NFL Thread

Bazzlebane

Rex has the same problem a lot of NFL QB's have that simply can not make it. They're stupid. There's no two-a-days for that. Did you not see that interview he did? He's a drooling troglodyte. The Bears should have gotten a real QB.

I think Rex was just so enraptured with the sideline hotness that is Michelle Tafoya that he couldn't get any cogent thoughts verbalized.

He did strike me as a deer in headlights. The Montanas, Favres, Elways, and Fluties of the world would have taken over that simple sideline interview, but Rex just looked retarded.

I have said it before and will say it again. Rex Grossman is Dave Kraig's bastard son. One - he can be so scorching hot and throw for 400 yards on any given day. Or throw for 20 yards with 4 picks and 3 fumbles? I think Bi-Polar is putting it mildly. Does he just have midget hands? Seems to have a tough time grabbing the football. Probably wears a size 6 shoe and hung like a fly.

He is a carbon copy of Kraig...

ALl kidding aside I may have to retract on some of my predictions - CHI has such an eradic QB and you can play the growing pains/learning the system/"but hey when he is hot" card for so long and it will get tiresome plus I can't beleive the D is going to bail them out and score like they did last year - that was once in lifetime type of performance out that unit. CHI is looking like they just might be the third best team in JV conference behind PHI and NO.

I'm a bit surprised at the Cleveland downpour. I've been looking at other sites and seeing the same thing, and while I agree that they had a shit team last year, they also got a better QB, a very good tackle, and they suffered more on defense due to injuries than any other team in 6 years. I'm not saying they're going to light it up or anything, but they should do a lot better than last year and they shouldn't be anywhere near the bottom 5.

Oakland however...ugh.

I just don't think Romeo isn't the guy to get that ship turned around, have no faith in the running game with Jammal Lewis, no faith in Brady Quinn as a rookie (even after he shredded the 3rd string Lions defense), and no faith in the abilities of Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow to be healthy. Other than that, yeah, I think the Browns could be great :P

In all seriousness, I don't consider myself to be the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to Cleveland sports, but I do think Oakland will be better than the Browns by about two games. Cleveland looks like a 3-13 or 4-12 team to me, Oakland seems more like a 6-10 type of squad. Both are bad, I just think the Browns are a bit worse.

I'm a bit surprised at the Cleveland downpour. I've been looking at other sites and seeing the same thing, and while I agree that they had a shit team last year, they also got a better QB, a very good tackle, and they suffered more on defense due to injuries than any other team in 6 years. I'm not saying they're going to light it up or anything, but they should do a lot better than last year and they shouldn't be anywhere near the bottom 5.

Oakland however...ugh.

All this is true - there is a significant fall out/disgust that has been associated with the Brownies and it is funny because there was a real positive feeling about the organization in the offseason/post draft - and then reality set for the fans once they took the field. And this is coming from a HUGE browns fans so this may be biased. Yes, they upgraded the QB for the future and despite all the Quinn bashing I think he is going to be a damn good QB and I am glad he is our guy but you really can't expect succes in 07 - hopefully he won't have to get in thrown in there till later in the year but it would appear that the two guys ahead of him are doing everything humanly possible to gift wrap the job to him. The tackle Thomas is the real deal and signing Stienbach gives them some muscle so the line is upgraded; but again they need time to opperate as unit and gel but a definite improvement. The defense - improved on the pass rush, upgraded at CB with the rookie out of UNLV/USC - he too is the real deal but I honestly feel they will have issues against the run AGAIN and this is a Defense that has given up RECORD breaking performances - monumental, I haven't seen a team give up +175 yards to individual RB's as much as I have seen them over the past few years amd yes there have been some injuries - this team has been snake bitten since they came back and that shyster probably put an ancient curse on the city as he packed his bags for that cesspool on the east coast - may you burn in hell Art Modell.

Unfortunately they are bottom 7 type team, between the chemistry that needs to be established and the division games they have to play they will be hurting for W's but this season is kind of the season with some hope because they are on the road to finally being a competitive team. Oakland is still the bottom feeders bottom feeder so even though they are suspect and more than likely one of the worst there is hope, unlike other teams. Good news is we play Oakland, Houston, Dolphins and the Bills and throw an upset or two in there who know so there can be a little celebrating on the lake this year but not much.

I just Romeo isn't the guy to get that ship turned around, have no faith in the running game with Jammal Lewis, no faith in Brady Quinn as a rookie (even after he shredded the 3rd string Lions defense), and no faith in the abilities of Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow to be healthy. Other than that, yeah, I think the Browns could be great :P

also - yes the coach is turning out to be quite Norv Turneresque - great coordinator - not so good Head coah and is quickly turning into a cartoon type personality and I beleive he is on borrowed time. As far as Edwards and Winslow - you can't argue these guys aren't studs, maybe Edwards but not K2 - he is a stud. Lewis - bah! I hope b/c he is f/a that he will pull a Cuba Gooding "SHOW ME THE MONEY" kinda year...

Again, while the defense was bad last year, the defense was absolutely slammed with injury. As long as Cleveland is just average on losing guys on defense, they should be far better as a team - they lost something like 12 guys last year. Quinn is a question mark, but their line will be better than last year (it was horrible last year, so it really can't do anything but go up), they have an easier schedule than last year, and they have decent talent. I don't think they're going to make the playoffs, but they're certainly going to fight for a non-losing record.

