Top Tier Fighters.

The Young Lion

Syrio killed two men, one of them indirectly. He crushed one man's throat, and the other man was killed (well, it sounded mortal, anyways) when one of his fellow guardsmen took a swing at Syrio, who got out of the way in such a fashion that the sword ended up in the poor lout's head.

He also poked out one man's eye (possibly the same man who was killed by his friend) and broke the hand and kneecap of another.

His stick was not broken at any point during the fight with the guardsmen.

• 2 months later...

sorry to revive an old thread, but i didn't see a similar newer one to post in it. What about Ned Stark? from what i recall he didn't like the taste of battle but was a good fighter non the less for the upper tier, he did kill Arthur Dayne who you all listed so highly. in my opinion he's defenetly for the upper tier. and Biter could be the best fighter without swords...

Seven men went against three when Ned fought Ser Arthur Dayne.

And Ser Arthur Dayne almost killed Ned; Ned would've lost if Howland Reed hadn't stepped in to save him. Although I think Ned was an above-average fighter, I don't think he was much more than that.

I think Martin himself said that Brandon was the fighter and Ned was the strategist. Eddard Stark was quite possibly one of the best battle commanders of his lifetime, but I don't believe, one on one, he would have survived against the likes of the Kingslayer, the Hound, or the like. Arthur Dayne would've cut him down if not for Howland Reed.

Anyway, my own top tier are...

Syrio, Jaime (with two hands, obviously), Sandor, Gregor, Loras, Theon, Barristan the Bold, Strong Belwas, Drogo, Anguy.

And these are all, more or less, in their preferred form of combat. Theon, for example, doesn't strike me as a particularly adept swordsman or rider - however, his skill with a bow seems to considerable. Same with Anguy. Similarly, while I don't think Loras is the best fighter on foot, his skill with on horseback is one of the best.

I'll also give an honorable mention to Brienne and Oberyn. I don't necessarily think they're the best fighters, per se, but they're one of the most inventive. Oberyn, given the time to prepare, and knowing what he's up against, obviously can best even folk like the Mountain (only to get done in by his sense of pride and need for justice). Brienne also shows that she's highly inventive, such as by tackling Loras from horseback or causing a rockfall to take out a passing ship.

I'd have included Hotah, but he hasn't really done anything yet that I think noteworthy. When he slew Arys, it's not like Oakheart was in top form - he'd already taken a few wounds on the way to Hotah, and anyone in Areo's position only needed to have a decent sense of timing to take advantage of the considerable vulnerability Arys left himself open to.

I'd say put Drogo in the top tier. He may not do too good against an armored Westerosi knight, but he was unbeatable in his own element. Never defeated in combat in a society where combat was pretty much a daily affair is pretty impressive.

Once you knocked Drogo off of his horse he was an average fighter at best...in my opinion.

Top fighters? Lesse

The Sword of the Morning because he has a cool nickname.

Strong Belwas because he's a badass.

Jaime with hands

Barristan the Bold

Bronn and Sandor.

That's my top list, Brienne is a step below and not enough information of people like Hotah or Andrik the Unsmiling

Seven men went against three when Ned fought Ser Arthur Dayne.

And Ser Arthur Dayne almost killed Ned; Ned would've lost if Howland Reed hadn't stepped in to save him. Although I think Ned was an above-average fighter, I don't think he was much more than that.

I think Martin himself said that Brandon was the fighter and Ned was the strategist. Eddard Stark was quite possibly one of the best battle commanders of his lifetime, but I don't believe, one on one, he would have survived against the likes of the Kingslayer, the Hound, or the like. Arthur Dayne would've cut him down if not for Howland Reed.

Anyway, my own top tier are...

Syrio, Jaime (with two hands, obviously), Sandor, Gregor, Loras, Theon, Barristan the Bold, Strong Belwas, Drogo, Anguy.

And these are all, more or less, in their preferred form of combat. Theon, for example, doesn't strike me as a particularly adept swordsman or rider - however, his skill with a bow seems to considerable. Same with Anguy. Similarly, while I don't think Loras is the best fighter on foot, his skill with on horseback is one of the best.

I'll also give an honorable mention to Brienne and Oberyn. I don't necessarily think they're the best fighters, per se, but they're one of the most inventive. Oberyn, given the time to prepare, and knowing what he's up against, obviously can best even folk like the Mountain (only to get done in by his sense of pride and need for justice). Brienne also shows that she's highly inventive, such as by tackling Loras from horseback or causing a rockfall to take out a passing ship.

