NFL Thread

Bazzlebane

But I would take our LB group -- especially with Patrick Willis' upside -- over the Cardinal LB group.

I'll grant you that Willis will make an impact, but I think perhaps that the Card's Defense has been sorely under-rated. I'll also grant you that the only team with an arguably worse record overall in the entire NFL is the Bangles, but I still think that this will finally be our year to shine.

I'll also grant you that the only team with an arguably worse record overall in the entire NFL is the Bangles, but I still think that this will finally be our year to shine.

Lions. World class in badness.

Lions. World class in badness.

But even they have had upper-tier hall of fame players and occasional brushes with greatness like the Bengals (although most were 50 years ago). The Cardinals only seeming brush with greatness was when they merged with the Steelers in 1944.

But even they have had upper-tier hall of fame players and occasional brushes with greatness like the Bengals (although most were 50 years ago). The Cardinals only seeming brush with greatness was when they merged with the Steelers in 1944.

Actually the Cards weren't too bad in the mid 70's with Coryell. They were a pretty tough team and put some points on the board with a punishing/bruising O line and an above average D. But aside that they have been a below average franchise for much of thier existence. Just putting that out there...

Actually the Cards weren't too bad in the mid 70's with Coryell. They were a pretty tough team and put some points on the board with a punishing/bruising O line and an above average D. But aside that they have been a below average franchise for much of thier existence. Just putting that out there...

That's true. It's as hard thinking of the Cards having a good coach as it is thinking of Coryell as a Cardinal.

True Story

I grew up in the neighborhood just north of San Diego/Jack Murphy/Qualcomm stadium and there is a road on a steep hill leading into the parking lot. Some of the guys I played baseball and football with as kids still live there and at one point a few years ago they put together a movement to name that gap in the mesa "Coryell Pass" - there is a sign there today testifying to their success.

When the City announced they'd do it, there was a ceremony at the Stadium and they all attended. Coach Coryell was there and asked if they'd mind if he went with them afterwards and just hung out. They were thrilled. Then coach got really stinking drunk and wouldn't leave. Kinda sad actually.

When the City announced they'd do it, there was a ceremony at the Stadium and they all attended. Coach Coryell was there and asked if they'd mind if he went with them afterwards and just hung out. They were thrilled. Then coach got really stinking drunk and wouldn't leave. Kinda sad actually.

I wish this would happen with a modern coach. A shame the Vikes fired Mike Tice like that.

Didn't the cowboys in the 90's do that with the stripper population in Dallas every week? Is that the same thing?

The named gaps after their coach? Or they got drunk and refused to leave? Which one were you intending, because I could see both having merit.

Actually, I will confess that from as far back as I could remember until the day I moved to Arizona I was a 49ers fan. Now I live here though, and it may be hard to be a Card... but I have always believed in the idea of cheering for your home team... Live here, Cheer here. That sort of thing. I know the record is horrible, I know the odds are long, but I will not give up hope as long as I reside in Az.

but I have always believed in the idea of cheering for your home team... Live here, Cheer here. That sort of thing. I know the record is horrible, I know the odds are long, but I will not give up hope as long as I reside in Az.

I respect this. Nothing I loathe more than fair-weather fans, and by definition, that's something Cardinal fans never could be.

There's some of the "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with" sentiment in your post. I'll have affection for the teams in other cities that I live in...but as someone who spent my whole childhood in the same city, that's the team I gotta stick with, come hell or high-water. You can't choose your parents and (with some specific exceptions) you can't choose your team.

Not that Cowboy Nation would know a thing about this.

I respect this. Nothing I loathe more than fair-weather fans, and by definition, that's something Cardinal fans never could be.

There's some of the "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with" sentiment in your post. I'll have affection for the teams in other cities that I live in...but as someone who spent my whole childhood in the same city, that's the team I gotta stick with, come hell or high-water. You can't choose your parents and (with some specific exceptions) you can't choose your team.

Not that Cowboy Nation would know a thing about this.

Well, I grew up in New Mexico... They do not have an NFL team... If they did, Texas would want one for sure... And I grew up around a strong contingent of Cowboys band-wagon riders... My Cousin Ronnie unloaded both Barrels of a shotgun into his brand new big screen T.V. the last time that the Cards knocked the Cowboys out of the Playoffs... My Uncle James did the same thing to his T.V. about 10 years previous (I forget what game it was)... I always hated the Cowboys, so the natural choice for me to gravitate to during that time was the 49ers... Now that I live in Arizona, I have a Home-Town Team and I have literally bled for the team and am happy to do so... I'd just like a winning season to top it off with and I'm especially eager right now because I am considering moving out of this state and I would like to be able to say that all of the blood, sweat and tears paid off in the long run...

I didn't think that Rex was going to be able to solve all of his problems, but damn...never would have expected something like this. It is only preseason, but you don't see pros look THIS sloppy even in the preseason.

I feel like I'm watching last season to a T. It's like retrovision. Really don't get what Grossman's deal is. Bad things don't just snowball for him, they avalanche.

Bears special teams is easily the best in football.

Still waiting for Benson to run hard. If Thomas Jones had his combination of size and speed, he'd have a couple 1,800 yard seasons to hang his hat on.

Is there any more of a one man team than the Colts? Harrison and Wayne are great, but is there any question that they'd be 5-6 games worse every season without Manning? He's going to make Addai into a stud, when really he's just okay.

I've been watching the game too, and while I'm sure this isn't an original thought in Bearland, I just thought I'd throw it out there anyway...

Assuming Rex doesn't get demonstrably more consistent in his play, would the Bears, as a team, be better off using a consistently mediocre QB like Griese than the all over the place Grossman? I kind of think so. When you've got a team with excellent defense/special teams, it wouldn't seem like you'd need to have that fantastic QB to win the big one (see the 2002 Buccaneers or the 2000 Ravens). A team like the Bears can win with a QB who's just OK, but we've seen they can't when Rexy stinks. And it's not like the Bears have the luxury of time to wait for Grossman to reach his full potential because they're contenders now.

I know it's the preseason, so I wouldn't bench Rex now... but if he's pulling this stuff in even one game in the regular season of 07, I'd strongly consider it, were I Lovie Smith.

Y'know, Grossman looked so bad in the first couple series for the bears, and the Colts looked really together, and I kind of missed most of the 2nd quarter. WTF happened that the Bears scored 17 points?

Archived