Again, while the defense was bad last year, the defense was absolutely slammed with injury. As long as Cleveland is just average on losing guys on defense, they should be far better as a team - they lost something like 12 guys last year. Quinn is a question mark, but their line will be better than last year (it was horrible last year, so it really can't do anything but go up), they have an easier schedule than last year, and they have decent talent. I don't think they're going to make the playoffs, but they're certainly going to fight for a non-losing record.

Injuries are an issue for every team and they did have them last year but they still couldn't stop the run when they were healthy w/the few times they had most of the regulars around. The defense will be better but they will also be on the field more than they should be - I am still concerned about the ability to stop the run. You are right the O-line was and has been horrible and it will be vastly improved but with Tucker getting slapped with a 4 game suspension doesn't help. Bentley may return and may not - that will be decided soon and even if he a fraction of what he was they have a strong core and soon to be formidable unit. I think last years schedule was not as tough as this years but only time will tell on that one -they get near a 500 season i will be happy.

I think Bi-Polar is putting it mildly. Does he just have midget hands? Seems to have a tough time grabbing the football. Probably wears a size 6 shoe and hung like a fly.

Is anyone else dying to see Caliban correct this particular misconception about Rexy?

Yo, is Jerome Bettis setting himself up as a bit of a jackass? Between calling Cowher's retirement at the start of last season, and this... he and Tiki Barber both seem to be throwing their former teams under the bus a little with their new media jobs. Any thoughts? Or is this simply good, objective discussion?

(Btw, in that article, I'm referring more to the Cowher/Kordell Stewart stuff than the injury thing).

Hey all, I've got a quick fantasy football question. Should I take the trade of Terry Glenn, Marty Booker, and Jeff Garcia (being offered) for Joey Galloway? I'm not really familiar with any of those guys except Jeff Garcia. :blush:

And go Carolina! I think we've got a decent chance at making the playoffs, mainly because I think the rest of the division will be pretty bad, except New Orleans. Maybe.

Yo, is Jerome Bettis setting himself up as a bit of a jackass? Between calling Cowher's retirement at the start of last season, and this... he and Tiki Barber both seem to be throwing their former teams under the bus a little with their new media jobs. Any thoughts? Or is this simply good, objective discussion?

(Btw, in that article, I'm referring more to the Cowher/Kordell Stewart stuff than the injury thing).

I'm sure money was involved in the decision, but the fact that it was obvious to everyone that Kordell's favorite target was the turf probably factored into the decision. The guy was a good athlete and had a couple of good years managing (i.e. not effing up), with talented players surrounding him, but as much as I enjoyed watching him, he was never going to be more than an average quarterback at best. I don't think many will buy into Bettis's opinion. Which is not to say that I don't think that these kind of things happen, or that there is not some kernel of truth there, but I don't remember any public outcry when Stewart was benched.

Hey all, I've got a quick fantasy football question. Should I take the trade of Terry Glenn, Marty Booker, and Jeff Garcia (being offered) for Joey Galloway? I'm not really familiar with any of those guys except Jeff Garcia. :blush:

And go Carolina! I think we've got a decent chance at making the playoffs, mainly because I think the rest of the division will be pretty bad, except New Orleans. Maybe.

Definitely not. I'm terrible at managing my own teams, but other trades are easy for me to see.

Galloway's a really underrated receiver, and the only person you'd regularly put in your rotation of those three would be Glenn. MAYBE.

Definitely not. I'm terrible at managing my own teams, but other trades are easy for me to see.

Galloway's a really underrated receiver, and the only person you'd regularly put in your rotation of those three would be Glenn. MAYBE.

Agreed, but it really depends on what the free agency market looks like. Number of teams and roster spots are the major factors. From the outside looking in, it doesn't look good though. Then again, Garcia looked strong in relief of McNabb last year, and he is playing in a similar offense.

Glenn vs. Galloway is probably a wash -- a pair of aging speed guys who are reasonably consistent but will never be more than a third-tier (or low second-tier) receiver. Booker is a non-entity -- unless he has some kind of career renaissance, there should never ever be a week during this season where it will look like a good idea to start Marty Booker. Garcia? How are you fixed for QBs? It may be possible that Garcia will be a top-15 QB this year, but I doubt he'll crack the top 10.

Seems like a pretty pointless trade to me that would just eat up roster spots.

If the other guy is, for some incomprehensible reason, desperate to get his hands on Joey Galloway, see if you can sucker a better QB, a good TE, or a backup RB out of him.

Rex Grossman just got schooled by a bunch of 5th graders.

''It's very easy to take snaps,'' said fifth-grader Jimmy Smolik, 10, a quarterback for the St. Linus Hawks in Oak Lawn. ''Just open your hands and wait for the ball, and then you close your hands.''

Brian Barry, 10, another Hawks quarterback, empathizes with Grossman.

"It seems easy, but it’s harder than it looks," Barry said. "You have to keep your hands open and wait for the ball. I’ve been taking snaps for two weeks — I get about 25 in practice and about 40 before practice — and I drop three or four of those.

"I’d tell Rex to try and not have so many turnovers and to get lower — he’s high a little bit — and to practice more."

Mike Ruane, 10, another Hawks center, offered some advice many Bears fans likely shouted at their television Monday.

"Tell them to keep their eyes open," he said.

"A hand problem is a possibility," said Myles Coleman, who coaches 8-year-olds on the Glen Ellyn Eagles. "But I would think that problem would have surfaced before now, like in high school or college.

"We’ve gone for a year without a snap problem. It’s not a difficult skill."

Archived