Is A United Westeros The Better Westeros?

8 hours ago, KingoftheRiversandtheHills said:

What does Westeros gain from being united besides unity against outside threats?

On one hand, there are fewer wars.

On the other hand, if wars happen, they tend to be massive.

So while this:

5 hours ago, Sevalemer said:

Less war.

Is definitely true, this:

5 hours ago, Sevalemer said:

Less death.

is most likely not. But it's difficult to tell, so...

10 hours ago, KingoftheRiversandtheHills said:

What does Westeros gain from being united besides unity against outside threats?

The ol mafia saying about war is bad for buisness and even low level raiding or land grabbing wont happen as often under one strong centralised rule and the  threat of punishment that can go with it for breaking the king/hands peace. Theres limited infighting and 0 chance of one kingdom trying to conquer the others as there was in the past. Also weaker overlords of regions (tullys and tyrells) have the backing of the crown to help wrangle their more.powerful vassals

A unified westeros has trade free flowing through it. The north is better off connected to the breadbaskets of riverlands and reach,dornes niche hot climate foodstuffs haveva bigger market, the lannisters gold can flow freely around the 7 and even the seemingly useless ironborn can offload their essos raiding high value/niche goods at knock off prices (and their  probably cheap slave/thrall mined raw metals)

Finaly theres massive advantages in centralised goverments power to orgainse large scale projects or deal with economic/social/ issues ,now most kings have waged thisnpower to make war abroad or internaly in westeros but in theory a less lazy king could do major good. Ie a less lazy robert could have fixed the nightswatch for ned , integrated the ironborn more, helped the vale put down the clans for good to make travel.there safe etc etc

12 hours ago, KingoftheRiversandtheHills said:

Trade, infrastructure etc etc. Easiest way to answer is comparing a united Europe in the form of the EU (with all its respect for sovereign rights of individual 'kingdoms') with Europe in the 1940s

Gotta keep in mind the former kingdoms didn´t want to be united, they only were because the kings weren´t stupid enough to argue with dragons. ;)

And the more centralised a government gets the higher the risk it´s mis-governed. I mean what does a king growing fat in KL know about the needs of people in the North or Dorne ?

I think Westeros would be better off with independant kingdoms that can agree on some basic common benefits, e.g. free travel and trade.

23 minutes ago, PrettyLittlePsycho said:

Gotta keep in mind the former kingdoms didn´t want to be united, they only were because the kings weren´t stupid enough to argue with dragons. ;)

And the more centralised a government gets the higher the risk it´s mis-governed. I mean what does a king growing fat in KL know about the needs of people in the North or Dorne ?

I think Westeros would be better off with independant kingdoms that can agree on some basic common benefits, e.g. free travel and trade.

I'm with the Great Jon as far as a united westeros goes