Goodkind XXXI: We read it so you don't have to

Albert

From today's LemmingWatch - an LJ post on how the SoT series should have ended... that wasn't one of you guys, was it?

There's actually a bona fide objectivist among the comments, who ends with this endearing footnote:

(*) BTW, "Goodkind" seems like the wrong name for an Objectivist. It should be "Goodstrong" or "Goodlogic" or maybe "Goodbenevolent". "Kindness" is taken as a code word for *altruism* -- one of the primary evils of the world (per Objectivists).

That's a pretty good thread title. "GOODKIND XXXII: wrong name for an Objectivist".

I've just had some great fan-mail on my Stone of Tears review:

Dude...The @$%@ Is the matter with you? Aside from what you deem as bad plot, and poor writeing. Terry Goodkind can write superbly. His choice of words, and the story he wrote. Deals with real life situations, A fantasy novel, one can relate to. Not done a whole lot. I vote you be drug into the street, shot, and castrated. For your rant.

:rofl:

Now for the anti-Goodkind (Gene Wolfe), in a letter he wrote to an aspiring writer in the 1980s:

There is a certain type of writer who sees his stories primarily as means for advancing his opinions, to which humanity is too sensible to listen when they are presented plain. When we read his works, we find the characters making speeches, and it is of those speeches (which the reader soon learns to skip) that he is most proud. You are not one of those writers.

Who would have thought that Wolfe would have pegged Goodkind so well over 10 years before WFR's release? :P

I'll be damned (more?)...searching through that site, I see someone deleted that thread about me over a year after it was posted. I wonder who it was and if it was due to all the richness it provided us? Of course, I did have excerpts from it in a retort I made soon after reading it... ;)

You know, DF, thinking back on it and looking through that old blog of yours, you gotta admit, M* and the anti-lemmings can occasionaly get a nice, if brief, little conversation going about the state of "literature" across some of the blogosphere.

Now, that being said, it's usually just a couple of one sided arguments since one side will seemingly not actually listen or read anything that is contrary to their world view, but hey, we got 30+ threads out of it here, eh? :P

Something like that.

Now for the anti-Goodkind (Gene Wolfe), in a letter he wrote to an aspiring writer in the 1980s:

Who would have thought that Wolfe would have pegged Goodkind so well over 10 years before WFR's release? :P

Now THAT'S eerie.

Does getting one's own palace count as a kind of self-improvement? Or does Objectivism not really have much to say concerning non-materialist attitudes?

Absolutely not. It's communism wrapped in a brick thrown through the window of freedom. It is called the People's Palace, afterall.

What made me lol when i realized that everyone in the Sword of Truth series are Objectivists. The whole fucking series is nothing but various takes on Objectivism.

When i realized this i lol'd heartily. Everyone in these books want what they want, when they want it, how they want it, and do whatever it takes to get it.

Richard is more polite than most, but still he would slash'n'hack his way through people defended only with thier hatred for oral celery to get what he wanted if he wanted it bad enough.

Then again, the series started to go downhill at Soul of Fire. The books started to become too much about Objectivism after that book until the very end.

I thought Rachel and Gratch were pretty cool

and occasionally Nicci and Zed have their moments.

If Terry had a good editor, cut back on the philosophy by 99%, didn't copy so much from Jordan in the early books, had more realistic characters, he could occasionally create a page turner.

flame on.

Archived