Could there be a second land bridge in the Land of Always Winter?

_Bittersteel_

xaosx    Mr Martin, why does Westeros seem the only place effected by the Others and the long winters? The other parts of the world seem not to care.
George_RR_Martin     Westeros is not the only place affected, but it's affected most strongly, because it's the only landmass that extends that far north. The other continent is bounded to the north by an icy polar sea.
https://archive.is/St3S6

______

[Are the seasons irregular only in Westeros or also in the eastern continent?]
The eastern continent (Essos) is further south than Westeros, and feels the North of the great sweep of the eastern sweep of the eastern lands is a huge ocean, the Shivering Sea. Only Westeros extends to the far north.
 –Asshai.com forum chat, July 27, 2008

______

5) Does Westeros connect to the eastern continent through the north?
No.
https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Category/C91/P60

I think there is enough clues that shows why Essos shares the same legend about a hero with a magical sword, it's clearly stated in The World of Ice and Fire that they are based on an ancient legend from Asshai:

It is also written that there are annals in Asshai of such a darkness, and of a hero who fought against it with a red sword. His deeds are said to have been performed before the rise of Valyria, in the earliest age when Old Ghis was first forming its empire. This legend has spread west from Asshai, and the followers of R'hllor claim that this hero was named Azor Ahai, and prophesy his return.
The World of Ice and Fire - Ancient History: The Long Night

How long the darkness endured no man can say, but all agree that it was only when a great warrior—known variously as Hyrkoon the Hero, Azor Ahai, Yin Tar, Neferion, and Eldric Shadowchaser—arose to give courage to the race of men and lead the virtuous into battle with his blazing sword Lightbringer that the darkness was put to rout, and light and love returned once more to the world.
The World of Ice and Fire - The Bones and Beyond: Yi Ti

So in the ancient text of Asshai, there is a mention of a hero with a red who lead the virtuous into battle to defeat the darkness. That legend spread through Essos where each culture made it their own story.
The fact the legend doesn't mention clearly the Others is very interesting, the use of the word "darkness" is not innocent. We know what it refers to because we have already encountered this phrasing to refer to the Others via Melisandre, her visions and the prophecy of the Prince Who Was Promised:

He is the Lord's chosen, the warrior of fire. I have seen him leading the fight against the dark, I have seen it in the flames. The flames do not lie, else you would not be here. It is written in prophecy as well. When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone.
A Storm of Swords - Davos III

"He is not dead. Stannis is the Lord's chosen, destined to lead the fight against the dark. I have seen it in the flames, read of it in ancient prophecy. When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone. Dragonstone is the place of smoke and salt."
A Dance with Dragons - Jon X

Visions are vague, the Others don't appear clearly but as "darkness". If that's how people perceives them in prophetic visions then it means the ancient text from Asshai was not an old legend of the hero who defeat the Others during the first Long Night but rather prophecy about his action. 
This explains how the legends of Essos can refer to the Others when they were not on the continent, they were perceived through visions.
Oh and of course, that hero they saw though visions, the hero who fought the darkness with his burning sword, leading the virtuous into the last battle that brought back the day is the Last Hero:

How the Long Night came to an end is a matter of legend, as all such matters of the distant past have become. In the North, they tell of a last hero who sought out the intercession of the children of the forest, his companions abandoning him or dying one by one as they faced ravenous giants, cold servants, and the Others themselves. Alone he finally reached the children, despite the efforts of the white walkers, and all the tales agree this was a turning point. Thanks to the children, the first men of the Night's Watch banded together and were able to fight—and win—the Battle for the Dawn: the last battle that broke the endless winter and sent the Others fleeing to the icy north. Now, six thousand years later (or eight thousand as True History puts forward), the Wall made to defend the realms of men is still manned by the sworn brothers of the Night's Watch, and neither the Others nor the children have been seen in many centuries.
The World of Ice and Fire - Ancient History: The Long Night

"I found one account of the Long Night that spoke of the last hero slaying Others with a blade of dragonsteel. Supposedly they could not stand against it."
A Feast for Crows - Samwell I

We found back the hero, the magical sword, the virtuous men and the battle that brought back the day but the tales of the Last Hero don't speak of the Others as "the darkness", their description is accurate and detailed, the tales mentions the ice creatures, their power to raise the dead, their blades of ice that can shatter steel, the  stealing of babies, etc.
It make sense, the Others came from the Land of Always Winter and only Westeros is connected to that part of the world so they are the one who faced them.

