The Maegor Art Dilemma…

Maegor_the_Cool

14 hours ago, James Steller said:

Except Aegon II, Viserys son of Aerys, and Aerion

"In his youth, Aerion was slim and of average height. He had curly silver-gold hair, deep violet eyes, and pale unblemished skin. Aerion's face was sculptured and imperious, with a high brow, sharp cheekbones, and a straight nose."

What about that says "unattractive" to you?!

Some Targs may lose their good looks through lifestyle or injury (Aegon IV, Aemond, Viserys III), or simple age, and some of them might pout and scowl and make themselves look silly (Aegon II) but they are all naturally physically beautiful.

7 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the Targaryens look like anime characters which is an instant turn off.

Not sure your opinion is worth much as you are actually blaming/beating up fictional people for the manner of their birth. Maegor definitely was an asshole of enormous proportions ... but he is not to be blamed for the fact that his parents were married or that his mother may have conceived him with magic.

Also, it is quite clear that the Targaryens are all stunningly beautiful in absence of their pale and purple eyes. Their bodies are all well built, their skin is spotless and smooth, etc. They even don't sweat much in heat which is most definitely an instant turn on, lol.

Even the ones with physically deformities like Aegon II's son Jaehaerys are likely to be physically beautiful freaks with too many toes or fingers.

23 hours ago, James Steller said:

Except Aegon II, Viserys son of Aerys, and Aerion

Viserys III looked like a more slender version of Rhaegar. Which means he was the wet dream of the maidens in the Realm.

Some of them tend to overindulge themselves, like Viserys I or Aegon IV in his later life ... but then they are just fat beautiful people. Robert was a handsome man in his youth, too, had he lost some weight he would have been a dashing guy in his mid-30s in AGoT.

17 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

I'm not blaming them for it, I'm saying it influences how 'hot' I would find them. Not the same thing.

Nope, you listed Maegor's bad character traits and then beat him up for the manner of his conception:

On 12/9/2023 at 9:28 AM, Craving Peaches said:

I don't see it. I actually think he looks a bit constipated. Also, remember he is a paranoid narcissist who is arbitrary, unfaithful, a bully etc. and also either the product of incest or black magic.

Being born of his incest should have no bearing on anyone's attractiveness in any case. It is not something you will ever learn about a partner or spouse unless they know and tell you. There are people out there who are the result of intentional or unintentional incest (e.g. people born from couples who met without knowing they are closely related).

You even get that in the books when Sam never even has bad thoughts about Gilly's double or triple incestuous background as well as she herself participating in incest and giving birth to an incest child.

23 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Nope, you listed Maegor's bad character traits and then beat him up for the manner of his conception:

Being born of his incest should have no bearing on anyone's attractiveness in any case. It is not something you will ever learn about a partner or spouse unless they know and tell you. There are people out there who are the result of intentional or unintentional incest (e.g. people born from couples who met without knowing they are closely related).

You even get that in the books when Sam never even has bad thoughts about Gilly's double or triple incestuous background as well as she herself participating in incest and giving birth to an incest child.

Yeah, how dare anyone have an opinion on what they find attractive?

24 minutes ago, Alester Florent said:

Yeah, how dare anyone have an opinion on what they find attractive?

Come on, now, the manner of your birth/conception doesn't figure into that. Why not say we don't find children born of rape attractive? Or people raised by gay couples? Or people whose parents were criminals? Better still: People who were conceived by artificial insemination or sperm/egg donation or by way of surrogate mothers?

Bottom line is - the manner of your birth/conception doesn't figure into people's criteria of attractiveness. If it did, we would all have to need to know more about people we find attractive than we do when that decision is made.

And anyone rejecting a partner they originally liked and had no problem to be with once they find out that their parents were closely related is an asshole.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

Come on, now, the manner of your birth/conception doesn't figure into that. Why not say we don't find children born of rape attractive? Or people raised by gay couples? Or people whose parents were criminals? Better still: People who were conceived by artificial insemination or sperm/egg donation or by way of surrogate mothers?

