Wheel of Time

me399

I just finished up Feast for Crows and I just cant find anything to read. I was looking at my bookshelves and saw 10,000 pages of wheel of time staring back at me. I am gonna do it, I am going to finish this series. I started once and got through the second book but then got distracted by other things and never went back. I did really like the first 2 books, I loved the prologue for the first book. I did find the first 1/3 of book one a little slow but I did really like what I read of the series.

I know many find the later books really slow, nothing happening, but I just feel the need to read these. I did hear good things about the last book. I really wish Mr. Jordan cold have lived long enough to complete this series but from what I have heard he left extensive notes on how everything should end.

I also wanted to know what books in the series deal more with the Aes Sedai, I love these characters. I know that some find them boring but I find there parts fascinating.

To mix things up I was thinking of reading The Prince of Nothing series too, I would probably rotate books as I went to keep things fresh. I don't know much about this series, can someone give me a little insight on it. How many book are in it, is the whole series finished yet?

Wish me luck :)

To mix things up I was thinking of reading The Prince of Nothing series too, I would probably rotate books as I went to keep things fresh. I don't know much about this series, can someone give me a little insight on it. How many book are in it, is the whole series finished yet?

First of all, enjoy your Wheel of Timing- there's a lot of shit in there, but there's a lot of good too, especially in the early books.

As for PON, it is a completed trilogy that is part of a total seven book series (of one trilogy and two duologies- the next book will be called The Aspect Emperor and will be the first book of the first duology). The third book of the trilogy (The Thousandfold Thought), which ends a major plotline, is nonetheless open ended and the trilogy should therefore not be taken as standalone- not, say, a Hobbit to a Lord of the Rings. But the Prince of Nothing is a fantastic trilogy, mixing philosophical and historical insights with some good old fashioned story telling and some great characters. Its one of my favourites, I recommend it, and I'm looking forward to the Aspect Emperor more than any other book except for A Dance With Dragons.

I'm planning on buying WoT series, but I just don't want to get all caught up and then find myself at the end of the series that is unfinished... has there been an author with apermission to end this series, or at least general knowledge of how it's going to end?

And how many books were planned?

I'm looking forward to the Aspect Emperor more than any other book except for A Dance With Dragons.

The Aspect-Emperor is the name of the duology and the two volumes that will make it up will apparently be called The Great Ordeal (due in January 2009) and The Horns of Golgotterath.

I'm planning on buying WoT series, but I just don't want to get all caught up and then find myself at the end of the series that is unfinished... has there been an author with apermission to end this series, or at least general knowledge of how it's going to end?

And how many books were planned?

Twelve books were planned and Jordan completed eleven (plus a prequel novel) before he died. He had completed significant amounts of Book 12, A Memory of Light, but not the majority of the book. He did, however, successfully complete a very detailed outline of what was going to happen next. Brandon Sanderson is going to finish off the novel with the help of Jordan's assistants and his editors. The book is currently scheduled for late 2009.

Initially it was planned as a trilogy. Then as a sextette. And then Jordan decided 12 was the magic number. And 12 is where it shall be.

Unless of course, in the distant future, Brian Herbert and KJAnderson receive permission to write the off-shoot novels. And novels that fill in gaps between periods. And other assorted amusements.

The Aspect-Emperor is the name of the duology and the two volumes that will make it up will apparently be called The Great Ordeal (due in January 2009) and The Horns of Golgotterath.

Ahh yes, had completely forgotten about that development. Thanks Wert.

I'm the same. I want to read some of fantasy's roots and there's got to be some really good story and characters in the series. Yet, I dont want to start it but get put off by a really terrible book half-way through, and never finish the series. I think this lot might be a summer challenge, to get through the works after the must reads of Bakker, Erikson and Abercombie, which I haven't got round to yet.

I am on convoluted re-read, and am on The Fires of Heaven

The books are still pretty strong now, but its getting a little bogged down with many Aes Sedai, plus the bickering and stuckupishness of Nynaeve and Elayne and Egwene is getting worse.

I love these parts and characters. Maybe I will still like al the later books in the series.

I also wanted to know what books in the series deal more with the Aes Sedai, I love these characters. I know that some find them boring but I find there parts fascinating.

If you like Aes Sedai, you'll definitely want to read New Spring, the prequel novel.

Is the style simmilar to asoiaf (char development, magic, non-cliche)?

Magic is much, much more potent and prevalent in WoT than asoiaf. It's one reason I found Song to be so refreshing-people didn't kill armies by themselves. But WoT is still worth reading, because there are some great parts that make up for the rest.

I re-read WoT over the summer. I took a perverse pleasure out of dragging those hardcovers out to the beach with me. Reading those books reminded me how much I had loved this series, with all its faults. It was the first series I ever got to read and the one that hooked me. So I was all pumped and ready after reading everything and remembering all the little details.. and then Jordan died in September... Now I'm just sitting back waiting for Sanderson to do the job and hoping it will be good enough. I know it won't be the same thought.

As far as the Prince of Nothing series goes, I've looked for them on Amazon but they seem to be out of print or something, all I can find is 'used and new' by private sellers, and I'm not in the habit of buying such.

Was this GRRM's nod to Robert Jordan.

In a Feast for Crows, one of the characters mentions how Archmaester Rigney had written that history was a wheel and that human nature was cyclical.

Yes, it probably was, and it's way cool.

Very good eye. Yes, the Maester mentioned in AFFC was a reference to Jordan. Rigney was RJ's real surname and well, I shouldn't have to explain the "Time is like a wheel" line.

The series is definitely worth a read. Some cool ideas, a few really good characters that you get to watch grow up, and good prose through out. Though it couldn't be any more different than ASoIaF. Magic is very prevalent throughout the series and plays a major role. The story focuses on a small group and not a giant cast of hundreds vying for one thing.

As far as Brandon Sanderson, I trust him to do a good job. I've read his debut, Elantris, and the first of his new trilogy, Mistborn: The Final Empire, and they both were good reads with original ideas in the sometimes-stale fantasy universe. He's following Jordan's very extensive notes and outlines and has Jordan's wife (who also edited all the books) working right with him. Seriously, try to pick out the parts Jordan had already written and what Brandon had to write.

Is the style simmilar to asoiaf (char development, magic, non-cliche)?

dont start WoT expecting something similar to asoiaf. WoT is clearly and significantly inferior in almost every criteria u can use to judge fantasy series.

as for character development, there really isnt any to talk of. all the characters are shallow and neatly fit inside one-word descriptions. WoT is very cliched. there is lots and lots of magic, in fact many would say too much- there are main characters who're not kick-ass magicians, but WoT revolves around magic and magicians.

having said that, i thoroughly enjoyed the first 5-6 books when i was much younger (14-17), but the later books were terrible and i stopped at 9 or 10 i think. i'm sure if i tried to read it again, i'd find it way too childish and simple to enjoy. but still, the first few books were good..

Archived