There might be a land bridge that connect TLOAW to Essos somewhere east of Mossovy. That might explain the five forts built similarly to the wall. 

However, we don't hear of any thing similar to the others in Essos, only winged men and the likes. 

19 hours ago, The Red Prince said:

I don't see a reason why it couldn't, frankly, and yeah it would help explain the shared myths, but we don't have any evidence that it does so, in a academic approach, i would have to say that we simply don't have proof.
But i believe there is 100% another land bridge

Unnecessary.Think of our own world, did major monotheistic religions of our own world spread because their contents are real and people all around the globe actually witnessed them, or did they just come from a very small area and spread only because people carried them around and changed them over time?

People carried those stories from Westeros. Trade existed and we have a source for these stories to travel to Essos: Oldtown.The Citadel dates as far back as age of Heroes and was a place of scholars etc. perfect place for the legends and myths to be collected and then spread from.

The origins of the Citadel are almost as mysterious as those of the Hightower itself. Most credit its founding to the second son of Uthor of the High Tower, Prince Peremore the Twisted. A sickly boy, born with a withered arm and twisted back, Peremore was bedridden for much of his short life but had an insatiable curiosity about the world beyond his window, so he turned to wise men, teachers, priests, healers, and singers, along with a certain number of wizards, alchemists, and sorcerers. It is said the prince had no greater pleasure in life than listening to these scholars argue with one another. When Peremore died, his brother King Urrigon bequeathed a large tract of land beside the Honeywine to "Peremore's pets," that they might establish themselves and continue teaching, learning, and questing after truth. And so they did.

Religion of Red Rahloo is exactly that, someone somewhere somehow learned of the Last Hero of Westeros and over thousands of years and passing around between countless peoples, it evolved into Azor Ahai of the Asshai legends. Reminds you of Gilgamesh, don't you think?

5 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Unnecessary.Think of our own world, did major monotheistic religions of our own world spread because their contents are real and people all around the globe actually witnessed them, or did they just come from a very small area and spread only because people carried them around and changed them over time?

Its not as simple as you make it out to be, firstly there's a sharp difference between a entire religious apparatus such as a monotheistic religion and a single tale as is the case with the story of the long night, which is shared by the CoTF, First Men, Rh'lor worshipers and, on the farthest eastern reaches of the known world, The Great Empire of Dawn. 
The fact that the children of the forest specially, who i don't believe had much trade or mingling with anyone besides the first men, who themselves are a group very distinct from the andals and those who worship rh'lor and would become even more so after their entry into westeros, hold this story as very true and dear to their heart while at the same time it seems to make part of the great eastern mythos, since it revolves around the Great Empire of Dawn, leads me to believe that the tales are born of an event that because of its global nature resulted in tales all around the world. 
In fact, we never hear from the children of the forest how the others came to be or how the long night actually started, the only "good" explanation we have for it comes from the far east, and if the source of the catastrophe comes from the far east but affects both it and the far north of westeros, bleeding down towards southern westeros as it advances, it isn't that unlikely that a land bridge is at play here. 
Also of note is that mingling by trade or migrations can only change a people so much, you cite monotheistic religions but most of the spread of monotheistic faiths was done not by trade or migration, but by force of arms or by appeal to the masses, Islam took over the middle east because of holy war and the subsequent means by which they assimilated the people they conquered, and christianity only took hold in Rome because i appealed to the plebs, and once it had expanded as much as possible by simple appeal to the masses it resorted to good old violence. 
In fact, the branches of christianity that didn't have enough force of arms to bear against infidels where the most atrophied of all, look at the coptic church and the many apostolic eastern faiths. 
So i don't think the tale of the long night made its way all around the world and became such a fundamental piece of mythos for two very different people (the followers of the old gods and the followers of rh'lor) because of simple trade, i think it reflects shared events being experienced and thus recounted in myths.
For instance, there is the belief amongst some historians that the prevalence of world flood myths in cultures both on the fertile crescent and on the americas points to their origin being linked to the problems these peoples had with floods, so it isn't as unecessary or nutty as you may think. 

