WoW - continued

Lyanna Stark

And aside from Shaffar, not a rough instance at all, so long as you play smart.

Pandemonius requires either two healers or substantial shadow resist gear on the tank, unless you're substantially overgeared (a friend can do it with only his SR aura, but he regularly discusses how overpowered the shaman healing him is). But a single typically geared for doing some heroics holy paladin could pretty easily heal me in my mishmash of greens of Shadow Protection. And as long as people don't kill themselves on dark shell, they hardly need any healing. But I have seen people literally suicide on that.

Shaffar is just a case of add overload; we actually normally let ourselves wipe on the adds to kill him, as little as I like that. Fortunately I got my tanking ring there ages ago.

My plan to not go to Outland yet at 58 so I can lvl up mining is going to depend on how long I can stand just grinding the mining skill. It's not so bad, but it is indeed not exciting, either. I gave up on cooking and fishing. I'll get to those when I get to those. I should have kept up with it as I lvl, but I was stoopud and now I'm too lazy to dedicate time to lvl it. I'll just mooch off of others. :P

Right now mining is at 192. I'm hoping to add 50 pts to it tonight. Then another day of 50, with luck, and I can start actually playing in Outland.

Apparently I need to do Mauradon soon; it has a good mace and a good shield for pally protection builds, and my sword of omen is showing its age. The Flurry Axe would also be good but likely impossible to get aside from buying it.

Terra, where are you mining? I found that Desolace has a lot of good nodes for mithril that a lot of people don't bother getting, but if you can still level from Iron make sure to do 1k needles/arathi highlands.

I still love fishing in the Barrens in the pools that can drop deviate fish. They can sell for 50s a pop, and if you have the recipe you can sell the deviate delights for 1g a pop or so. There's not a lot else to do in the Barrens, but I figure if you're fishing, you've not got a lot to do anyway.

It does help doing the fishing and cooking at the same time though, just because the good recipes for cooking will level you faster.

Kal, we should totally do Maraudon. Thursday or Fri night?

I am 5 points away from Turtle Bisque, which should get me to what, 225? Turtle meat seems to drop quicker than lion meat. I checked thottbot and it says that drop rate for lion meat is 3-5%. Blah. I checked out the cooking guide and I'm looking at hundreds of raptor meat and a lot of giant eggs, which don't drop that frequently. It'll take me a good 3 or 4 days to farm all of that, and it's farming where I am not gaining xp. I'm not sure that it's worth my time to do it right now. I'll lvl cooking eventually, but right now seems like a bad time.

As for mining, I was too optimistic. Only got 2 hrs of play, and I did a full circuit in Arathi and then Badlands. Only got 24 points up. I checked Desolace yesterday, and I got only 2 mithril mines doing the full loop. At least Badlands have about 6 to 8 mithrils, and Arathi has a lot of iron. Iron is now green for me, so I only get a point on every 4 or 5 digs. I am now about 10 points or so away from Thorium. I know Un-gorro has a few thoriums, and I can probably check Wester/Eastern Plague for more.

I messed around trying to get my computer running last night, and no dice. I think its a HD failure. If you guys do mauradon, be sure to pick up some of the quests. One will net you a descent sword, and the other a trinket. If I get up and running, id be gald to run you through, but thats not looking good right now.

Only really did dailies before heading off to play Warcraft 3 instead. Some jerk warlock, however, decided to deny me capturing the Hellfire towers. Horde has all 3. I ride to the first, it's empty, I slowly cap it, move to the next. Shortly after I reach the second, the first goes neutral again. Ok, someone is following me. Hopefully they'll just recap the towers behind me.

Well, I get two, but the third wasn't on the edge of going neutral like the other two were. So before I can get it to turn, a 70 warlock shows up to attack my 62. Bubble-hearthed as soon as he actually started attacking me.

Maybe I can grab that tower before Karazhan tonight.

I messed around last night with my mining dwarf pally, filling my bags with Rethban Ore in Redridge. So far I think this is the only quest reward item I have come across that you can collect after you have completed the quest requirements - usually the drops stop after you have got all one alt's needs. So I stuffed my bags with enough so that all my alts can do that quest chain without having to actually go into the cave themselves, and then stood in Lakeshire and made some decent money by shouting my wares to all and sundry.

I can feel a weekend of instancing coming on. My Dwarf pally has to do Deadmines for a paladin quest, then SFK; my warlock is about ready to venture into BFD. What level do you think it is possible for a druid to solo Wailing Caverns - Thranathiril needs something to do as well!

