Picking Biden's Cabinet

DMC

Looking at the Board of Governors, Biden is in a position/has the opportunity to fill the one vacant seat, replace Richard Clarida both as Vice Chair and just as a governor, replace Randy Quarles as Vice Chair for Supervision, and replace Powell as Chair - all before the midterms (albeit Clarida's term as vice chair is cutting it really close). 

Powell's term as governor doesn't expire until 2028, but only two Fed Chairs have stayed on the board after their tenure as chair, and the last one was during the Truman administration.  Assuming Powell vacates his seat, Biden could get a 4-3 majority on the board with all three top positions as Dems by the midterms.  That's a good goal to set.

Manchin has said he's going to vote against Neera Tanden, citing her tweets...

I suspect she was going to be a party-line vote and this sinks her nomination. On other hand, I wouldn't entirely rule out the chances that Romney and Collins vote her, on the principle that the President should have the cabinet that s/he wants. So far Romney has voted for every Biden nomination.

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

I suspect she was going to be a party-line vote and this sinks her nomination.

LOL, you :ph34r:'ed me in another thread!  As I said, I wouldn't be surprised if she got a handful of GOP votes based on the voting behavior thus far.  Although with McConnell now smelling blood in the water who knows.  Based on their long term behavior on confirmation votes I'd still expect Collins and Murkowski as yay votes, and probably Romney as well yeah.

I don't have an opinion on the tweeting issue (haven't seen many of them), but it's fascinating that Manchin minds mean tweets against Republicans - and no word about equally mean tweets against parts of his own party. (I mean, that Republican senator who totally didn't call Bernie an ignorant you-know-what said so!) Priorities, I guess.

If it's so important to him... Could they offer him Tanden's head in exchange for the minimum wage, or maybe modifying the filibuster?

• 2 weeks later...

Today the Senate Judiciary Committee voted Merrick Garland's nomination out favorably, so he just is waiting for the final confirmation vote before the whole Senate. That's all well and good, although too long in getting to this stage, but it also now makes SEVEN cabinet nominees that have reached this stage and no action has been taken for a final vote. Does anyone know what the hell is the hold up? Garland, Fudge, Rouse, Cardona, Walsh, Raimondo, and Regan all are sitting and waiting for this final vote. What is the fucking hold up? I understand the impeachment trial took up time, but some of these folks have been waiting for a week or more for a vote.

I guess I just need to complain a little more. Miguel Cardona was just confirmed. Make it six ready for a final vote.

edit: I left out Isabel Guzman, as Small Business Administrator,  who is also ready for a final vote. Back up to seven a step away from confirmation.

53 minutes ago, SFDanny said:

Today the Senate Judiciary Committee voted Merrick Garland's nomination out favorably, so he just is waiting for the final confirmation vote before the whole Senate. That's all well and good, although too long in getting to this stage, but it also now makes SEVEN cabinet nominees that have reached this stage and no action has been taken for a final vote. Does anyone know what the hell is the hold up? Garland, Fudge, Rouse, Cardona, Walsh, Raimondo, and Regan all are sitting and waiting for this final vote. What is the fucking hold up? I understand the impeachment trial took up time, but some of these folks have been waiting for a week or more for a vote.

Final votes take floor time, and floor time is both limited in quantity and used up quickly. The impeachment vote was February 13. The week after that was a recess. Senate staff was still very busy, and some senators were busy too doing committee hearings (and Schumer, Sanders, and a few others were very busy getting ready for the COVID bill), but there's no floor votes during recess. The following week (which is last week) the senate was in session, but in ordinary weeks, the legislative days are Monday through Thursday. There were 3 nominees confirmed that week: Vilsack, Thomas-Greenfield, and Granholm. And cloture was invoked on Cardona.

The problem is that once cloture for a cabinet position is invoked, it can be up to 30 hours before the final confirmation vote occurs; depending on how many senators want to delay things (each senator can get up to an hour, with an overall max of 30). And during that post-cloture time, nothing else can be considered on the senate floor. The senate moves extremely slowly unless both sides agree to speed things up. And things could be going far slower than they are, since Republicans aren't using the full 30 hours in most cases.

Interesting side note: The 30 hour rule used to apply to all executive nominations, and judicial ones too; and Democrats used all 30 hours routinely to delay Trump nominations. Eventually McConnell went nuclear and changed the rules to 2 hours of post-cloture time for sub-cabinet positions. He wanted to do cabinet positions too, but Collins and Lee voted against him. If Republicans dragged out the full 30 hours for the whole cabinet, I think Schumer could probably get Manchin and Sinema on board with that particular change. But they aren't, it's usually been about half that; and sometimes just a few hours.