5 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

People carried those stories from Westeros. Trade existed and we have a source for these stories to travel to Essos: Oldtown.The Citadel dates as far back as age of Heroes and was a place of scholars etc. perfect place for the legends and myths to be collected and then spread from.

I do not doubt the Citadel dates as far back as that, but i dont believe trade nor shipbuilding in the age of heroes was that developed for people to cross the western sea to go to oldtown, my personal opinion is that oldtown was a ancient trading center for the southern westerosi lands just as it is today, if there is any evidence to the contrary please show it to me tho, it would be very interesting.

22 hours ago, The Red Prince said:

Its not as simple as you make it out to be, firstly there's a sharp difference between a entire religious apparatus such as a monotheistic religion and a single tale as is the case with the story of the long night, which is shared by the CoTF, First Men, Rh'lor worshipers and, on the farthest eastern reaches of the known world, The Great Empire of Dawn. 
The fact that the children of the forest specially, who i don't believe had much trade or mingling with anyone besides the first men, who themselves are a group very distinct from the andals and those who worship rh'lor and would become even more so after their entry into westeros, hold this story as very true and dear to their heart while at the same time it seems to make part of the great eastern mythos, since it revolves around the Great Empire of Dawn, leads me to believe that the tales are born of an event that because of its global nature resulted in tales all around the world. 
In fact, we never hear from the children of the forest how the others came to be or how the long night actually started, the only "good" explanation we have for it comes from the far east, and if the source of the catastrophe comes from the far east but affects both it and the far north of westeros, bleeding down towards southern westeros as it advances, it isn't that unlikely that a land bridge is at play here. 
Also of note is that mingling by trade or migrations can only change a people so much, you cite monotheistic religions but most of the spread of monotheistic faiths was done not by trade or migration, but by force of arms or by appeal to the masses, Islam took over the middle east because of holy war and the subsequent means by which they assimilated the people they conquered, and christianity only took hold in Rome because i appealed to the plebs, and once it had expanded as much as possible by simple appeal to the masses it resorted to good old violence. 
In fact, the branches of christianity that didn't have enough force of arms to bear against infidels where the most atrophied of all, look at the coptic church and the many apostolic eastern faiths. 
So i don't think the tale of the long night made its way all around the world and became such a fundamental piece of mythos for two very different people (the followers of the old gods and the followers of rh'lor) because of simple trade, i think it reflects shared events being experienced and thus recounted in myths.
For instance, there is the belief amongst some historians that the prevalence of world flood myths in cultures both on the fertile crescent and on the americas points to their origin being linked to the problems these peoples had with floods, so it isn't as unecessary or nutty as you may think. 

I do not doubt the Citadel dates as far back as that, but i dont believe trade nor shipbuilding in the age of heroes was that developed for people to cross the western sea to go to oldtown, my personal opinion is that oldtown was a ancient trading center for the southern westerosi lands just as it is today, if there is any evidence to the contrary please show it to me tho, it would be very interesting.

You forget that these all come from Sumerian legends/mythology/religion/whatever. Were these legends spread by the sword when monotheistic religions weren't even a thing? Not that it matters anyway as it was just an example to point out that it isn't necessary for the events to have been witnessed, whether it was spread through the word or the sword. In the case of Westeros, since there's no migration back to Essos that we know of, I simply went with trade.

