Do you agree that Cersei Lannister is so tragic that her Freudian Excuse alone would make her Inconsistently Heinous?

boltons are sick

On 12/28/2023 at 6:07 PM, Jaenara Belarys said:

@Lord of Raventree Hall, at this point with how this guy's threads go every single time, I would just suggest that people simply mute/ignore him. 

I've done that (but I will admit, it's not wholly successful. I'm only here because I wanted to read this thread out of boredom and me having the flaw of liking to witness people I disagree with get absolutely dogged on). 

You’d think they would have apologized instead of doublint down when I called out the lies. Aftet the second time, again no apologizing. But hey they love Cersei, perhaps thst is one of the reasons : She also loves to just make up others motivations and act like it is fact once she has decided upon it. 

4 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

You’d think they would have apologized instead of doublint down when I called out the lies. Aftet the second time, again no apologizing.

I dunno. I haven't seen you reference a single wiki in any of your posts about what you think or have previously said. So I believe him.

Edited by Alester Florent

On 12/31/2023 at 1:47 AM, Alester Florent said:

I dunno. I haven't seen you reference a single wiki in any of your posts about what you think or have previously said. So I believe him.

I never said that and a link to what defamation is lol. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation

Freudian Excuse =\= okay to murder people (and to be honest I think Ramsay has a more compelling Freudian Excuse than Cersei), also Cersei was behaving inappropriately with Jaime before her Mother died, factor in her cruelty to Tyrion, Melara and multiple other innocent people I think it is clear that Cersei is just a horrible person.

Also, this has been done to death, why is there another thread on it?

Edited by Craving Peaches

I should probably leave this topic alone but about poor Melara.... 

She must have had tremendously bad eyesight to fall down that well.  And she must have drowned extremely quickly to die before Cersei could have summoned help by screaming blue murder until some guards, servants or nightwatchmen arrived to see what all the fuss was about; or before Cersei could lower a bucket on a rope so at least she had something to hold onto until help arrived.

What Maggy tells Melara is

A Feast for Crows - Cersei VIII

"Not Jaime, nor any other man," said Maggy. "Worms will have your maidenhead. Your death is here tonight, little one. Can you smell her breath? She is very close."

Now you can read that in a poetic sense, in that in an impersonal metaphysical sense death is nearby, stalking her, creeping up on her.  Or you can read it in a literal sense, that the person who kills her by pushing her down the well is stood right next to her (since when was Death a "She" rather than an "It"?)...

And as for helping her:

A Feast for Crows - Cersei IX

She could still hear Melara Hetherspoon insisting that if they never spoke about the prophecies, they would not come true. She was not so silent in the well, though. She screamed and shouted.

So it seems she didn't hit her head on the way down the well shaft and drown while unconscious.  She is shouting and screaming for help.  Cersei though doesn't once in her recollections ever indicate that she did anything to help.  In fact her memories of Melara are all negative because of Melara's revealed infatuation with Jaime, a clear motive for Cersei's actions.

And then there's the walk of shame

A Dance with Dragons - Cersei II

The queen began to see familiar faces. A bald man with bushy side-whiskers frowned down from a window with her father's frown, and for an instant looked so much like Lord Tywin that she stumbled. A young girl sat beneath a fountain, drenched in spray, and stared at her with Melara Hetherspoon's accusing eyes

Why accusing eyes?  GRRM in his classic style, drips information and clues to us bit by bit.  You can take a whitewashing or defence lawyer's argument that you can't prove Cersei pushed her in but this is art not law and it seems pretty clear what the author is telling us.

I mean you can spin it into part of the great tragedy of Cersei's life that she lost her closest friend at such a young age

A Feast for Crows - Cersei V

Taena's wit always cheered her. Cersei had not had a friend she so enjoyed since Melara Hetherspoon, and Melara had turned out to be a greedy little schemer with ideas above her station. I should not think ill of her. She's dead and drowned, and she taught me never to trust anyone but Jaime.

but that is to see her as she sees herself, always a victim (with the dead girl the wrongdoer and Cersei the injured party!) and her pov is given to us to explain her actions not justify them, a distinction that seems fairly straightforward.