8 minutes ago, Fez said:

Final votes take floor time, and floor time is both limited in quantity and used up quickly.

Thank you, @Fez for the explanation of the reasons for the slowdown. If I wasn't so lazy I could have looked most of that up myself, but thank you for taking the time to help out and educate me. I mean that truly. Thank you.

16 hours ago, SFDanny said:

I guess I just need to complain a little more. Miguel Cardona was just confirmed. Make it six ready for a final vote.

Raimondo's vote is scheduled for 2:15 today.  Of the "Cabinet proper," that'll leave Garland, Haaland, Becerra, Walsh, and Fudge.  Garland's delay is at least in part due to how late he was nominated.  Haaland and Becerra have rather entrenched/unified GOP opposition.  Fudge may too.  

One thing I'll note on top of Fez's explanation is McConnell's rule change from 30 to 2 hours also applies to "Cabinet-level" appointees - it's just the 15 "Cabinet proper" posts that retain the 30 hour rule.  So, hopefully that will speed things up soon.

52 minutes ago, DMC said:

Also, guess I'll put this here, Murkowski is still mum on how she'll vote on Tanden after meeting with her yesterday.  Probably means nothing, but kinda weird she hasn't took a position yet.  What's your angle Lisa?!? 

Well, if you consider John Thune a reliable source, it sounds like she's looking to see if she can get a payout:

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Well, if you consider John Thune a reliable source, it sounds like she's looking to see if she can get a payout:

Yeah that's exactly what I'm worried about.  I wouldn't trade any significant change in Alaskan-related energy policy just to install Tanden at OMB.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah that's exactly what I'm worried about.  I wouldn't trade any significant change in Alaskan-related energy policy just to install Tanden at OMB.

Hopefully Klain et al are just being polite and listening because Murkowski is an important vote on other issues, and aren't seriously considering anything. It's not like Tanden has some sort Mike Trout-esque WAR; lots of very capable folks can do the job.

13 minutes ago, Fez said:

It's not like Tanden has some sort Mike Trout-esque WAR; lots of very capable folks can do the job.

She's maybe 1 to 2 WAR tops.  Like a good relief pitcher or Brett Gardner.

7 hours ago, DMC said:

Raimondo's vote is scheduled for 2:15 today.  Of the "Cabinet proper," that'll leave Garland, Haaland, Becerra, Walsh, and Fudge.  Garland's delay is at least in part due to how late he was nominated.  Haaland and Becerra have rather entrenched/unified GOP opposition.  Fudge may too.  

One thing I'll note on top of Fez's explanation is McConnell's rule change from 30 to 2 hours also applies to "Cabinet-level" appointees - it's just the 15 "Cabinet proper" posts that retain the 30 hour rule.  So, hopefully that will speed things up soon.

Yes, as you say Raimondo is now confirmed as Secretary of Commerce. Garland's nomination was later than most, but the "in part" qualification you note leaves out the rather large "other part" for the delay of his confirmation. That being partisan maneuvering to push back hearings - all of which I know you are well aware. Becerra and Haaland, last I knew have yet to have received a favorable recommendation out of committee. I do think both will likely get it, but I doubt we will see them through to confirmation this week. Walsh, Fudge, Regan, Guzman, and Rouse could be any time now. When Garland was voted favorably out, word was that a final vote could happen this week. Haaland, Becerra, and Lander seem likely to be have to wait to next week at least. I have no idea how the vote on the COVID Recovery Act will delay any of this, but it is obviously priority one.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

She's maybe 1 to 2 WAR tops.  Like a good relief pitcher or Brett Gardner.

She's an old school clutch hitter who drives in a lot of runs. Tony Perez like.

An observation to drive any baseball nerds mad.

8 minutes ago, SFDanny said:

Walsh, Fudge, Regan, Guzman, and Rouse could be any time now.

Rouse also reached cloture today - in a 94-5 vote at that.

5 minutes ago, SFDanny said:

She's an old school clutch hitter who drives in a lot of runs. Tony Perez like.

An observation to drive any baseball nerds mad.

"Clutch hitter" and invoking RBIs.  Very nice trolling of baseball nerds.

Archived