Also why even bring in the CoTF and First Men? These two groups obviously witnessed that event. It is the Essosi who very likely didn't have the Last Hero equivalent and took it from the stories spread from Westeros. As for sea travel, well, Andals who weren't originally seafaring people had no trouble sailing to places going as south as Dorne and as north as, well, North so if even the not seafaring people of Andals can do it, seafaring people trading from some place in Essos to as far as Oldtown is not out of the question.

There isn't, because GRRM has confirmed there isn't.

That said...I think that might actually have been (and still be) the goal of the Others.  To freeze the North so completely that ice connects to Essos so they can cross the water and take over the other continents.

On 11/23/2022 at 1:23 AM, The Red Prince said:

There's no evidence part for the existence of Battle Isle with the blackrock fort. It's very unlikely a culture essentially in the early bronze age could have built that.

3 hours ago, hnv said:

There's no evidence part for the existence of Battle Isle with the blackrock fort. It's very unlikely a culture essentially in the early bronze age could have built that.

It could be the outpost of some seafaring culture that ventured there before First Man(nope, not buying that whole GEotD stuff) or it could very well be magicked up construction. When FM built the wall they had access to magic such as the Talking Gate, why not this?

2 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

It could be the outpost of some seafaring culture that ventured there before First Man(nope, not buying that whole GEotD stuff) or it could very well be magicked up construction. When FM built the wall they had access to magic such as the Talking Gate, why not this?

Well it's highly speculative. If it's a human culture they had to predate the first men, who I think are acknowledged as the first men across the Neck even by the Children.

The other is architecture. The black rock fort is quite unique, if it was erected by magic it's quite bizarre we only have one of this structures in the whole of Westeros (not sure if the Seastone Chair counts here), when all the rest of the similar structures are across the narrow sea.

So I think we can rule out the builders of Battle Isle being indigenous to Wesetros.

But any ancient sea faring culture then, GEotD or not, would have had to master deep sea voyage to build an outpost there. Given that we know that the FM and old Ghis both were in their Bronze Age, that sounds like a feat too great for them. That would imply that there was some culture back then that was far more advanced then Old Ghis, which maesters hold as the first civilization.

All very puzzling, but the strength of the GEotD theory is that it can explain several apparently unrelated phenomena in a non ad hoc way.

I don't think that we'll get a better look at both the Citadel and the Hightower via Sam in the winds.

5 hours ago, hnv said:

Well it's highly speculative. If it's a human culture they had to predate the first men, who I think are acknowledged as the first men across the Neck even by the Children.

The other is architecture. The black rock fort is quite unique, if it was erected by magic it's quite bizarre we only have one of this structures in the whole of Westeros (not sure if the Seastone Chair counts here), when all the rest of the similar structures are across the narrow sea.

So I think we can rule out the builders of Battle Isle being indigenous to Wesetros.

But any ancient sea faring culture then, GEotD or not, would have had to master deep sea voyage to build an outpost there. Given that we know that the FM and old Ghis both were in their Bronze Age, that sounds like a feat too great for them. That would imply that there was some culture back then that was far more advanced then Old Ghis, which maesters hold as the first civilization.

All very puzzling, but the strength of the GEotD theory is that it can explain several apparently unrelated phenomena in a non ad hoc way.

I don't think that we'll get a better look at both the Citadel and the Hightower via Sam in the winds.

Maybe they are merlings! Or whatever that was which was all the rage in crackpot theory a few years bag. Manderlys, Varys, Illyrio, they were all supposed to be merlings according to those. GEotD being answer to everything has as much credibility as that.

54 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Maybe they are merlings! Or whatever that was which was all the rage in crackpot theory a few years bag. Manderlys, Varys, Illyrio, they were all supposed to be merlings according to those. GEotD being answer to everything has as much credibility as that.

GEotD is an hypothesis, hardly certain, but it has some textual backing, whereas the merlings theory was really quite far fetched.

Personally I think the GEotD is too ambitious and build on a mixture of easter eggs and some world building seeds George left but will never pick up. We will get some info about the long night, the last hero and such, but I think some things will be left to fan fiction with the GEotD being one.