I'd have included Hotah, but he hasn't really done anything yet that I think noteworthy. When he slew Arys, it's not like Oakheart was in top form - he'd already taken a few wounds on the way to Hotah, and anyone in Areo's position only needed to have a decent sense of timing to take advantage of the considerable vulnerability Arys left himself open to.

There are just entirely too many to name and I don't know that you could really categorize them as a top 10 list. I don't consider Theon even remotely close to being a top tier fighter. He may be an excellent archer but that is the best that I would give him. Isn't Anguy an archer too? If you run a charge of horse against an archers line they'll be ridden down. Drogo...I consider him to be a cavalry man as are most Dothraki. I think that you beat these guys by getting them off of their horses.

I saw that someone referenced Willas Tyrell...I don't remember much being said about his fighting except that he was supposed to have been a warrior before the Red Viper kicked his ass.

Syrio...this is interesting to me because he says that he was the 1st Sword in Braavos. However, I only remember him fighting the Lannister household guards with a stick and then Fighting Meryn Trant (was it Trant) of the Kingsguard. Personally, and I know that this is off of the subject, I am beginning to think that Syrio may be Jacquen. There is never any REAL confirmation that I remember of Syrio's death. After Ned is killed...Arya is being taken to the Wall with some of the baddies from the dungeon. Jaquen is one of them. Nobody knows (except Yoren) who Arya really is or what her name is. Gendry knows later. But somehow, Jaquen knows.

Hi

After reading through this thread, and updating my site with the relevant information, I was curious as to which fighters you would place in yout top tier, second tier and lower tier.

I will compile the data and results and put them on my site with the relevant placement for each fighter mentioned.

My List:

Top Tier:

Syrio Forrel, Robert Baratheon , Gregor Clegane , Sandor Clegane, Jaime Lannister, Arthur Dayne , Gerold Hightower, Barristan Selmy,Oberyn Martell, Rhaegar Targaryen, Garlan Tyrell , Loras Tyrell,Brienne of Tarth

Second Tier:

Areo Hotah , Brynden Tully , Greatjon Umber, Smalljon Umber ,

Bronn , Shagga, Timmet, Khal Drogo, Strong Belwas, Randyl Tarly,Thoros, Jon Snow, Victarion Greyjoy , Lyn Corbray , Gerold Dayne

Update

Thanks to everyone thats contributed toi the discussion, great stuff!

I am in the process of updating my site with a page of analysis from everyones posts in this thread, here is the link:

http://home.urban.net.au/~harlequin/toptier.htm

Its a work in progress, i have been busy and will update it as i go.

Keep posting your lists if you havent done so :)

The Hound

my top 10

morningsword

jaime

barristan

eddard(he killed arthur dayne!!)

oberyn

hound

loras

brynden

arya:)

and samwell tarly of course

Well, I don't have a list, but I think these guys deserve a mention.

Aegon the Dragon- Every Westerosi citeizen's idea of a complete badass. If reputation really counts, then Aegon clearly should be in the top five. Even with dragons, everyone viewed him as quite a tactician. I don't think he would a carry a sword like Blackfyre unless he was in the habit of using it.

Brandon Stark- Never seen him, but Martin himself says he's the real swordsman of the Stark family.

Benjen Stark-He's First Ranger for a damn good reason, I'm sure.

Robb Stark-Undefeated in battle.

Well, I don't have a list, but I think these guys deserve a mention.

Aegon the Dragon- Every Westerosi citeizen's idea of a complete badass. If reputation really counts, then Aegon clearly should be in the top five. Even with dragons, everyone viewed him as quite a tactician. I don't think he would a carry a sword like Blackfyre unless he was in the habit of using it.

Brandon Stark- Never seen him, but Martin himself says he's the real swordsman of the Stark family.

Benjen Stark-He's First Ranger for a damn good reason, I'm sure.

Robb Stark-Undefeated in battle.

I think that you're confusing 'battle' with 'battle planning.' Tywin & Robb were battle commanders foremost. Yes, Robb fought too but he is not known as a 'master swordsman' by any extent. I may be wrong but I thought that Jon Snow was the better fighter of 2. Robb was stronger but Jon was quicker and more graceful.

Benjen Stark...1st Ranger for a reason. Probably a wight now.

