Galway Eurocommie Meet 25-27 April!

Werthead

I think that the weather will be the deciding factor. The weather is extremely unpredictable here, and I'm reliably informed that it's even more variable than normal in April/May time. Whilst visiting the Aran Islands and cycling round them will be fun, it will be less so if the day is completely soaked out ;)

After struggling with Aer Arran's recalcitrant website for a while I've booked the flights now, arriving Thursday afternoon (from Luton) and leaving on Monday.

Now all I need to do is get round to sorting out where I'm going to be sleeping.

Are we going to do a group booking like we did in Oxford, or are we all just finding our own accommodation? I don't mind either way, but it would be sensible to start soon in case some of the places start to get booked up.

I think that the weather will be the deciding factor. The weather is extremely unpredictable here, and I'm reliably informed that it's even more variable than normal in April/May time. Whilst visiting the Aran Islands and cycling round them will be fun, it will be less so if the day is completely soaked out wink.gif

Being Scottish I have this in-built assumption that weather is always unpredictable and may start raining at any time.

Being Scottish I have this in-built assumption that weather is always unpredictable and may start raining at any time.

As a Mancunian, I have the same assumption.

Although if the outing is on Sunday, I won't be able to join it, as I'm leaving that day.

Are we going to do a group booking like we did in Oxford, or are we all just finding our own accommodation? I don't mind either way, but it would be sensible to start soon in case some of the places start to get booked up.

That's a good point. :) Did we agree on a hostel? Wert has got a nice summary on when people are attending in the opening post but i'm not sure does everyone require accommodation there? If we get that list too, then perhaps we can book somewhere on Friday?

Nice one for the people using the Aer Aran option. From the prices I was looking at the extra you pay versus Ryanair will be quickly swallowed by the public transport costs from Shannon and especially Dublin.

I guess this is a good time to repost the earlier link to the Sleepzone. Looks like a reasonably-sized hostel in a half-decent area of the town (it's not right on any of the major party hotspots but it's about a two-minute walk to Eyre Square) and it's easy to find: walk straight across Eyre Squre from the train/bus station, go between the Dunne Stores and the Supermaxx, and the hostel is on the other side of the Marks & Sparks/Debenhams shopping mall.

Anubiel reported she's staying in the Meyrick, which is absolutely gargantuam and dominates the entire southern face of Eyre Square. It may be a bit on the steep side for some people, but here's the website.

I need to speak to my housemates but I think I can put maybe one person up at my place. I can kip on the sofa, which isn't a problem. One of my housemates is reporting that he might be moving out around that time, so I may be able to fit in a few more bodies, but that's not definite at the moment, so we'll discount that until it is confirmed.

Hey guys,

I'll be going to NYC Comicon ending Apr 20 to pick up BantamSpectra's magazine with a Theon chapter in it. I assume some of you will want copies. Briefly, they will be free except for shipping and $3 USD to the BWB. Is there some convenient place to ship them where you can all pick them up? Does someone actually live in Galway? That would save on shipping costs for a lot of you, though I would still require the 3 for the BWB.

You can post them to me John. Pm Me for an addy when you need one :)

Cool. I'll need to know just the number of people that want them to ship off the mags and to get the 3 USD for each. I don't need to know who got them. So you'll PayPal me the BWB donations after I ship the mags? Cool.

:)

No problem. Who else has an addy in Galway? I will just ship them to him/her. They can PayPal me the BWB donations and we're done.

I know what to do now. I'll post them to Wert, who lives in Galway, and he can distribute them to the Euros that want a copy. Problem solved.

It does seem bizarre that there isn't a bus link from Galway to its airport.

It seems quite normal to me

As Mel actually said, it's likely there is an indirect bus link to the airport instead. It's likely to be a cowshed, not LAX, is all I have to add.

I might be able to pick up some folks in Waterford, so the stuck-for-a-flight people can check that one if they wish.

No problem. Who else has an addy in Galway? I will just ship them to him/her. They can PayPal me the BWB donations and we're done.

I know what to do now. I'll post them to Wert, who lives in Galway, and he can distribute them to the Euros that want a copy. Problem solved.

Since I, 1) live in Galway and 2) actually have a PayPal account that could be a good idea. However I will also be totally skint. If it's okay to wait until people have given me the money for them at the meet (and I'll want a copy too :) ) I can then stick it in the bank account afterwards and paypal it over to you. That may take until about the 30th April/1st of May though but should be fine.

At the current exchange rate $3.00 translates to approximately £1.50 which translates very roughly to about €2.25, but given how the rates have shifted in the last few weeks it may be different by the end of April.

Since I, 1) live in Galway and 2) actually have a PayPal account that could be a good idea. However I will also be totally skint. If it's okay to wait until people have given me the money for them at the meet (and I'll want a copy too :) ) I can then stick it in the bank account afterwards and paypal it over to you. That may take until about the 30th April/1st of May though but should be fine.

At the current exchange rate $3.00 translates to approximately £1.50 which translates very roughly to about €2.25, but given how the rates have shifted in the last few weeks it may be different by the end of April.

Cool stuff. When people sign up, they get a copy reserved. That's how it works. I will start a thread in AFFC for it. I don't mind waiting until the 30th April to get the donations. Did you get my PM, Wert? More details in there.

I'm going to suggest leaving my spare bed space for emergency use in case of a latecomer or something. I think Jo is contacting people in the near future regarding spare bed space at hers. I'd definitely recommend sorting out the accomodation by the end of this week.

I spoke to my manager today who knows the Aran Islands well and she said there's no way you can see everything the Islands have to offer in a single day, especially in just 5-6 hours between ferry trips. You have to focus on what it is that you want to do and just do that. She suggested Dun Aengus and thence to the curious 'American Pub' on Inishmore. You're also not going to have enough time to move between the Islands, meaning you get to miss out on such legendary tourist attractions as Father Ted's House ;)

An alternative plan, if we were willing to commit two days to the mission, would be to coach it round to the Cliffs of Moher and the scenery round there, and then get the late ferry over to Inisheer from Doolin in County Clare (it's a shorter trip) and then bounce up the islands to Inishmore, returning to Galway late the next day. However, this is a major timesink, would probably be rather expensive, would entail finding accomodation on the islands overnight and would rather shut out those who didn't want to go from 50% of the whole event, so I would not recommend it.

It is worth reiterating at this point that the Aran Islands are 25 miles off the coast and you can't even see them from Galway. Getting to them and around them is not to be taken lightly.

So - are we block booking a hostel or just doing our own thing? I'm confused :( (it's a common state for me to be in, I know

So lets create a list. :) People who are looking for a hostel:

Ten

Pod

Just ensure your dates on correct in the opening post! I'll pick the Sleepzone because that has been mentioned a couple of times. :) I'm happy to book it Friday.

I might be able to pick up some folks in Waterford, so the stuck-for-a-flight people can check that one if they wish.

Whatever about Galway, Waterford really is small! :P

Archived