On 11/21/2022 at 9:40 AM, _Bittersteel_ said:

I mean just looking at it, it seems unlikely. But could TLOAW actually stretch around the globe and connect to Ulthos. Making the connect between the “demons” of Essos and the Others of Westeros. It could also explain how both continents have such similar tales of the Long Night.

Parts of this podcast discussed the Five Forts in Essos.  There are threats to both continents but not necessarily the same threat.  The night brings darkness.  There are other creatures who live in the dark besides the White Walkers.  Essos has its threats too and they are not necessarily the White Walkers.  These species get stronger when the sunlight disappears and darkness allows them to go where the people have their cities.  Both continents face threats whether there exists a land bridge or not.  On the north of the Five Forts is the land of the Shrykes.  Shrykes are called butcher birds.  They impale their prey on thorns and sharp objects before tearing them apart.  It is the cover of darkness and the cold which gives these threats a way to enter the warmer lands.  It makes perfect sense.  Northern creatures would require cold temperatures and would shun sunlight.  Take warmth and sunlight away and they can now go where they please.  

On 11/23/2022 at 6:51 PM, Corvo the Crow said:

You forget that these all come from Sumerian legends/mythology/religion/whatever.

Not all of them, flood myths are very common in the Americas, specially in the central american mythos, and i fail to see how the sumerian legends would influence the developing of mesoamerican mythology. 

On 11/23/2022 at 6:51 PM, Corvo the Crow said:

Also why even bring in the CoTF and First Men? These two groups obviously witnessed that event. It is the Essosi who very likely didn't have the Last Hero equivalent and took it from the stories spread from Westeros. As for sea travel, well, Andals who weren't originally seafaring people had no trouble sailing to places going as south as Dorne and as north as, well, North so if even the not seafaring people of Andals can do it, seafaring people trading from some place in Essos to as far as Oldtown is not out of the question.

Your analysis of the Andals and their seafering achievments forgets the twon main limiting factors for long-distance sailing in those days: supply issues and winds. The main reason why people didn't simply cross the indian ocean to get to southeast asia and instead had to hop by the coasts of the indian subcontinent was because I you couldn't stockpile enough food to make such a long trip with the food conservation tecniques of the time and II the shipbuilding tech wasn't prepared to deal with the different pressure and currents of ocean waters nor the winds of the open sea, such developments took a long time to happen which is why we only got the great navigations about 500 years ago when humankind has been seafering for far longer.
We can see that Planetosi seafaring technology is clearly on the level of coast hopping, because most ships stop regularly at ports to resupply, be it merchant convoys doing the trader's circle in the jade sea, transport ships such as those of the golden company that had to stop in Lys before going to westeros or even the Iron Fleet who had to routinely make stops to resupply in their road to Slaver's bay. 
Now, we don't know the size of the western sea of planetos, but i think its a safe bet that its big enough or dangerous enough that people can't brave it with current technology in Planetos, because if it was possible to do that the Hightowers, who are patrons of the most knowlegeable institution on the seven kingdoms, probably would have found a way into the very lucrative lands of the jade sea by now to directly tap into that sweet trade revenue, just like the portuguese did in our world. 

So i keep my belief that there is no way the people of essos crossed the Western sea into westeros, the technology and the current state of western westeros doesn't lend itself to that creed, and without such a bridge to bring the tale from one continent to another i believe that it being a worldwide phenomena is a very good explanation.

On 11/24/2022 at 3:55 AM, hnv said:

Well, you are assuming that the Battle Isle Fort was built by a bronze age culture with bronze age methods, which in a world that isn't Earth and has many differing things (mainly dragons and magic) is a very bold assumption to make, who knows what kind of means the early westerosi men had at their disposal? I concur with you that people with a primitive grasp of technology couldn't build that, but to conclude that it had to be Ancient Essossi based on that is quite a stretch, it could be a ancient native westerosi culture who dwelt in the western coast (since we also have the oily black rock in the seastone chair) and that got wiped out by some disaster, maybe a tsunami? a civil war? the arriving of the others? who knows.
Maybe it was ancient Essossi who did it, but we don't have any overwhelming evidence to support that line of thinking.

