October 2008 conventions

Angalin

Seriously, Fargo and/or Calgary are my best chances to see GRRM in person. And he is even GoH at the Fargo con. Am I the only boarder who might possibly attend? Calgary is a longer drive, or a quick hop in a plane, and I have people to see there.

Either one takes serious planning due to the kiddies, so I have to start thinking about it early.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to Denver or Calgary, the airfare from Norway is about the same. WorldCon is huge and the BwB presence is going to be huge, but I really enjoyed the World Fantasy in Saratoga with their impressive author/fan ratio and nice goodie bag of books.

***Turns on supernerd mode***

I'll presumably make Denver. Everything else is not particularly likely. Maybe the Spanish one but I don't think many BwBers can squeeze that in because of Denver. And maybe Calgary because people said so many good things about Saratoga. There is at least a decent gap between Denver and Calgary but Calgary is not that easy to get to. Oh, and I did consider Blacksburg for a while when I thought it had to be close to Washington. But it isn't. Fargo, no chance.

Denver versus Calgary is a tricky one, as Calgary sounds a lot better for meeting authors plus people like Erikson, Bakker and Pat are presumably more likely to make it, whilst the extra two months of savings will be cool. OTOH there's a ton of BwBers at Denver I want to meet and the furry-baiting will be amusing.

A tricky decision.

Definite for Denver, and very likely for Calgary (going to depend on funds and schedules, but I really enjoyed Saratoga this year). Then again, I didn't get to go to many panels because of the organizational aspect of my role at WFC, and the unfortunate fact that I had to get a story to the printers.

I found some info about what airlines fly into Calgary here, if that helps anyone. Zoom stops flying around the end of October, unfortunately, but Air Canada usually has a number of sales for travelling around that time of year.

but Calgary is not that easy to get to.

What, no direct Dublin-Calgary flight?

There must be direct flights between Dublin and Toronto though. And for sure there are flights from Toronto to Calgary. Not that the Toronto airport is that great for connections.

I'm pretty sure there are also non-stop flights to Calgary from Montreal, Vancouver, Chicago and Denver.

What, no direct Dublin-Calgary flight?

There must be direct flights between Dublin and Toronto though. And for sure there are flights from Toronto to Calgary. Not that the Toronto airport is that great for connections.

Dublin is incredibly badly served when it comes to getting to Canada. The Irish and Canadian governments had signed this really old restrictive law that prevented much travel between the 2 countries. It did change this year but it still means that next year we are only likely to have a summer daily servive to Toronto and weekly services to Montreal and Vancouver.

You did get me curious about my other options though. United is the only airline that flies from Chicago to Calgary. But since United don't travel from DUB, that's not particularly useful. Similarly, Air Canada flying to JFK isn't much use and there is no flights to Boston from Calgary. I might have to go via Heathrow or Frankfurt or try Zoom via Manchester. Problem with an airline like Zoom is that i'd have to check in by bags twice. And I dislike going backwards. :P

So not easy to get to!

• 1 month later...

Have been doing some pricing up on Calgary and it's looking good, based on the current prices. Return flights from Gatwick to Calgary direct start from £470 for a good deal but it looks like the 'normal' going rate is about £650. Hotel prices seem hefty though, Canadian $150+ per night. Hmm.

Are many BwBers seriously up for this? It's not looking too bad but I'd probably only be tempted if there was a good crowd going and we got some word on other authors attending. At the moment the confirmed ones seem to be:

Elizabeth Bear

David Drake

Dave Duncan

The Brothers Haldeman

Barbara Hambley

Kelly Link

Todd Lockwood

Tad Williams

Guy Gavriel Kay

LE Modesitt Jr

GRRM

News of Lynch, Bakker and Erikson attending would definitely raise my interest, but I gather that Bakker and Erikson did it as a last-minute thing at Saratoga? Hmmm.

Archived