Andrzej Sapkowski

Calibandar

The Last Wish sounds interesting, but I'm a bit more interested in the Hussite Trilogy, since I have always loved this part of history. Luckily, it is available in German.

I just have one question, regarding:

[quote name='anguy' post='1348507' date='May 9 2008, 13.13']Yeah. One reason why I like Sapkowski, especially his later works so much is reread value. For example I think ASOIAF is better, still I've read Witcher saga more often. Not to find some hidden hints from author like R+L=J in ASOIAF but reading the dialogues is pure pleasure, especially when dwarwes are involved. [b]His Narrenturm from hussite trilogy is the same - quite boring and long for first time read but gets better with every reread. [/b][/quote]

Can you explain some more! Is it boring, because you need to be somewhat familiar with the backstory, or is it an aspect of the narrative?

I don't know about the Hussite trilogy (since that hasn't yet been translated into either Spanish or English), but I do have to say through five of the Witcher novels that Sapkowski does have a flair for dialogue. And Regis has to be a quite interesting character, having just reached the end of [i]Bautismo de fuego[/i]. The series is getting darker, but the characterizations are quite good. I'm impressed, enough so to spend $40-50 every other month to import the new edition of the books as they are being re-released in Spain.

[i]
Can you explain some more! Is it boring, because you need to be somewhat familiar with the backstory, or is it an aspect of the narrative? [/i]

well, for one, it would be very useful to know Latin. Knowledge of history is a great asset too; at least you'll be able to tell what really happened and what is alternative history.

I first read Narrenturm as soon as it came out, years ago, and was so underwhelmed that I never bothered getting the other ones. Last year I discovered a friend of mine has the trilogy so I read it. And loved it! it's a really, really good story, I think even better written than the saga, and for a more "erudite" audience. (still didn't understand the Latin, though).

Well, if much of it is in Latin, I'll certainly read it once it's released in Spanish translation (since I'm sure the English translation is at least 5-6 years away, if not further). I have no problems reading that language and if it's as good as Eco's [i]The Name of the Rose[/i] in its incorporation of Latin, I'll be all over it like white on rice! :D

Ah, all the more better then!

By the way, what's up with your namesake's sexual preferences in the series. I've seen a few passing references to changes... :P

[quote name='Filippa Eilhart' post='1583120' date='Nov 9 2008, 19.45']well, for one, it would be very useful to know Latin. Knowledge of history is a great asset too; at least you'll be able to tell what really happened and what is alternative history.

I first read Narrenturm as soon as it came out, years ago, and was so underwhelmed that I never bothered getting the other ones. Last year I discovered a friend of mine has the trilogy so I read it. And loved it! it's a really, really good story, I think even better written than the saga, and for a more "erudite" audience. (still didn't understand the Latin, though).[/quote]

Thank you, I shouldn't have problem with the latin. Is Narrenturm the Polish title as well?

[quote name='Red Sun' post='1582968' date='Nov 9 2008, 09.18']The Last Wish sounds interesting, but I'm a bit more interested in the Hussite Trilogy, since I have always loved this part of history. Luckily, it is available in German.[/quote]

OK just a warning - be prepared that it's not strictly historical novel. I thought it, and was a little dissapointed at the beginning. Of course the history is accurate, there are just some fantasy elements mixed in. It I think I might disclose it without the use of spoilers because it becomes pretty clear after first 20-30 pages of book.

[quote]Can you explain some more! Is it boring, because you need to be somewhat familiar with the backstory, or is it an aspect of the narrative?[/quote]

Well it's relatively slow paced when compared to Witcher saga. I've read 1st and 2nd book and it's more about (good and funny) dialogues than action. And I don't know much latin too, but you can figure out what most of sentences mean.

[quote name='Filippa Eilhart' post='1583191' date='Nov 9 2008, 13.58']sourceresses are very open minded.[/quote]

In a total different way, apparently so are vampires ;)

And for those curious about it, here is the link to my review of [url="http://ofblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/andrzej-sapkowski-blood-of-elves_09.html"]Blood of Elves[/url]. I liked it quite a bit and I provided copious citations to support my conclusions.

• 1 month later...
I've read [i]The Last Wish[/i] and while I think the stories are entertaining I feel a bit disappointed, I guess I was expecting something really impressive.
A question about the other two books available in French. How do [u]The Sword of Destiny[/u] and [u]Blood of the Elves[/u] compare to [u]The Last Wish[/u]?

[quote name='automne' post='1628558' date='Dec 23 2008, 11.55']A question about the other two books available in French. How do [u]The Sword of Destiny[/u] and [u]Blood of the Elves[/u] compare to [u]The Last Wish[/u]?[/quote]I can only talk about "the sword of destiny", but I would say it's similar, though there is more plot, of course.

I reviewed both books a few months ago ([url="http://ofblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/andrzej-sapkowski-la-espada-del-destino.html"]here's[/url] the one for [i]Sword of Destiny[/i]) and I've had to say that each goes into more depth than did [i]The Last Wish[/i]. Right now, [i]Sword of Destiny[/i] might be my favorite in the Geralt Saga, in part due to the characterizations in stories such as "Something More," where Geralt and Yennefer's tangled romance has much more depth to it. In [i]Blood of Elves[/i], Sapkowski opens up the setting and also carries on some impressive conversations about ecological degradation, how one's sexuality develops, and so forth. It's a diverting read, if sometimes dark.

Should mention that [i]Blood of Elves[/i] is a full fledged novel and not just a collection of short stories. It's also like AGOT in that it sets up a lot of stuff that will happen later. It introduces several new characters so Geralt is not the main focus of the story though he's still an important part of it. I put it on par with [i]The Last Wis[/i]h which I thought was very good.

Thanks for the information. Though I don't know what to do now.
[u]Sword of Destiny[/u] sounds tempting as I would love to read more about Geralt and Yennefer's romance :)
[u]Blood of Elves[/u] sounds equally tempting as it is a novel. I tend to like novels more than short stories.
Well, I might wait for the paperback edition so I can buy both.

You read [i]Sword of Destiny[/i] first, as it contains the first introduction of Ciri, who plays a very important role in [i]Blood of Elves[/i]. Simple as that. It was strange, to say the least, for the English translation of the series to skip [i]Sword of Destiny[/i].

Archived