Maybe all the lies and secrets are the point

46 minutes ago, Hippocras said:

Can you sumarize a bit without sending us all there? I am time limited.

It was debunked by George:

I went to an appearance by GRRM and Michelle Fairley in Melbourne tonight & asked GRRM a question during the book signing at the end. He was signing my DVD cover (sorry people, Google Books!) and I asked whether he puts any codes into his books because people are talking about them. He suddenly looked interested and said "What kind of codes?" It was a fast paced book signing, so I really only had a few moments to explain. I said that it could be something like the Lord Commander's raven screaming "Corn! Corn! Corn!" (verbally saying the exclamation marks) which would mean somebody is going to die (no time to explain the future vs present tense). He said a very definite "No", then commented that people must have found lots of evidence and joked that if its there its accidental.

On 3/9/2024 at 5:01 PM, House Cambodia said:

Oh, thanks for that - it's saved me wasted hours. Pity it's been debunked though.

Thanks for the link anyway; I like codes (and from the quote above, sounds like George does too!). I wanted to see how the theory developed, but we seem to start in the middle when the idea has got really overdeveloped; and suffers from the problem of all code theories for these books - danger, violence and plotting happen all the time, so anything could predict them.

2 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

Thanks for the link anyway; I like codes (and from the quote above, sounds like George does too!). I wanted to see how the theory developed, but we seem to start in the middle when the idea has got really overdeveloped; and suffers from the problem of all code theories for these books - danger, violence and plotting happen all the time, so anything could predict them.

Yeah. Seems to me the OP uncovered so many examples where it seems to 'work' that it's likely GRRM was doing something like this subconsciously (loves his threes - must be his Catholic background ;-) ). But yeah, any "predictions" are so general as to be less than useful even if true.

17 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Yeah. Seems to me the OP uncovered so many examples where it seems to 'work' that it's likely GRRM was doing something like this subconsciously (loves his threes - must be his Catholic background ;-) ). But yeah, any "predictions" are so general as to be less than useful even if true.

Well, the fact that George was even interested enough to ask about the code could be kind of telling?

But, like Ran said in that thread, it's really not in George's interest to provide a code that could be deciphered so specifically. This isn't to say that he doesn't embed clues, etc. - just that they are much more symbolic or thematic in nature. All the better to tie in with other themes and characters, making the books feel organic.

3 hours ago, Sandy Clegg said:

Well, the fact that George was even interested enough to ask about the code could be kind of telling?

But, like Ran said in that thread, it's really not in George's interest to provide a code that could be deciphered so specifically. This isn't to say that he doesn't embed clues, etc. - just that they are much more symbolic or thematic in nature. All the better to tie in with other themes and characters, making the books feel organic.

He's gone on record saying he usually drops info in three hints: one very subtle, one more obvious, and the last basically telling you what happened. The catspaw employer is usually the example I see given.