Top Tier Fighters.

The Young Lion

I would put Ned Stark at the same level or better than Jaime Lannister, during the fight Jaime's own men fear he was losing and helped him, he also beat and survived the most epic uneven fight of the series, Ned could have died earlier in the story but still was deadly in battle.

Robert Baratheon was legendary deadly in battle, of course he was a bit fat on GoT.

I would put Ned Stark at the same level or better than Jaime Lannister, during the fight Jaime's own men fear he was losing and helped him, he also beat and survived the most epic uneven fight of the series, Ned could have died earlier in the story but still was deadly in battle.

Ned in the show is noticeably better than Ned in the book, though. They specifically change a few lines to improve him. I agree that, in the show, Jaime had started to look a little worried/enjoying the challenge and Ned had started to look happy when they stabbed him from behind.

Ned in the show is noticeably better than Ned in the book, though. They specifically change a few lines to improve him. I agree that, in the show, Jaime had started to look a little worried/enjoying the challenge and Ned had started to look happy when they stabbed him from behind.

I know the show is a different thing, but still we have the whole series talking us about the White Bull, Sword in the Morning the rest of Aerys KG, even Jaime repeating several times how good they were and it was Ned who finished it :) , also we have to mention all the battles that Ned fought and won.

Jaime has a great skill, have participated and won several tourneys but on battle hes barely mentioned, fighting in tourney is way different than real battles that's what I mean.

I know the show is a different thing, but still we have the whole series talking us about the White Bull, Sword in the Morning the rest of Aerys KG, even Jaime repeating several times how good they were and it was Ned who finished it :) , also we have to mention all the battles that Ned fought and won.

Jaime has a great skill, have participated and won several tourneys but on battle hes barely mentioned, fighting in tourney is way different than real battles that's what I mean.

First, I agree about Ned as a force on a battlefield, not in a tourney.

Second, though, Jaime with 2 hands sounds like a demon in either setting. At the WW, when he knew the battle was lost, he pulled a Richard III and almost cut his way through to Robb, killing I think 10 on the way before being overwhelmed by sheer numbers. It was enough of a performance that other northerners were suggesting he's too dangerous to be left alive.

We also hear of him fighting real battles as a teen, and impressing knights like Barristan the Bold.

First, I agree about Ned as a force on a battlefield, not in a tourney.

Second, though, Jaime with 2 hands sounds like a demon in either setting. At the WW, when he knew the battle was lost, he pulled a Richard III and almost cut his way through to Robb, killing I think 10 on the way before being overwhelmed by sheer numbers. It was enough of a performance that other northerners were suggesting he's too dangerous to be left alive.

We also hear of him fighting real battles as a teen, and impressing knights like Barristan the Bold.

Well, that's why I would put them in similar levels and why I mention Robert Baratheon, thing that I wouldn't do with guys like Darkstar, who haven't fought any battle (AFAIK) and all he has done so far is attack a kid, have a great fame around dornish men and born in legendary house ( which again it ended with Ned Stark)

I would put Ser Duncan The Tall on the all time list, on the D&E Stories hes still young but incredibly deadly, I can only imagine the level of him when he is LC of the Kingsguard, probably a mix between The Hound and Ser Arthur Dayne.

Jon Snow shouldn't be on anyone's list. He is a very good and very well-trained fighter for someone so young, but he's not Loras Tyrell. His focus and strength is on other things.

Basically, Jon gets his ass kicked from Castle Black to Eastwatch by Mance, and he damn well knows it. He also mentions at one point that even with Ghost and a Valyrian blade, Qhorin could have slit Jon's throat easy.

I love Jon. But he's not a top tier fighter by any means.

Anywho, my list, in no particular order:

The Best

Jaime Lannister

Barristan Selmy

Loras Tyrell

Brienne of Tarth

Gregor Clegane

Oberyn Martell

Khal Drogo

Arthur Dayne

Syrio Forel

Some of the pit fighters (can't remember their names)

The deadliest fighters aren't necessarily the best swordsmen.

I mentioned my picks for best swordsmen in an earlier post but id like to add the deadliest men to meet on the field.

Id say:

Oberyn Martell.

Howland Reed.

Poison tips the scales here, one scratch of Oberyn's spear and his opponent would die an agonizing death no matter how skilled he was with a blade.

If Meera is any indication then Howland fought with a net and trident? Ned says Arthur Dayne would have killed him if not for Howland, and the Walders say that the frog men use poisons so theres that.

Ok...I read the first 5 pages and everyone put the same 15-20 people so I'm not going to bother with a list. How the hell is Mance Rayder not getting ANY love? I saw someone on page 12 of this thread mention him but COME ON!!! He united an entire nation of fighters because of his skill at arms. Some people even put Jon Snow on their list. And Mance destroyed him. At worst, Mance is 2nd tier.

Well, we know Asha can throw a knife and an axe fairly well and at least has some respect when it comes to fighting among her own kind.

Would Asha win a melee tournament in KL...? probably not, joust? for sure not, but then if some knight challenged Asha to a fight on vessel at sea, I think I would bet on Asha then.

Rock Paper Scissors... all depends on the situation.

Syrio would likely beat any knight if said knight was unarmored, even some armored knights(if he had a proper blade, not a wooden one)... but against Gregor in a situation like Red Viper faced, I think he would loose.

Also, despite being very good, I do not think Loras is really top top... he sure is most favorite tho of many. Also isn't he like still under 20 or something?(i might be getting him confused with someone else tho. On, or off the horse... I would bet on Brienne vs him every time.

Anyways, asides from names mentioned before I really cannot make up my mind.

Ok...I read the first 5 pages and everyone put the same 15-20 people so I'm not going to bother with a list. How the hell is Mance Rayder not getting ANY love? I saw someone on page 12 of this thread mention him but COME ON!!! He united an entire nation of fighters because of his skill at arms. Some people even put Jon Snow on their list. And Mance destroyed him. At worst, Mance is 2nd tier.

That is true too.

Stark: Arya

Tarth: Brienne

Baratheon: Stanis

Lanister: Kevan

Tyrells: Olenna

Tully: Catelyn

Targaryen: Maester Aemon

House Reed: Meera(really liked her)

House Manderly: Wyman

MartelL: Arianne

Bolton: Uh.. no.. please.

Greyjoy: Asha

Tarly: Sam

Mormont: Lyanna (just cause she told Stanis off), Dacey if she was still alive.

Stark: Arya

Tarth: Brienne

Baratheon: Stanis

Lanister: Kevan

Tyrells: Olenna

Tully: Catelyn

Targaryen: Maester Aemon

House Reed: Meera(really liked her)

House Manderly: Wyman

MartelL: Arianne

Bolton: Uh.. no.. please.

Greyjoy: Asha

Tarly: Sam

Mormont: Lyanna (just cause she told Stanis off), Dacey if she was still alive.

Are you in the right thread? I think you were looking for this one.

I think Drogo should be first tier...remember, Oberyn also fought with 'almost' no armor. And he whooped gregor completely, if not for underestimating gregors tenacitya t the very end. (Even then the viper did win; gregor was in pain for weeks before finally dying, after which qyburn brought his corpse back to unlife and srated melding him with women, or whatever he was doing.

Oberyn wearing minimal armor against a giant like Gregor in unhorsed combat is far different than Drogo leading his Khalasar against a similarly sized number of armored knights.

Archived