Cycling 2023 - are the big 6 beatable?

BigFatCoward

• 2 weeks later...

mental short, incredibly mountainous stage today, Jumbo are going to kick Remco all over the moutains.  I'm hoping for big things from Ayuso, hopefully there are still more contenders than Kuss, Roglic and Vingegaard after today. 

every stage that goes near Formigal seems to be classic. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Going to try and catch some of the last week of this vuelta, barely managed to watch any so far. From what I have seen Remco cracked and went way out of contention and is now stage hunting and Jumbo are dominating. Angliru is in a day or two so will definitely tune in for that.

I'm pleased for Kuss, but a gift is still a gift.  If they had only taken Roglic OR Vingegaard no way he is allowed to win, he was just a pawn in that power struggle and now both of them are sort of mollified. 

I don't think Remco ever gets to compete with Vingegaard (or even Pogacar) in a grand tour (though he is only 23 so there is room for growth) but he is amazing at what he does well.  Looking forward to watching him and Pog kicking the shit out of each other, and by extension leaving everyone else in the dust, at Il Lombardia.

The Big 6 (van aert needs to up his game) nearly won every important race this year, and a lot of unimportant ones, but look likely to fall at the 2nd to last hurdle. 

2 of the 3 grand tours, all the monuments so far, WCRR, WCTT, UAE Tour, Paris Nice, Tireno Adriatico, Catalunya, E3, Tour of the Basque Country, Amstel, Fleche, Dauphine and San Sebastian.  

Edited by BigFatCoward

• 2 weeks later...

I see rumours are flying that Jumbo and quickstep might be trying to merge. Might make it more likely for Remco to go to Ineos. Probably wouldn't be the best for the overall pro peloton to lose one big team and creating one even bigger more dominant team.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, lmanion said:

MVDP should have won, milan-sanremo, Roubaix and world champ in cylcocross and on the road

it was a difficult year to seperate the contenders be fair but you are correct.  Evenepoel had the 5th best season and won a monument, world TT champ, 2 Giro stages, 3 stages and KoM at the Vuelta, Classica san Sebastian, UAE Tour, 2nd in Catalunya, 3rd in Tour de Suisse. 

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Rohan Dennis has been charged with causing his wife's death.

Sounds like some accident where he was driving next to her while she was riding and she has done something out of the usual/trick with tragic consequences.  

Worth mentioning she was herself an olympic medalist on track.

Doesn't at all sound like a cycling accident, police have said she wasn't on a bike when she was hit. Apparently was just outside their home. From the reporting it sounds more likely a domestic violence incident, but will have to wait for the details.

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

Disaster currently. Roglic, Remco and Vingegaard all in a very big crash. Season ending injuries for all of them are possible, if not worse. 

Edit Thankfully it seems like nobody is serious hurt. Collarbones, ribs, broken etc. all conscious, Vingegaard is still down but talking. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I normally do a big run down of the contenders for the giro but what is the point?

Pog is going to absolutely piss it. He's looked better than ever, has a new trainer that appears to have him dialled in, and he thrives in the cold. 

The only reason he doesn't win by 10 mins is he is trying to double up with the tour and he might want to avoid going too deep. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Exactly that yeah. 

More interesting was what I saw in the Classics, with incredible work from Van der Poel from San Remo till Liege Bastogne Liege. Its almost unique to ride that well in the Flemish classics, and then compete again in LBL which Pogacar won convincingly.

The Giro promises to be a race between contenders for place 2, and thats ok. The Tour though, all the big guns are lining up for it, Vingegaard when he returns, Pogacar, Evenepoel, Roglic and a few others.

Edited by Calibandar