Haruki Murakami anyone?

Calibandar

23 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Gee, you must be so fun at parties.

:lol:

If this discussion has made your hackles rise, let me put you at ease with a compliment.

You are in fact a keen judge of character, just from our small interaction. I am excellent fun at parties, as you rightly observed.

May this valuable trait continue to serve you well.

I’ve been holding off reading Norwegian Wood and Kafka on the Shore until the weather gets really rainy/moody - I think his writing is very easy to read, but atmospheric - and kind of a simple/deep prose with surreality, like Delillo.

Last year, when looking for books by him at the library, the only one available was “What I Talk about When I Talk About Running”, which I oddly found very inspiring, both about fitness and getting older, and his parallels with writing and creativity.  Highly recommend.

13 hours ago, IFR said:

If this discussion has made your hackles rise, let me put you at ease with a compliment.

You are in fact a keen judge of character, just from our small interaction. I am excellent fun at parties, as you rightly observed.

May this valuable trait continue to serve you well.

Points for the save.

Still, I recommend curbing the impulse to correct other people's language, unless you can find some parties that are explicitly grammar-themed.

3 hours ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Points for the save.

Thank you.:cheers:

3 hours ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Still, I recommend curbing the impulse to correct other people's language, unless you can find some parties that are explicitly grammar-themed.

I think the problem is the necessity in intepreting just the text itself.

From my perspective, I saw a little error, and because this is a board full of pedantics like myself, it seemed only natural to provide a gentle correction to a slightly incorrect statement. I didn't think anything of it beyond that.

To you, perhaps, in pure text form it came off as someone leaping at the opportunity to smugly show everyone how smart they are by publicly showing how wrong you are.

I think if this had been a personal interaction and you were able to perceive my tone and body language, you would have seen that no hostility was intended and it was a simple off the cuff remark.

But now we both understand where the other is coming from, and we can move on peacefully and with good regard for each other.

On 2/10/2024 at 12:00 AM, VigoTheCarpathian said:

Last year, when looking for books by him at the library, the only one available was “What I Talk about When I Talk About Running”, which I oddly found very inspiring, both about fitness and getting older, and his parallels with writing and creativity.  Highly recommend.

Loved it myself. I cannot get over the fact he ran the “original” Greek marathon. His description of bonking when the sun hit him hard and the van was driving on the asphalt road besides him stuck with me. The dead little critters on the road hit by cars under the burning sun. And him running and getting rattled.

Fascinating also by the fact he run that Japanese long Ultra marathon with people in the area doing it for years like it’s something normal.