Was Ashara the Most Beautiful Lady in her Time?

Corvo the Crow

Just now, Springwatch said:

Likely?? Those are literally Viserys' views you're quoting; she doesn't own them in those quotes.

Yes they are Viserys' views, that doesn't mean she doesn't believe them, she clearly believes what he was saying about being disease resistant given she walks amongst a dysentey hotspot.

1 minute ago, Springwatch said:

That's one undeniably good thing about Dany: she can re-evaluate what she's told.

I agree, I said in another thread that I think Daenerys can grow out of Viserys' bigoted views. She may already have done.

2 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Yes they are Viserys' views, that doesn't mean she doesn't believe them, she clearly believes what he was saying about being disease resistant given she walks amongst a dysentey hotspot.

To then have euhm an issue in the Dothraki Sea. :wacko:

As others have said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some like it wild, others hot red. Some like it "real", or the opposite "unreal". Some only care for outside perfection, while others prefer substance and are charmed by a minor flaw. Some life soft and sweet normal, while others a startling rarity.

Not all, but several Targaryens have the "unreal" beauty: platina-blue turned up 11 to silver-purple. Most have that colouring, but seem less handsome or beautiful in some respects. Depending on their personality they might be more attractive or just utterly repulsive. Anyway, lots of people find the unrealness of it beautiful by itself.

Ashara Dayne and in a way Baratheons and Starks (youthful Robert, Renly and Gendry) fall under the startling rarity: dark/black hair with light eyes (grey, blue, green or violet). I myself tend to consider the dark-light contrast more beautiful or handsome than either all dark or all fair, and I know many people consider this beautiful. Ashara Dayne's startling rarity is the most rare of these for her violet eyes. So, I would probably consider Ashara the most beautiful one of her time, with Lyanna as close second. For the men, I'd get Rhaegar's pop star attractiveness, but would end up having a fling (and his bastard) with Robert Baratheon while perhaps wishing it were Arthur Dayne (if he had dark hair and blue/violet eyes).

6 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

The quote goes on further than you did: Viserys had oft claimed that Targaryens were untroubled by the pestilences that afflicted common men, and so far as she could tell, it was true. She could remember being cold and hungry and afraid, but never sick.

First, no-one uses the word 'claimed' if they have total faith in the speaker. Second, she's looking for evidence to test his claim. That's all good (though she's putting too much confidence in her own experience).

I'm a high fantasy fan, so I have zero problems with Targs being disease resistant, heat resistant, naturally incestuous, or abominations whose ancestors were magically bred with beasts. So I think Dany is just stating what she knows when she says she has good disease resistance, as well as extreme beauty and love of heat.

6 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

I agree, I said in another thread that I think Daenerys can grow out of Viserys' bigoted views. She may already have done.

Dany is not Viserys, yes. He's been her main source of information about the world, but she's been doubting him since the first page of her first chapter.

On 1/30/2023 at 6:20 AM, sweetsunray said:

As others have said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some like it wild, others hot red. Some like it "real", or the opposite "unreal". Some only care for outside perfection, while others prefer substance and are charmed by a minor flaw. Some life soft and sweet normal, while others a startling rarity.

Not all, but several Targaryens have the "unreal" beauty: platina-blue turned up 11 to silver-purple. Most have that colouring, but seem less handsome or beautiful in some respects. Depending on their personality they might be more attractive or just utterly repulsive. Anyway, lots of people find the unrealness of it beautiful by itself.

Ashara Dayne and in a way Baratheons and Starks (youthful Robert, Renly and Gendry) fall under the startling rarity: dark/black hair with light eyes (grey, blue, green or violet). I myself tend to consider the dark-light contrast more beautiful or handsome than either all dark or all fair, and I know many people consider this beautiful. Ashara Dayne's startling rarity is the most rare of these for her violet eyes. So, I would probably consider Ashara the most beautiful one of her time, with Lyanna as close second. For the men, I'd get Rhaegar's pop star attractiveness, but would end up having a fling (and his bastard) with Robert Baratheon while perhaps wishing it were Arthur Dayne (if he had dark hair and blue/violet eyes).

I think that Ashara Dayne was by far prettier than Cercei and Lyanna , but Lyanna had attainable beauty . Meaning that she was pretty but not too pretty . The type of pretty that would not frighten men off .

1 hour ago, BRANDON GREYSTARK said:

I think that Ashara Dayne was by far prettier than Cercei and Lyanna , but Lyanna had attainable beauty . Meaning that she was pretty but not too pretty . The type of pretty that would not frighten men off .

And Cersei had Tywinable beauty. Meaning she was quite beautiful, but exaggarated because she was the daughter of Tywin, a very rich and powerful lord. This goes the same for Dany, most Lysene women -and some men- would be far more beautiful than her because she is both inbred and despite her racial supremacist Valyrian views, is not of pure Valyrian descent. I am not even mentioning the Lysene bedslaves who are bred to be beautiful, just talking about the common folk and perhaps the nobility if they don't practice incest.

"Ask, I said, not beg." Jon pulled back his hand. "It is no good sending messages. Your Grace will need to go to them yourself. Eat their bread and salt, drink their ale, listen to their pipers, praise the beauty of their daughters and the courage of their sons, and you'll have their swords. The clans have not seen a king since Torrhen Stark bent his knee. Your coming does them honor. Command them to fight for you, and they will look at one another and say, 'Who is this man? He is no king of mine.' "

Especially by Kevan

She will never wash the stain away, no matter how hard she scrubs. Ser Kevan remembered the girl she once had been, so full of life and mischief. And when she'd flowered, ahhhh … had there ever been a maid so sweet to look upon? If Aerys had agreed to marry her to Rhaegar, how many deaths might have been avoided? Cersei could have given the prince the sons he wanted, lions with purple eyes and silver manes … and with such a wife, Rhaegar might never have looked twice at Lyanna Stark. The northern girl had a wild beauty, as he recalled, though however bright a torch might burn it could never match the rising sun.

Sometimes I wonder if Kevan or Tywin was a woman, would the Lannister incest have happened a generation ago. I clearly see that potential in Kevan that he would be breaking a taboo(incest) for a relationship with Tywin but not two(homosexuality).

Ashara seems most beautiful.Just like Rhaenys Velaryon with dark hair and purple eyes. 

Even their cadet branch have same trait as we see with Darkheart. And Arianne fantasizes of Gerald Dayne being ideal husband and having children as beautiful as dragon lords.

Considering many options Lyseni merchant prince could have, Lynesse Hightower must be very beautiful to be chief concubine who makes his wife fear. And it in turn reflects well on Daenerys's beauty..as he sees Lynesse on her.

Archived