The Music of the Rolling Stones

I'm retired and have got time on my hands.  I was always a country music kind of guy.  I got into watching reaction videos on Youtube and started liking some of the 70s and 80s groups like Styx, ELO, and now the Rolling Stones.  My parents would flip back in the day if they caught me listening to Queen and ACDC but I'm an old man now.  They wouldn't allow KISS records in the house when I was growing up.  They might not have much of a problem with Rolling Stones.  I watched a reaction to a Rolling Stones concert in 1981.  Mick Jagger jumping around in what has to be the weirdest pair of britches.  So as I understand the women like this guy?  Weird.  His vocals aren't so impressive.  What gives them staying power?

2 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

What gives them staying power?

People who pay to see them live these days, then saying things like, 'Ooooooooooh, they're amaaaaazing! Better than ever!'

Those people are idiots.

Edited by Spockydog

I mean by 81 the stones were already washed up for the most part.  

But they put out some pretty amazing albums-  Beggars Banquet, Exile, Let it Bleed and Sticky Fingers are absolute classics.  I dunno why anyone would want to see them in concert today, but that doesn't make those albums sound any worse.  Plenty of great stuff before then too, and a few gems after as well.  

26 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

I mean by 81 the stones were already washed up for the most part.  

But they put out some pretty amazing albums-  Beggars Banquet, Exile, Let it Bleed and Sticky Fingers are absolute classics.  I dunno why anyone would want to see them in concert today, but that doesn't make those albums sound any worse.  Plenty of great stuff before then too, and a few gems after as well.  

For me Altamont was when I stopped.

For me (certainly younger, stupider me), and probably many others a generation behind, Altamont just added to their legend. That Gimme Shelter movie is freakin' wild.

Edited by Spockydog

15 hours ago, Spockydog said:

That Gimme Shelter movie is freakin' wild.

I mean, so is the song. No band has ever gone as hard as they did on that recording, in a very literal and tragic way for Merry Clayton. 

22 hours ago, Spockydog said:

But I saw them at Glasto and they were shite. I mean, proper shite.

My brother worked a gig of theirs in Manchester last year. He admittedly didn't see the whole thing but he didn't have any complaints. Like I mean I guess it's safe to assume they were definitely better back in the day, but maybe these days it's a 'Bob Dylan live' situation, where by many accounts sometimes you get Bob Dylan, folk legend, and sometimes you get a mad old busker. 

• 4 weeks later...