The mystery of Bonifer Hasty - holder of Harrenhall - and why he will be one of Dany's key allies

Sandy Clegg

Quick intro to this minor character some might not be aware of ...

We are introduced to Ser Bonifer Hasty through Jaime's chapters in AFFC. A landed knight who has connections to Orten (and his grandsire Owen) Merryweather, the Hand of King Tommen, Bonifer is currently Castellan of Harrenhall, serving in Petyr Baelish's stead. He is a pious man who commands the "Holy 100" and looks to be a key player going forwards in the Riverlands plot threads. Mysteriously, Jaime remarks that he had not always been so pious, and that 'something' happened in his past to turn him so ...

As I've become very interested in this character, for reasons I will outline below, I was reading this thread: 

Since it's been archived I could no longer reply, so consider this an informal continuation if you will :read:

Many good arguments were made therein as to whether Hasty will support either Young Griff or Daenerys in the presumed upcoming war for Westeros. I recommend giving the thread a read as it makes good points either way. It seems Hasty is a man of faith, which could align him with the holy warriors of the Seven.

However, he has clear Daenerys links provided by GRRM in the form of some undeniably strong symbolism. Whether these point to his future loyalties, or a deeper connection (he was besotted with Dany's mother once) cannot be determined, but I thought I would at least lay out GRRM's clues connecting the two, and let people decide for themselves. I made my own opinions clear in a previous thread about Alleras and the 3 apples, but I am open to other interpretations as this rabbit hole may go deeper than I once thought.

Clue 1. Visual mirroring.

OK, your mileage may vary when it comes to symbolism, but keep an open mind as it is pretty much GRRM's stock in trade. 

Firstly, Bonifer Hasty's house colours are identical to the colours worn by Dany in her 'regal attire':

Danaerys VI (ASOS):-  “Jhiqui helped Missandei bathe her while Irri was laying out her clothes. Today she wore a robe of purple samite and a silver sash, and on her head the three-headed dragon crown the Tourmaline Brotherhood had given her in Qarth. Her slippers were silver as well, with heels so high that she was always half afraid she was about to topple over.”

Compare this with Jaime's observation of Hasty's colours in AFFC:

He took his own supper in Hunter's Hall with Ser Bonifer Hasty, a solemn stork of a man prone to salting his speech with appeals to the Seven. "I want none of Ser Gregor's followers," he declared as he was cutting up a pear as withered as he was, so as to make certain that its nonexistent juice did not stain his pristine purple doublet, embroidered with the white bend cotised of his House. - Jaime III

We can see House Hasty's colours here: https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Bonifer_Hasty

Purple background, with a diagonal white streak (sash of silver). No other house of Westeros comes close, save that of House Dayne.

We can also see that GRRM has taken pains to have Jaime compare Bonifer to that famously lanky bird, the stork, which mirrors Dany about to 'topple over' due to her high heels. GRRM does like his animal metaphors.

Bonifer is also seen eating a withered pear. We only meet him briefly, and this is the only thing we see him eat. Then in Dany's chapter subsequent to this (ADWD, Dany I) we get this scene:

Viserion's tail lashed sideways, thumping the trunk of the tree so hard that a pear came tumbling down to land at Dany's feet. 

Little Visy there trying to serve up a clue straight at his mother's feet! So we have heraldry, animals, and food imagery. A veritable signature dish of GRRM symbolism.

Clue 2.  Their troops.

Rather than 10,00 Unsullied, Dany is given 8,600. Out of the original 'Holy 100' of Hasty's soldiers, Jaime notes that only 86 remain:

He was sober, just, and dutiful, and his Holy Eighty-Six were as well disciplined as any soldiers in the Seven Kingdoms. - AFFC, Jaime III

What's more, Dany's Unsullied are literal eunuchs, having been gelded (castrated) as boys. Compare this with Jaime's musings on Bonifer's men:

"... Littlefinger had once quipped that Ser Bonifer must have gelded the riders too, so spotless was their repute”. - Jaime III

So they both have a holy host at their command, albeit Bonifer's is on a much smaller scale. Credit for this must go to this post, by the way:

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2h9cth/spoilers_all_the_queen_of_love_and_beauty_the/

Clue 3. Their morality.

They each have a strong sense of justice, reward those loyal to them yet appreciate the need for punishment where necessary. Bonifer makes this offer to men who choose to serve under him:

Ser Bonifer raised a gloved hand. "Any man who remains with me shall have a hide of land to work, a second hide when he takes a wife, a third at the birth of his first child."

