GRRM guest of honour...

Peadar

Just got back from this year's Octocon, I had a great time and sat on panels about SF and Religion, SF and culture. Saw a great reading by guest of honour Alastair Reynolds, laughed through the vault of horror.

But the big news was the announcement of GRRM as the putative guest of honour for 2010. Who's going?

Glad it was a good con Peadar!

Me too! It's quite an intimate con too, which meant (at least this time round) plenty of chance meetings and conversations with the charming guest of honour.

Maybe I embarrass myself in front of George at Semana Negra, and don´t want to go when he is there.

I think George is used to people going into OMG!!! fangirl/fanboy mode when they meet him the first time. He's actually very sweet about it.

And no, I'm not talking from personal experience or anything. Why do you ask? ;)

Guest of Honor at Octocon, Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland

Well...Maynooth is supposed to be a nice town. :P But thought it would be in Dublin.

Just for non-Irish people who might be interested in going to this, Maynooth is not far from Dublin and is pretty handy to get to. There are buses, and I believe a train that go there.

BTW, it's 2009, not 2010, that GRRM is GoH for. ;)

I hope you're right about that, Ran! I may have misheard. It wouldn't be the first time...

And yes, Maynooth, is *very* easy to get to. Less than an hour's drive with plenty of busses and trains for the eco-friendlies.

• 4 weeks later...
This is something I am very interested in. What was the discussion like? Can you give any details on what people talked about?

It's a while back now already :)

However, questions were asked about the place of religion in fictional universes vs. its place in human evolution and personal lives.

There were atheists (Octocon *is* an SF convention) and True Believers and mystics (Octocon is also a Fantasy con).

The panel only lasted an hour. Had it been longer, I was dying to get in a bit of chat about David Zindell's Neverness and its sequels, or some of Paul Park's older work -- The Starbridge Chronicles etc.

It was fun, though and I'd love to do it all over again next year...

Archived