Bottom line is - the manner of your birth/conception doesn't figure into people's criteria of attractiveness. If it did, we would all have to need to know more about people we find attractive than we do when that decision is made.

And anyone rejecting a partner they originally liked and had no problem to be with once they find out that their parents were closely related is an asshole.

It may not play a part until you know about it, and as soon as you know about it it becomes something you can't get over. You see someone hot and then they say or do something, or you find out something about their background, that turns you right off them.

Ultimately, what somebody finds attractive is entirely subjective, and personal, indeed arguably the most subjective and personal of all things. I don't think it's reasonable to try to tell people what or who they should, let alone do, find attractive.

On 12/11/2023 at 2:31 AM, Alester Florent said:

"In his youth, Aerion was slim and of average height. He had curly silver-gold hair, deep violet eyes, and pale unblemished skin. Aerion's face was sculptured and imperious, with a high brow, sharp cheekbones, and a straight nose."

What about that says "unattractive" to you?!

Some Targs may lose their good looks through lifestyle or injury (Aegon IV, Aemond, Viserys III), or simple age, and some of them might pout and scowl and make themselves look silly (Aegon II) but they are all naturally physically beautiful.

From what I understand of Targaryen looks (the descriptions) they look vaguely Eastern European lol. I don’t know they don’t sound that beautiful to me except if those looks are your type I guess. This description in particular does not have to be a beautiful person. Theee are plenty of people with high cheekbones or a high brow who are unattractive. Now if they all have good complexion and good hair, I guess that would give them all a leg up in tbe beauty department…but there are still ugly people with a good complexion and nice hair. 

Okay, no one hate me, but off the top of my head, I find Julia Roberts very unattractive and I think some of these traits could be applied to her. I don’t know, I’ve just never understood why peoole find her attractive. Not my type. I like round cheekbones, pronounced jawlines, eye smles (when they smile, their eyes make a upside down smiles too), and dark thick hair (i find fair hair and eyes less attractive then dark ones 90% of the time…except green eyes, I’ll admit green eyes are attractive). My point is…beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I think part of culture is finding people in power attractive. It is quite possible everyone in Westeros rhinks Targaryen’s are beautiful because they were raised in a culture that says that is what is beautiful. 

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

We are specifically talking about how 'hot' people are here. Those traits effect how 'hot' I find Maegor. But nowhere do I actually blame him for them. That is an inference you have incorrectly drawn. 

It is rather silly, to be frank, that you seem to think I am somehow insulting a fictitious character just because I don't find association with incestuous unions 'hot'.

10 hours ago, Alester Florent said:

It may not play a part until you know about it, and as soon as you know about it it becomes something you can't get over. You see someone hot and then they say or do something, or you find out something about their background, that turns you right off them.

Ultimately, what somebody finds attractive is entirely subjective, and personal, indeed arguably the most subjective and personal of all things. I don't think it's reasonable to try to tell people what or who they should, let alone do, find attractive.

But then we don't talk attractiveness but rather if somebody is a proper long term partner, etc. Attractiveness usually doesn't involve family history.

However, anyone who actually were to ditch their husband/wife or long term partners because of something their parents did before their birth is still an asshole to me - and I daresay also to most other decent human beings.

9 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

We are specifically talking about how 'hot' people are here. Those traits effect how 'hot' I find Maegor. But nowhere do I actually blame him for them. That is an inference you have incorrectly drawn. 

It is rather silly, to be frank, that you seem to think I am somehow insulting a fictitious character just because I don't find association with incestuous unions 'hot'.

Being born of incest or black magic doesn't contribute to hotness positively or negatively as you simply don't know that about a person, fictional or otherwise, when you meet them and your body and mind tell you if they are hot or not. It would be equally silly for me to say Maegor is 'hot' because he is the product of sibling incest or black magic because that has literally nothing to do with him as a person or how he would affect me if we were meeting somehow.

It is akin to saying somebody is hot because their parents both had dark hair or both were working as physicians.