A stern man, he is nevertheless aware (or at least says he is) of the need to protect the common people, something he and Dany certainly share:

Together we three shall hunt down and destroy whatever outlaws prowl these parts. Once that is done, the Seven will guide the goodfolk back to their villages to plow and plant and build anew."

He is no bloodthirsty monster, though. When Jaime asks Hasty to send him any of the Brave Companions found alive, we get this retort from the latter:

"So you can torture and kill them?"
"I suppose you would forgive them, in my place?"
"If they made sincere repentance for their sins . . . yes, I would embrace them all as brothers and pray with them before I sent them to the block. Sins may be forgiven. Crimes require punishment." Hasty folded his hands before him like a steeple, in a way that reminded Jaime uncomfortably of his father. 

Dany is struggling with her own 'Crime and Punishment' issues as ruler of Meereen, but her POV chapters show that she does strive to see justice done, no matter the cost.

Clue 4. Barristan's testimony.

In ADWD, Dany asks Barristan who her mother would have chosen, if she could have loved 'freely'. Barristan recounts the tale of a young landed knight who crowned Rhaella queen of love and beauty at a tourney once, before she was wed to Aerys. He chooses his words carefully, we are told ....

"What happened to this knight?"
"He put away his lance the day your lady mother wed your father. Afterward he became most pious, and was heard to say that only the Maiden could replace Queen Rhaella in his heart. His passion was impossible, of course. A landed knight is no fit consort for a princess of royal blood."

This puts the knight's identity as Bonifer Hasty. Indeed, The World of Ice and Fire confirms him as such, and seals the connection.

Conclusion

Now I am aware that symbolism is a double-edged sword. We could equally see Jaime's description of Bonifer as 'Baelor's Butthole' to be evocative of Rhaegar - another Baelor-like figure. Or we could look at Bonifer's dismissal of the poor girl Pia, brutalised by Ser Gregor, as 'the whore', Could this be reminiscent of Dany's other brother Viserys? Personally, I think Pia serves as an unwelcome reminder of ghosts from Bonifer's past, but we need TWOW to come out before this can be explored further. However, I think GRRM has laid more than enough breadcrumbs for us to be sure that these are no mere coincidences. Bonifer and Dany are inextricably linked, be it symbolically or otherwise.

So, in four pages of one Jaime chapter we are introduced to a potential major player in future books. He holds Harrenhall - this is no small role. And with the connections to Daenerys, and her imminent (we hope) arrival in Westeros, we may be seeing GRRM lay the foreshadowing for one of her key future allies. He may start out on her opposing side then switch, or perhaps he will play his cards closer to his chest. But he will not, ultimately, be any friend to Aegon.

2 hours ago, Kalikrates said:

The Prince Who Was Promised  must have both Targaryen parents. That is why the family sacrificed love for generations to make her birth happen. 

Well,  yes - on this forum I've seen arguments for both interpretations. But I think Rhaegar, at least, would disagree - he goes out of his way to make sure that one 'head of the dragon' at least contains the blood of the Starks (Lyanna). In fact, my previous post about Alleras makes the claim that three 'sphinxes' - children of mixed blood - need to be the three heads of the dragon, which dscounts any 'pure' Targaryen descendent, Blackfyre or otherwise.

Aegon V (Egg) was certainly convinced of the folly of Targaryen in-breeding:

It had long been the custom of House Targaryen to wed brother to sister to keep the blood of the dragon pure, but for whatever cause, Aegon V had become convinced that such incestuous unions did more harm than good. Instead he resolved to join his children in marriage with the sons and daughters of some of the greatest lords of the Seven Kingdoms, in the hopes of winning their support for his reforms and strengthening his rule. (TWOIAF)

I'm looking into making a more thorough post soon about these three 'sphinxes'.

3 hours ago, Kalikrates said:

The Prince Who Was Promised  must have both Targaryen parents. That is why the family sacrificed love for generations to make her birth happen.

I thought you were talking specifically about her dragon riding ability in the previous post, which is why I thought that just having one Targaryen parent would be sufficient.

No he's a religious zealot of the Faith of the Seven and Dany's bringing a foreign horde of heretics to roll Westeros. Even if his own faith proves to be so false the religious zealots he leads are not going to all of a sudden change their whole life's perspective to follow the daughter of their leader's crush. The best he could do is give her Harrenhal by deception and imprison his own men.

Bonnifer will stand against Dany. The numbering is relevant, at first GRRM likely intended the Unsullied to go up against the Holy Hundred at Harrenhal, and so the numbering is a nod to this.

