The Importance of Victarion

Maegor_the_Cool

At first glance, he doesn’t seem to be that important of a character. Honestly he seems like a plot device to carry out Euron’s will, with some added characteristics to make him more interesting whilst he does it.

But SOMETHING happened to him in the captains cabin with Moqorro. And now he has a mystical arm/hand we know next to nothing about.

On top of that, the chapter it happens in, “The Iron Suitor” is 1 of only 2 chapters in the entire series where it exits the POV character’s viewpoint. The other being Daenerys’ chapter at the end of AGOT when she awakens the dragons.

Both chapters end with something extraordinarily magical happening. Daenerys’ chapter being one of the most if not the most important in the series. It being first seemingly makes Victarion’s seem more important just because of the similarity. It seems to me that GRRM wants us to see both chapters and similar and notable.

2 hours ago, _Rhaegar_Targaryen_ said:

Both chapters end with something extraordinarily magical happening. Daenerys’ chapter being one of the most if not the most important in the series. It being first seemingly makes Victarion’s seem more important just because of the similarity. It seems to me that GRRM wants us to see both chapters and similar and notable.

Possibly, but both passages also involve a "medical/magical miracle" that happened mid-chapter, and maybe it was just written that way because there was no better way George Martin could think of to write it.

If there's more to it, I think it is less about Victarion being really important than Moqorro being really important.  Some of the POV characters aren't that important as characters to themselves, but to tell the story of another character that GRRM doesn't want to be a POV (Areo vs Doran, for example).

To answer the question of the thread, I think the importance of Victarion is to help Barristan's side win the Battle of Meereen, provide ships for Dany and her Dothraki and whoever else goes to Westeros with her, and do something that will alter the loyalties of one or both of the dragons in Meereen, but I don't think he'll ever return back to Westeros.

Yeah I suspect Victorian's purpose is to bring Dany a bunch of stuff like ships Moqorro show Moqorro's power and then promptly die. Maybe he'll marry Dany or have a fling with her, he's the kind of guy she's into after all but I don't think he'll be that long for this world once he meets his silver queen. 

He'll also connect her to Euron and who knows what that'll lead to. 

2 hours ago, Darzin said:

Yeah I suspect Victorian's purpose is to bring Dany a bunch of stuff like ships Moqorro show Moqorro's power and then promptly die. Maybe he'll marry Dany or have a fling with her, he's the kind of guy she's into after all but I don't think he'll be that long for this world once he meets his silver queen. 

He'll also connect her to Euron and who knows what that'll lead to. 

Lol, no he is not. She likes charming men who are also bad boys. Victorian is in no way charming whatsoever. I am beginning to think men really...really can't understand why women like certain men, lol. 

41 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Lol, no he is not. She likes charming men who are also bad boys. Victorian is in no way charming whatsoever. I am beginning to think men really...really can't understand why women like certain men, lol. 

Euron is definitely her type tho. If he can keep his psycho side under wraps

44 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Well they could if they stopped thinking of women as a foreign species. Because these bad boy charmers are also the men other men like and follow.

34 minutes ago, Hippocras said:

Well they could if they stopped thinking of women as a foreign species. Because these bad boy charmers are also the men other men like and follow.

It depends. Some of the charming men are generally charming (ie they charm men to), and others charm only women (I would argue they are often only surface level charming...as they aren't truly charming, it's just an act in this case). I certainly knew men that a lot of women like, and I was like...him? Cause that dude was very unpleasant around other men. On the other hand, ...there are men who just hate charming men because they are charming/handsome (but I don't think I fall into that categoryI like charming people, lol), which I think is the case most of the time when talking about Daario (although he is also...a bad person, so who knows?) 

44 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

It depends. Some of the charming men are generally charming (ie they charm men to), and others charm only women (I would argue they are often only surface level charming...as they aren't truly charming, it's just an act in this case). I certainly knew men that a lot of women like, and I was like...him? Cause that dude was very unpleasant around other men. On the other hand, ...there are men who just hate charming men because they are charming/handsome (but I don't think I fall into that categoryI like charming people, lol), which I think is the case most of the time when talking about Daario (although he is also...a bad person, so who knows?) 

I think just as many women can discern the difference there as men. Not all women are idiots, and neither are all men, but some are.

40 minutes ago, Hippocras said:

I think just as many women can discern the difference there as men. Not all women are idiots, and neither are all men, but some are.

Agreed. But also I think men often take off their mask in front of other men, much as white people often take off their mask in front of other white people, or straight people take off their mask in front of other straight people, etc, lol. My point being sometimes men very much know how fake certain men are being...because they just tell them, lol. I remember I had one coworker who was always very charming. For the most part he kept the act up around me, because I had many female friends in the office. However, after a "bonding" night out clubbing, he let down the mask. He talked about women more like....well, you can guess (heavy misogyny, disgusting disgusting stuff). But I guarantee he would never do that around women. It made it quite obvious that he was fake as no one that says those kind of things is actually being genuine, basically at all, in front of women. 

Random note : But since I married a Korean...I am no longer included in the white people slipping off their mask party. I'm assuming everyone didn't stop being racist, and they are just careful now around me, lol. 

Also, I'm not saying people can't see through the bullshlit...they can and often, but it is easier when..the people just aren't bullshitting in front of you, lol. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2023 at 10:58 PM, Maegor_the_Cool said:

Euron is definitely her type tho. If he can keep his psycho side under wraps

I think Euron is creepy AF and everyone sees it.  He's got a vision and confidence which can be attractive, but I think he moves fast and takes what he wants and in the case of the young lady he takes into his bed, she gets a very short taste of rebellion and power while seemingly in the conquoror's favour before quckly getting cast aside (in the worst possible way).  Euron could no more woo Dany than Victarian or a Joffrey could.

After learning that Victarion was suppose to die at the end of AFFC's, I have become convinced that Moqorro is a character, that GRRM created as a stand in for himself. I also find it very interesting, that Victarion is the only temporary POV character to go from a "description" title, to actually having his name appear at the start of a chapter. On top of all that, GRRM mentioned that he was still writing Victarion chapters, back in 2020. This has me convinced that GRRM has big plans for the character; possibly Dany's admiral.