Brandon Stark was the better sword but that's not to say that Ned wasn't any good either. Ned is a battle commander who happened to be a great sword too. He did kill Dayne. What great sword did Robb slay in battle?

I can't really comment on any of the Targs because I have to admit that they really didn't interest me and I really need to go back and reread about them.

Why didn't you mention Robert? He was the man that nobody could withstand in battle.

Gregor was awesome (even though I hate him).

I think that one of the most unsung swords is Bronn. He is a badass with manners like Dr. House (without the intellect obviously).

The Red Viper...he whipped Gregor's ass and would have killed him too had he not gone through all of the bullshit with making him say the name.

Thoros. Even though he won melees do you really think that people don't fight as hard in melees? They fight as if they had battle grade weapons in their hands.

Barristan...he's an old man and he's still kicking people's asses. Titan's Bastard.

The Hound.

Robb Stark never won anything where he wasn't surrounded by a dozen men, though. He was an adept battle commander certainly, but more isn't certain.

First Ranger, meanwhile, isn't going to be based off of battle prowess. It's a matter of your ability to scout and track, as well as lead others. Few leaders are the best warrior out of their unit; skill with a weapon does not equate to ability to lead, nor vice-versa.

Also, add Bronn onto my list. Forgot about him. He strikes me as an exceedingly dangerous, capable man.

And my list only includes those we actually see in the books. I'm sure Aegon, the Dragon Knight, Ser Arthur Dayne, and the others were highly skilled, but the best any of them receive is a flashback, if that.

I think that you're confusing 'battle' with 'battle planning.' Tywin & Robb were battle commanders foremost. Yes, Robb fought too but he is not known as a 'master swordsman' by any extent. I may be wrong but I thought that Jon Snow was the better fighter of 2. Robb was stronger but Jon was quicker and more graceful.

Benjen Stark...1st Ranger for a reason. Probably a wight now.

Brandon Stark was the better sword but that's not to say that Ned wasn't any good either. Ned is a battle commander who happened to be a great sword too. He did kill Dayne. What great sword did Robb slay in battle?

I can't really comment on any of the Targs because I have to admit that they really didn't interest me and I really need to go back and reread about them.

Why didn't you mention Robert? He was the man that nobody could withstand in battle.

Gregor was awesome (even though I hate him).

I think that one of the most unsung swords is Bronn. He is a badass with manners like Dr. House (without the intellect obviously).

The Red Viper...he whipped Gregor's ass and would have killed him too had he not gone through all of the bullshit with making him say the name.

Thoros. Even though he won melees do you really think that people don't fight as hard in melees? They fight as if they had battle grade weapons in their hands.

Barristan...he's an old man and he's still kicking people's asses. Titan's Bastard.

The Hound.

I didn't mention any of them because because each of those fighters has been discussed already for 6 pages straight.

I saw that someone referenced Willas Tyrell...I don't remember much being said about his fighting except that he was supposed to have been a warrior before the Red Viper kicked his ass.

I got the impression Willas was very young at the time of his accident; that his father entered him in the tourny when he was too young.

Fighters of the highest caliber... Barriston the Bold, Ser Arthur Dayne, Jamie Lannister (Pre Harrenhal), Gregor Clegane, Sandor Clegane.

Of course Robert Baratheon deserves mention as well, and I think Areo Hotah is up there but I am not sure.

I got the impression Willas was very young at the time of his accident; that his father entered him in the tourny when he was too young.

Fighters of the highest caliber... Barriston the Bold, Ser Arthur Dayne, Jamie Lannister (Pre Harrenhal), Gregor Clegane, Sandor Clegane.

Of course Robert Baratheon deserves mention as well, and I think Areo Hotah is up there but I am not sure.

I can't really comment on any of the Dornishmen. I'm guilty of not paying much attention to them other than the Red Viper. I liked him.

Barristan is still a badass.

Jamie Lannister speaks for himself.

many listed Thoros too low, he was the melee winner at the Hand's turney from what i recall, that means he outbested Sendor and Jaime...

Yeah, I forgot about Thoros, Robert Baratheon as well.

While I figure part of Thoros' skill was because of his wildfire blades, which are going to make even the best of fighters a little cautious and thrown off guard, it still takes a good amount of skill to best everyone, even with an advantage like that.

Thoros at least warrants an honorable mention to my list; it's uncertain how well he'd fair without a wildfire blade, but I'd bet he's around Brienne's level, roughly.

There's a rather extensive list of people that could be considered top-tier warriors in one way or another.

Archived