Tyrion had no more than three hundred. Soon enough, he must test the truth of another of his father's sayings: One man on a wall was worth ten beneath it.

and

"No wall can keep you safe," his father had told him once, as they walked the walls of Winterfall. "A wall is only as strong as the men who defend it." The wildlings might have a hundred and twenty men, but four defenders would be enough to see them off, with a few well-placed arrows and perhaps a pail of stones.

The Holy Hundred are going to hold out an ungodly amount of time. It won't be the Unsullied they'll be up against though, I suggest GRRM created Benerro's Fiery Hand to take what was originally intended to be the Usullied's place in this. The religious zealots of Benerro and Bonifer will get to test each other's wills in battle.

The series will explore the dark depths of religious fanaticism and Bonifer is poised to become the violent sword arm of the Faith. He's probably going to commit extreme murderous religious persecution, plain torturous massacres and believe it's just and godly.

Tyrion will ride Viserion and Viserion knocking the pear to Dany's feet may symbolise Tyrion defeating and bringing Bonifer to kneel before Dany. A likely meeting as Bonifer who knew her mother better than anyone will probably tell her something like he's glad her mother died rather than see what her daughter has become.

The whole thing is a lesson in being aware of trying not to cultivate extremists, even those that are for you, because they're also potentially your most dedicated enemy should they turn. The strongest love becomes the most bitter hatred. And there's going to be a lot of people turning on Dany.

5 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

No he's a religious zealot of the Faith of the Seven and Dany's bringing a foreign horde of heretics to roll Westeros. Even if his own faith proves to be so false the religious zealots he leads are not going to all of a sudden change their whole life's perspective to follow the daughter of their leader's crush. The best he could do is give her Harrenhal by deception and imprison his own men.

Bonnifer will stand against Dany. The numbering is relevant, at first GRRM likely intended the Unsullied to go up against the Holy Hundred at Harrenhal, and so the numbering is a nod to this.

and

The Holy Hundred are going to hold out an ungodly amount of time. It won't be the Unsullied they'll be up against though, I suggest GRRM created Benerro's Fiery Hand to take what was originally intended to be the Usullied's place in this. The religious zealots of Benerro and Bonifer will get to test each other's wills in battle.

The series will explore the dark depths of religious fanaticism and Bonifer is poised to become the violent sword arm of the Faith. He's probably going to commit extreme murderous religious persecution, plain torturous massacres and believe it's just and godly.

Tyrion will ride Viserion and Viserion knocking the pear to Dany's feet may symbolise Tyrion defeating and bringing Bonifer to kneel before Dany. A likely meeting as Bonifer who knew her mother better than anyone will probably tell her something like he's glad her mother died rather than see what her daughter has become.

The whole thing is a lesson in being aware of trying not to cultivate extremists, even those that are for you, because they're also potentially your most dedicated enemy should they turn. The strongest love becomes the most bitter hatred. And there's going to be a lot of people turning on Dany.

I might accept an interpretation that suggests Bonifer is a smaller-scale 'mirror' of Dany, considering all the similarities I have shown and you have ignored. Perhaps, his fate in the Riverlands may foreshadow Dany's fate, or even serve as a lesson in the mistakes Dany needs to avoid? But their imagery is too close for them to be in future opposition to each other: he is in some ways 'Dany writ small' (fewer numbers of troops, his pear is withered compared to hers straight from the tree). That's the one interpretation I would be inclined to discard.  

As to the speculation about religious persecution, Jaime's chapters have already shown Bonifer to be even-handed in his approach thus far. Jaime weighs up Bonifer's credentials and errs on the side of cautious optimism:

Jaime could not be certain who had convinced his sister that Ser Bonifer should be named castellan of Harrenhal, but the appointment smelled of Orton Merryweather. Hasty had once served Merryweather's grandsire, he seemed to recall dimly. And the carrot-haired justiciar was just the sort of simpleminded fool to assume that someone called "the Good" was the very potion the riverlands required to heal the wounds left by Roose Bolton, Vargo Hoat, and Gregor Clegane.

But he might not be wrong. Hasty hailed from the stormlands, so had neither friends nor foes along the Trident; no blood feuds, no debts to pay, no cronies to reward. He was sober, just, and dutiful, and his Holy Eighty-Six were as well disciplined as any soldiers in the Seven Kingdoms, and made a lovely sight as they wheeled and pranced their tall grey geldings. Littlefinger had once quipped that Ser Bonifer must have gelded the riders too, so spotless was their repute.

