impeachment trial.  Other than AG, Homeland, and HHS, the rest of the confirmations really could have waited - and even with AG and HHS they're in perfectly fine and capable hands with the acting heads.

45 minutes ago, DMC said:

Anyway, was coming here to mention Blinken's confirmation and subsequently complain about Biden.  So now that he's got 3 of the big 4 confirmed, this really highlights how stupid it was to delay the impeachment trial.  Other than AG, Homeland, and HHS, the rest of the confirmations really could have waited - and even with AG and HHS they're in perfectly fine and capable hands with the acting heads.

I tend to agree that the impeachment trial should've been immediate, but, to be fair I suppose, the delay wasn't just about the cabinet. It seems like they're going to try to get COVID relief in beforehand as well.

Just now, Fez said:

It seems like they're going to try to get COVID relief in beforehand as well.

That's true, that does seem to be what they want.  I just think that hope is, again, really really stupid.  (At least getting the $1.9 trillion proposal passed, that is - if they just did the checks/vaccine thing that would be a good reason.)  Be incredibly happy to eat my words on that if they do get it passed.

3 minutes ago, SFDanny said:

I wonder why she's not listed in the tracker?

It's weird.  I think because there hasn't been any official announcement yet.  But even still, it seems to be known but not picked up widely for whatever reason.  All I can find on a basic search is this Bloomberg post, and then this tidbit from HuffPo (in an article about Biden's appointments):

“We’ve been really pleased,” Congressional Progressive Caucus Chair Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.) said on a conference call with reporters this week, citing the nominations of Chopra and California Labor Secretary Julie Su to be deputy labor secretary on the federal level. “There are just some great, great hires across the board that we’re very excited about.” 

If Jayapal is going on the record citing it, seems safe to assume it's a done deal.  Maybe the explanation is simply just something like this:

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

It's weird.  I think because there hasn't been any official announcement yet.  But even still, it seems to be known but not picked up widely for whatever reason.  All I can find on a basic search is this Bloomberg post, and then this tidbit from HuffPo (in an article about Biden's appointments):

If Jayapal is going on the record citing it, seems safe to assume it's a done deal.  Maybe the explanation is simply just something like this:

I agree it is likely it is just waiting for the official word, but I'm worried that the California EDD scandal could be effecting the delay. I shouldn't get paranoid, and I'm not listening to Toby or Josh.

1 minute ago, SFDanny said:

I'm worried that the California EDD scandal could be effecting the delay. I shouldn't get paranoid, and I'm not listening to Toby or Josh.

Eh, that's not too paranoid, sounds plausible that may be affecting things.  And of course you don't listen to Toby or Josh, you listen to Leo!

Buttigieg confirmed 86-13; which is actually the worst showing ever for a Transportation Secretary I believe.

Seems like its time for some traffic problems in Alabama and Florida.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Buttigieg confirmed 86-13; which is actually the worst showing ever for a Transportation Secretary I believe.

The voting behavior of Blackburn, Hagerty, Marshall, and Tuberville (and of course Hawley and Rick Scott) on confirmation votes is a clear demonstration of the Trump era's impact on the GOP.  Braun, Cramer, and Loomis also voted against Blinken, while Braun voted against Haines and Cramer voted against Yellen.  Other than Romney, the only GOP Senator elected during the Trump era that's voted for all five nominees is, weirdly, Cindy Hyde-Smith.

So there does seem to be some movement on confirmations lately.  Vilsack and Granholm have both advanced out of committee, and Cardona apparently had a great hearing today.  With Burr's support, he should be able to be confirmed promptly.  Michael Regan also had a hearing today, and Marty Walsh's is tomorrow.  It'd be nice if they could get some or most of those confirmed by Friday to make the impeachment delay somewhat worth it. 

OTOH, there still is significant pushback with Becerra, Fudge, and Haaland (hm..what do those three have in common??), and Garland's progress is being held up (albeit somewhat understandably considering how late he was nominated).

Two new sub-cabinet announcements, one of which we have talked about before, and which I'm very happy to see be made official. Julie Su is finally announced.

Wednesday, Feb. 10
  • Deputy secretary, Department of Energy
    David Turk was announced.Read more
  • Deputy secretary, Department of Labor
    Julie Su was announced.

tracker

While not a cabinet post, I'll put this here based on the hypothesis SFDanny is probably the only one interested - Biden considering Lisa Cook for open Fed seat:

President Biden is considering nominating Lisa Cook, an economist at Michigan State University, to fill an open seat on the Federal Reserve Board, people familiar with the matter tell Axios.

Why it matters: The appointment would be historic, since Cook would be the first Black woman to join the Fed. It also would reveal the new president's preferences for monetary policy and how he may reconstitute the Fed, including the chairmanship.

Chairman Jerome Powell’s term is up in February 2022, but presidents typically announce a replacement, or whether to renominate the chair, the summer before the expiration. That would be this summer — plenty of time for the financial markets to adjust to the change. [...]

Cook’s academic writing suggests she is a dove, meaning she’s less concerned about inflation and more focused on improving labor market conditions.

She's also written about the broader effects of racial bias and how “discrimination inflicts a staggering cost on the entire economy.”

Archived