11 minutes ago, The Red Prince said:

Your analysis of the Andals and their seafering achievments forgets the twon main limiting factors for long-distance sailing in those days: supply issues and winds. The main reason why people didn't simply cross the indian ocean to get to southeast asia and instead had to hop by the coasts of the indian subcontinent was because I you couldn't stockpile enough food to make such a long trip with the food conservation tecniques of the time and II the shipbuilding tech wasn't prepared to deal with the different pressure and currents of ocean waters nor the winds of the open sea, such developments took a long time to happen which is why we only got the great navigations about 500 years ago when humankind has been seafering for far longer.
We can see that Planetosi seafaring technology is clearly on the level of coast hopping, because most ships stop regularly at ports to resupply, be it merchant convoys doing the trader's circle in the jade sea, transport ships such as those of the golden company that had to stop in Lys before going to westeros or even the Iron Fleet who had to routinely make stops to resupply in their road to Slaver's bay.

My analysis of the Andals and their seafaring achievements are based entirely on what the author wrote, Andals being able to cross the Narrow Sea setting off from Andalos and going to anywhere on the eastern coast of Westeros from North to Dorne. How long does that voyage take, I can't tell, perhaps there's something on chapters of characters who travelled from Westeros to Essos like Sam, Arya, Tyrion

16 minutes ago, The Red Prince said:

This makes it even more easier to spread tales though.

18 minutes ago, The Red Prince said:

Now, we don't know the size of the western sea of planetos, but i think its a safe bet that its big enough or dangerous enough that people can't brave it with current technology in Planetos, because if it was possible to do that the Hightowers, who are patrons of the most knowlegeable institution on the seven kingdoms, probably would have found a way into the very lucrative lands of the jade sea by now to directly tap into that sweet trade revenue, just like the portuguese did in our world. 

You speak as if these tales from Westeros can spread from only one place and towards only one direction: Oldtown and West. It can very well be spread to Essos from, say, Duskendale.

18 minutes ago, The Red Prince said:

Well, you are assuming that the Battle Isle Fort was built by a bronze age culture with bronze age methods, which in a world that isn't Earth and has many differing things (mainly dragons and magic) is a very bold assumption to make, who knows what kind of means the early westerosi men had at their disposal? I concur with you that people with a primitive grasp of technology couldn't build that, but to conclude that it had to be Ancient Essossi based on that is quite a stretch, it could be a ancient native westerosi culture who dwelt in the western coast (since we also have the oily black rock in the seastone chair) and that got wiped out by some disaster, maybe a tsunami? a civil war? the arriving of the others? who knows.
Maybe it was ancient Essossi who did it, but we don't have any overwhelming evidence to support that line of thinking.

The "Mysterious Black Stone" really has a bitumen feel to it, which has been used for thousands of years. Who knows perhaps the earliest Westerosi used it but over time they ran out of material and just forgot about it. 

Well, maybe TLOAW has a land bridge to Northamericos, then to Southamericos, then to Antarcicos, and finally to Sothyros, which of course explains why Southyros is all messed up.

In all seriousness, I don't think this is the song of good fire and evil ice.   I think there are other centers of eldritch evil besides The Land of Always Winter; which have no direct and necessary physical connection to it.

7 minutes ago, Gilbert Green said:

Well, maybe TLOAW has a land bridge to Northamericos, then to Southamericos, then to Antarcicos, and finally to Sothyros, which of course explains why Southyros is all messed up.

In all seriousness, I don't think this is the song of good fire and evil ice.   I think there are other centers of eldritch evil besides The Land of Always Winter; which have no direct and necessary physical connection to it.

I agree, but it is a thought though. The Long Night was a near apocalyptic event that happened on the world scale however. Probably through magic. Perhaps the magic manifested differently in different places. Westeros got The Others, the Far East got “demons”

Archived