All the same, Jaime wondered about any soldiers who were better known for their lovely horses than for the foes they'd slain. They pray well, I suppose, but can they fight? They had not disgraced themselves on the Blackwater, so far as he knew, but they had not distinguished themselves either. Ser Bonifer himself had been a promising knight in his youth, but something had happened to him, a defeat or a disgrace or a near brush with death, and afterward he had decided that jousting was an empty vanity and put away his lance for good and all. - Jaime III, AFFC

I would read this as GRRM perhaps putting a 'placeholder' marker on Ser Bonifer. He could lean more into religious persecution, yes. Or he might just be the steady hand that the chaotic Riverlands needs. We've seen GRRM portray the fanaticism of religion, as we have seen him portray its more positive aspects (on the Quiet Isle for example). So which way he intends to take Bonifer is still up in the air, I'd say. Either way, this is precisely the kind of battle that Dany herself is facing in Meereen. 

28 minutes ago, Kalikrates said:

I meant she is Azor Ahai and the promised princess. 

The prophecy does state that the Prince(ss) who is promised will come from the line of Aerys and Rhaella. Whether that means the literal line as in their child, or by actions resulting from their union and so not necessary a descendant of both...it could be possible for Bonifer to be the father and for Daenerys to still be the Princess that was Promised. There are multiple candidates.

9 hours ago, Sandy Clegg said:

I might accept an interpretation that suggests Bonifer is a smaller-scale 'mirror' of Dany, considering all the similarities I have shown and you have ignored.

Dany and Hasty are associated and that there is connecting symbolism is not surprising, that he must be her ally does not naturally follow and you've not made any kind of cohesive argument for that to be the case. There is symbolism between thematic enemies throughout the text. The stork symbolism is a big nothing though.

I am not decided on Ser Bonifer's future role and what connection he might have to Dany. I do not think he fathered her though. For those of you who enjoy wordplay, "bonfire" is an anagram of Bonifer, making him a "hasty bonfire." Aegon I bathed Harrenhal in dragonfire, turning it into a pyre for those inside. Perhaps the allusion to a hasty bonfire indicates that the castle needs another symbolic cleansing by fire (on account of all the atrocities planned and committed there during the War of the Five Kings), which Ser Bonifer is suited to take care off because of his faith.  

On 9/15/2022 at 8:38 AM, Sandy Clegg said:

I might accept an interpretation that suggests Bonifer is a smaller-scale 'mirror' of Dany, . . . their imagery is too close for them to be in future opposition to each other: he is in some ways 'Dany writ small' (fewer numbers of troops, his pear is withered compared to hers straight from the tree). 

You've done a great job of spotting the evidence and describing it. Hasty is the kind of "minor" character that GRRM uses to provide clues about motifs and linked characters. His symbolism is so wide and deep, however, that I'm not ready to say that all roads lead to Dany.

We know that Dany is anxious to find a red door and a lemon tree. Sansa loves lemon cakes. So they each have lemon symbols. I don't think this means they will become allies, but I do think the author is telling us that there is a shared quality in lemons that is common to the characters. 

You are right to notice Hasty eating a pear. The other significant pear-eating scene is Sansa / Alayne's first breakfast with Petyr Baelish. Hasty's pear is withered (nice catch by you) and Sansa's pear is juicy. I do think this kind of symbolism shows an older generation passing along life and power to the next generation. Hasty isn't having breakfast with Sansa, but there is a Baelor Butthole / Baelish shared symbolism, perhaps telling us that Hasty is a father figure like Alayne's pretend father. 

I do think the purple/white sigil is significant (as are all sigils and their colors). But that is only one of Dany's many outfits. Granted, it is what she wears to ascend to her royal seat. To pin down the meaning, it might be helpful to look at other places where purple is used: Arya hangs around a lot in the Purple Harbor, for instance. I believe Purple Harbor is for elite people and boats, and that she kills the moneylender (insurance agent?) there with her poisoned coin. There is also a complicated bit of symbolism around a performing seal and an assistant with an injured hand. I think this may represent a royal seal and the theft of "purses" alludes to a usurper. Anyway. I've been looking to Purple Harbor to try to understand purple, but I'm sure there's much more to it. (Also, House Mallister is indigo and argent - argent represents either silver or white in heraldry, from what I gather. So the indigo isn't quite the same as purple, but could be a hint for us.)