Aratan

As for mining, I was too optimistic. Only got 2 hrs of play, and I did a full circuit in Arathi and then Badlands. Only got 24 points up. I checked Desolace yesterday, and I got only 2 mithril mines doing the full loop. At least Badlands have about 6 to 8 mithrils, and Arathi has a lot of iron. Iron is now green for me, so I only get a point on every 4 or 5 digs. I am now about 10 points or so away from Thorium. I know Un-gorro has a few thoriums, and I can probably check Wester/Eastern Plague for more.

I ran circuits around the Tanaris zonewall for Mithril - could easily get 2 stacks a trip with the odd iron tossed in.

Friend was in EPL the other night practically tripping over Thorium mines, so it should be pretty easy to burn though those points.

Winterspring is another halfway decent place for Thorium, there are several rich spawns around the lake near Everlook.

IIRC, the omlette quest requires 10 giant eggs, some cheese you get from the innkeeper in 1000 needles, and ____ (can't remember).

Think it is Altercas ?Sharp you need, in which case it is in stock at Trias' Cheese in SW.

Aratan

Alterac Sharp... sounds right. either that or Swiss. Drops from certain humanoid mobs, but easier to buy.

just looked it up

Goto Gadgetzan and speak to Dirge Quikcleave to obtain Artisan cooking quest - Clamlette Surprize (he's in the tavern). Whilst your there, pick up the recipe for Tender Wolf Steaks.

You'll need 12 Giant Eggs, 10 zesty Clam Meat and 20 Alterac Swiss. The Alterac Swiss is the easiest to get, just goto the Inn in Thunderbluff and buy them from the Innkepper . Get the eggs from the Owlbeasts in The Hinterlands (the drop rate is way better than the Rocs in Tanaris). For the clam meat goto Steamwheedle Port in Tanaris and kill the Turtles. They will drop Big Mouth Clams at a good rate, which contain Zesty clam Meat.

Owlbeasts do have a better drop rate but the rocs are right there in tanaris along with the turtles.

Alterac shows up all over the place. I bought it in Arathi, but it sells all over. Instead of harvesting the other bits, I'd recommend just AH it. They usually sell.

I'll look into what lvl req we need for Maraudon, but tonight or tomorrow would be good. I can't use either until 48 anyway, but they're not 100% chance of dropping, so doing it a couple of times isn't the worst thing ever.

The trick to mining in desolace is the swimming - in the upper left corner of the map near the nagas, there are a bunch of mithril nodes and very few people go there. At your level there may be better places though.

As a Warlock you should have tailoring. Really, the end stuff you can make for yourself is just too good to pass up, and there are lots of things you can make along the way that are good. It sells decently too, and it's not too hard to level. After that, I'd recommend either mining or herbalism to get money to fund whatever.

I'm not sure what being an engineer would give a warlock other than the jumper cables (which are cool) and the various silly trinkets and stuff. The big things being an engineer gets you, IMO:

the ridiculous lvl 70 goggles (best for anyone, pretty much)

the +45 stam trinkets

Good cloth headgear through the early levels

useful helpers, like underwater breathing helmets (not useful for lock) or parachute cloaks

silly pets like the squirrel

AoE explosives, which are basically totally useless to you

ranged attacks, which are also basically totally useless to you

Guns and ammo, also useless to you

Odd pets, which aren't nearly as good as the pets you have

So...it doesn't seem like the best matchup to me, but I could be wrong.

Good to know. I guess I'll switch to tailoring. I read somewhere that it was a good combo with mining(which I have at slightly over a hundred I think, but I could have misunderstood it. I've spent a few gold on eng, but it could be worse since I haven't spent much time on it really.....

Mining goes well with engineering (mining goes well with Blacksmith/Engineering/Jewelcrafting) but that isn't to say that Engineering goes well with mining. Or, really, that engineering goes well with warlocks. :)

The main reason it seems to choose engineering right now is for fun or if your class doesn't really have anything better for it. For instance - Paladins don't really have a class-favorite right now, since blacksmithing doesn't have a lot of good items for pallies and none of the other classes are geared for paladins specifically. Engineering helps paladins in a couple ways - it gives good caster plate at some bits and gives a ranged weapon to a class that doesn't have any. But for a warlock...it's not so great.

It also has just some really fun shit. You can blow things up, blow locks up, blow chests up, and blow sheep up. You can shrink yourself or turn others into leper gnomes. You can get rocket boots, rocket helmets, and an actual rocket launcher. The Mechanical squirrel is the coolest pet in the game, especially when it swims. You can use an instant teleporter that can occasionally turn you into another race and sex or turn you into your evil twin. It's not an optimal profession, but it's damn fun for a lot of them.

Archived