Dreamsongs by GRRM

lucretia96

I bought a used but very well maitained copy of GRRM: a RRetrospective a couple of months back and I've been reading it off and one ever since. I'm up to the last section. I liked the The Fortress and particularly enjoyed the abigouous ending. I'm having a hard time getting into The Skin Trade. Does it pick up?

Well, I just read The Way of Cross and Dragon, Bitterblooms, The Lonely Songs of Laren Dorr, and The Ice Dragon today. What a set of stories! Laren Dorr is my favorite in the book so far (I'm reading them in order), it captures melancholy and regret so well, and twists together into a perfect story with the ending. GRRM really does have a feel for the short story form.

I just got the book this afternoon! I managed to wolf down some of the stories too, before I had to go out. My favorite so far is A Second Kind of Loneliness - it was depressing and frustrating, but so brilliant too! The ending is not what I expected at all. In fact - hang on, spoiler:

SPOILER: The Second Kind of Loneliness
I expected the relief ship to be captained by Karen, the girl the main character was obsessing over. But instead it was revealed that the protagonist destroyed the relief ship in a moment of madness!

In the end, I just wondered if the entire story was a mad illusion in the nameless protagonist's head, but didn't have time to dwell on it. I want to go back and re-read it, but I have to go get ready to go out in a minute. In any case, I loved how GRRM got inside the main character's head. It felt so incredibly intimate.

I read the The Lonely Songs of Laren Dorr (Bazz: it's now one of my faves). One of my first thoughts was, "Damn, I missed this man's prose!" His prose is so delicious! I feel like gorging on it as if it was a feast. It's so evocative and beautiful and lyrical and rich. I sound like such a n00b to GRRM, but I feel like I rediscover his magic each time I read him anew. And tiny spoiler:

SPOILER: Laren Dorr
Laren Dorr is a guy! That totally took me by surprise. I listened to GRRM's reading of it on Second Life, and somehow the mention of Sharra and the knowledge that Sharra was a girl made me assume Laren Dorr was a girl too. Another interesting thing was about the gods - they're called the Seven. Speaking of which, that ghastly demonic thing in the sky was absolutely creepy. I don't know if I'd have the nerve to try any of GRRM's horror stories yet, if that's the kind of stuff he can pull in fantasy.

Also, Laren Dorr's songs are...trippy. Way trippy. It's like something you'd see/hear on acid. But they were so powerful and amazing.

A Song for Lya, which I had heard the most of and was really looking forward to, got more a "meh" reaction from me. Aside from the...

SPOILER: A Song for Lya
The protagonists are named Lyanna and Robb! That was an exciting discovery, even if I don't like Lyanna Stark!

The Way of Cross and Dragon was a really neat and well-written story, but not as amazing as some of his others. I thought his Liars was a very clever and insightful concept, and I couldn't help but laugh at the retelling of the Jesus-and-Judas story.

I've already read Sandkings and The Ice Dragon, but I was really excited to finally get my hands on Nightflyers in this book. Did it remind anyone else of the first story from Tuf Voyaging? Just a little bit? In any case, it was pretty sinister, and I really loved it. Nightflyers is one of my faves.

I will have to read more tomorrow!

Archived