More Hope for House Frey

• Violating a political agreement = punishable by death
  • Betraying your liege lord = free pass

Also, let's be real here. Walder didn't betray and murder Robb because of the violation of the agreement. Walder murdered Robb and his company because he was convinced Robb would lose the war, and Walder didn't want to be on the losing side. Walder Frey doesn't give a shit about morals or loyalty, he just wants to be on the winning side. That's why he was extremely late at the Trident.

I need to find a source for this, but didn't GRRM confirm that Walder would have betrayed Robb even if Robb hadn't broken his oath? 

Edited by Ser Arthurs Dawn

3 hours ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:
  • Violating a political agreement = punishable by death
  • Betraying your liege lord = free pass

Also, let's be real here. Walder didn't betray and murder Robb because of the violation of the agreement. Walder murdered Robb and his company because he was convinced Robb would lose the war, and Walder didn't want to be on the losing side. Walder Frey doesn't give a shit about morals or loyalty, he just wants to be on the winning side. That's why he was extremely late at the Trident.

I need to find a source for this, but didn't GRRM confirm that Walder would have betrayed Robb even if Robb hadn't broken his oath? 

He did, and the Freys were already shown considering jumping ship at Harrenhal even before hearing about Robb's marriage with Jeyne Westerling. 

Though the scale and horror of the Red Wedding were largely due to how extremely petty and spiteful Walder is.

Robb's error was far less of breaking his oath than trusting Walder Frey and most of his family in the first place. 

Edited by Terrorthatflapsinthenight9

On 4/23/2024 at 10:27 AM, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

I argued why the Freys will not all die.  The Freys do not deserve to die because the Starks were guilty of breaking an oath. 

The demise of the family is likely if a Stark or a Baratheon were to win King Aerys Targaryen's throne.  However, I do not find that likely nor desirable.  Euron winning the throne will be the death of everybody.  I still believe it will be Daenerys who will win the throne in the end and justice from Her Majesty will give the Freys the best hope for fairness.  There is another leader who can give the Freys fair justice and that is Aegon Blackfyre.  It will be more  of a political move for the latter since he will require the support of powerful houses like the Freys.  Aegon could offer to pardon the Freys if they succeed, and that is easily accepted because the Starks were rebelling at the time of the wedding, in exchange for economic and military assistance from Walder. 

The pardon before the help.  Receive the pardon first.  Walder has learned from Robb's treachery.