Who is doing NaNoWriMo this year?

Nymeria87

I was just stumbling over the "Who's writing a novel?" thread and was wondering who else besides me is participating in The National Novel Writing Month (Nanowrimo www.nanowrimo.org ) this November?

Who is comitting themselves to the task of writing 50,000 (or more? :P) words this November and what are your ideas?

I myself tried it for the first time last year and it was great fun, though I had to stop around 15,000 words because I had just started out with university and 28 credit hours (yes the German system is horrendous) really took their toll, along with some other issues.

But yeah, this year everything's changed :P I just moved to the U.S. and bascially have LOTS of time at my disposal as I'm waiting for my GreenCard just as a young and obviously rightless newly-wed immigrant from Germany is supposed to do :P

Anyway, my idea is sort of based on some role playing stuff I have done so far, but then again it is something totally different and based on an idea that's been haunting me for about one and half a year now and I can't wait to finally write some of this down and actually push myself to elaborate. It's a first-person narrative, staged in a world whose map is similiar to a European setting, the time however isn't any historical era, but completely imaginary. It's not quite a typical fantasy world as there are no non-human races, and "officially" anything magic, from alchemy to Sorcery is forbidden and strictly persecuted by the Eye and its Watch who rule at Helios, main province of Illyria. Anything magical is "Cleansed" and thus bereft of what used to make them human, leaving them mere hollow shells.

The narrator Ares is a child of obscure background, growing up in the Shadows, some kind of catacombs where thievery and rebellion thrive, but soon he'll get more entangled in the business of the Watch and the Eye than he would ever have been dreaded possible and rather ironc events take their cause...

So much to that...like I said, now to string those plot specks together and make them something more real and coherent as far as coherence is possible in this case :P

Anyway, what are your plans and outlines? Got any screen-names on Nano yet that you care to share?

Mine's Faile1987

I need to figure out how to just sit down and write, first. Seems I can't pour out a bunch of crap and edit it into a workable form later on...I always have to pore over phrasing and details and then get distracted by the internet or something shiny. It isn't like I can't finish anything, of course...I've got a couple of completed short stories (13,000 and 3,000 words, respectively). But then there's all the incomplete novels and short stories piled beside those two. And what a pile.

I think I just need focus.

I need to figure out how to just sit down and write, first.

I've never done NaNoWriMo, I'm not a writer, but supposedly that's what it's all about. No editing, no worrying if it's crap, just getting it on the page. And, of course, averaging 1,666 2/3 words per day.

I'm going to have a crack at it, just to see if I can finish something for a change! It sounds like one of those things where you can't lose, even if you don't finish you've still got something that you can go back to in the future.

I really like your basic premise, Nymeria87. Although I wonder, is it a historical setting (since both Illyria and Helios are names from history (Illyria was a region in Italy, see Rome, and Helios means "sun" in Greek, as in the city Heliopolis) with a twist, or a completely imaginary world with a close similarity to the olden times of the Mediterranean.

I would like to enter such a contest, but my English is far from good enough. I have several premises for my own setting, which is also pseudo-European but without any magic at all. Indeed inspired by the great GRRM.

But, Nymeria87, I'd like to see the results. It's interesting. Growing up in the catacombs and all that. cool.

Ha. If I weren't perpetually overloaded at the office, maybe. The fragments of a story are coming together in my brain, poked and prodded and pushed together in my idle moments, which are few these days. The story is about revenge, mercy, redemption, brotherhood, and an organization that, if reified, will end up bearing many similarities to the Society of Jesus. I might still try it if I can do some setup work and plotting in the next week.

Good luck to all of you who did take the plunge.

I really like your basic premise, Nymeria87. Although I wonder, is it a historical setting (since both Illyria and Helios are names from history (Illyria was a region in Italy, see Rome, and Helios means "sun" in Greek, as in the city Heliopolis) with a twist, or a completely imaginary world with a close similarity to the olden times of the Mediterranean.

But, Nymeria87, I'd like to see the results. It's interesting. Growing up in the catacombs and all that. cool.

That's exactly the plan, Slynt. I'm a Latin Major (or used to be) and so I'm going to grasp some bits and pieces of Greek and Roman mythology and culture, maybe change a bit here and there to make it fit in better and add it to a world that's Fantasy with a mythological twist. I don't intend to copy much in terms of storyline, but will refer to some events. Like my main character's name's Ares, referring to the Anchient God of War and revenge, and in the story his name will also be related to that, but then again his path will lead him somewhere else.

If you have a LJ, add Nymeria87 as I'll post it friendslocked there, if you're interested :)

Dante: Good ideas, I bet it would be a good thing to work with :D

I'm participating for the fourth time (failed horribly in 2004, even more so in 2005 and succeeded in 2006). Be warned: once you've tried it, you'll be doing it again and again and again whatever the circumstances.

This year I'm writing about a god who gets accidentally killed and needs to be replaced.

Slynt, you don't have to write in english, any language will do. The whole thing is quite international by now. I'll be writing in german.

Good luck, Nymeria87 with your novel. Sounds great!

Okay, I'm gonna take the plunge...I haven't been writing all year because I'm too busy, and it's killing me...just gonna attempt, sure I'll probably fail miserably, but at least I'll get something written!

ETA: my NaNoWriMo screenname is noranne

I'm in again this year. My id is davebwood if anyone wants to be my NaNo buddy.

My dad and I are co-authoring a historical fiction novel based on the life of one of our ancestors- he was one of the first settlers in southwest Virginia, fought Indians and fought in the American Revolution.

Archived