I do believe that Ser Bonifer was the sperm source for Rhaegar. If Young Griff / Aegon is truly Rhaegar's son, this might mean  that Ser Bonifer would want to support Aegon's claim to the throne over Dany's claim. My guess is that we will see Dany and Aegon join in romance in one or both of the last two books. This would also fill the prediction for joining of the lines of Aerys and Rhaella. But it might be that the griffin symbolism is the key: eagle, lion and scorpion all in one beast. Jon Snow was attacked by an eagle, Dany was almost stung by a manticore and the Lannister lion symbolism could mean a lot of things. Creating and then killing the griffin might be the arc that lies in store for Aegon.

To me, many of the symbols surrounding Ser Bonifer reinforce his role as The Father of the new gods. Jaime says he reminds him of Tywin and he nicknames him Baelor Butthole. Throughout ASOIAF, Tywin, Jaime and Tyrion are closely associated with piss and shit - Jaime has shit for honor, Tywin shits gold, Tyrion cleans the sewers at Casterly Rock and he is constantly peeing. So Jaime's nickname sounds like an insult but it might be a way of saying that Ser Bonifer is like a Lannister man. 

If Ser Bonifer is a symbolic Tywin, this would create the kind of ironic symmetry that I believe GRRM likes. This symbolic Tywin may be the father of Rhaegar and this forum loves to debate whether Aerys might be the father of Jaime and Cersei and whether Tyrion is a chimera with both Tywin and Aerys for a father. 

Ser Bonifer as a symbol for The Father would also explain why he is in charge of Harrenhal. Petyr Baelish is playing Sansa's father and he is the "true" Lord of Harrenhal. Tywin wanted a worthy ally in charge of Harrenhal, not Janos Slynt. Although Bonifer is just a castellan, he is part of the group of father figures that seem to cluster together in different ways (Bael symbolism, dispensing justice, fathering highborn children). 

I'm sure there are many other symbols we haven't discussed in depth - the gelded "wheeling" horses, gloved hands, the Merryweather connection. He has "carrot" hair, and that is both a "kissed by fire" symbol and a root vegetable symbol. As Evolett points out, his family name may imply a bonfire, which would be a great source of energy for Targaryens. Maybe his "kiss" for Rhaella helped to put a spark back in he family's DNA.

6 hours ago, Seams said:

I do think the purple/white sigil is significant (as are all sigils and their colors). But that is only one of Dany's many outfits. Granted, it is what she wears to ascend to her royal seat. To pin down the meaning, it might be helpful to look at other places where purple is used:

Well, yes she has many outfits but I would argue that purple has become her signature theme by now. Her 'throne room' in Meereen where she receives visitors has purple pillars, not to mention a purple floor:

I am queen over a city built on dust and death. Dany had no choice but to deny him. She had declared a blanket pardon for all crimes committed during the sack. Nor would she punish slaves for rising up against their masters.
When she told him, the boy rushed at her, but his feet tangled in his tokar and he went sprawling headlong on the purple marble. - ADWD, Daenerys I

... a grey tokar no less, with white fringes, strewn against a purple background. So another near-exact replica of Bonifer's House motif. 

Also, just before this scene we get a reminder of how her situation mirrors that of Bonifer's in Harrenhall:

I am queen over a city built on dust and death. Dany had no choice but to deny him. She had declared a blanket pardon for all crimes committed during the sack. Nor would she punish slaves for rising up against their masters.

Again, the focus on the hard choices that have to be made regarding pardoning the guilty and the restraint that needs to be shown in punishment, as we have seen Bonifer comment on to Jaime.

Meereen proves to be a thorny problem for Dany. It is something of a cursed prize in her conquest. Harrenhall, too, is a famously 'cursed' location. From the wiki:

Since Aegon's Conquest, the castle has become a white elephant. It is too big to garrison effectively and too expensive to maintain.[20]Harren allegedly mixed human blood into the mortar for the stonework;[17] some believe that the castle is cursed and haunted due to Harren's hubris and the horrors that have occurred within the castle's walls, with the early deaths of its many rulers as proof.[19] The curse is thought to prevent any lord from holding Harrenhal indefinitely.

Bonifer is also merely 'temporary' custodian of Harrenhall (until Littlefinger decides to take up his lordship there). And Meereen will soon become 'haunted' by the Sons of the Harpy. Could this foreshadow the likely event that Dany will not long remain in Meereen? 

7 hours ago, Seams said:

I do believe that Ser Bonifer was the sperm source for Rhaegar. If Young Griff / Aegon is truly Rhaegar's son, this might mean  that Ser Bonifer would want to support Aegon's claim to the throne over Dany's claim.

Could be, could be. He is in place, timeline-wise, to be the father of either Rhaegar or Dany. There really isn't enough textual evidence either way yet.

Archived